Good choice for gas cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have used the metal gas cans in the past. I don't have an aftermarket bumper with gas can storage right now but if I got one would also like to get cans that are the correct size for most bumper carriers.

So I think the Scepters are the way to go.

Everyone says to ditch the EPA spouts, and get the Scepter spout kits and the Scepter closed caps.

Are the add on vents a good idea? If they don't make a big difference I would rather not drill the cans.

Thanks

I use Scepter fuel cans. Mine leaked until I got the Scepter cap wrench. Also get the Scepter pour spout and you’ll have no issues filling your gas tank. With those 2 items the cans are almost perfect. The only complaint I have is that the cans will swell a tiny bit when the ambient temperature increases. That’s not a problem, but sometimes I have to wiggle them out of the bumper carrier. All in all, they’re really great.

The cap with vent and pour connector is only on the water cans. The fuel cap is solid. Use the fuel cap for fuel, it’s a superior design. Also the cap wrench is different.

Last edited:
Ok, was a little confused because i could not find the Scepter caps or spouts on Amazon. I don't think Amazon can/will sell the Scepter non EPA spouts in the USA.
Found them both on Ebay though.

Scepter fuel + Jagmate + cap wrench = Fuel vapor free (primarily for in cabin storage)

The Jagmate certainly isn't cheap but since installing them onto my two Scepter fuel cans there is zero vapor smell.

Cap Flange -Aluminum- for your Scepter MFC

How much are Scepter fuel containers now? Jagmte has them for $165 new with their cap flange. Are the fuel containers really selling for over $100 new?

I get mine here. That jagmte store is really out of line with prices. I've been using the Sceptre military cans for
years and I don't know why you'd need to by an aluminum flange insert. Can order a new one for 1/3 the price should
it fail. I've not had any issues.
Parts & Accessories

I probably own 10 steel NATO surplus cans. I've never had leak issues, even stored on their sides, unless the gasket gets damaged.
The Wavian cans are more expensive than Midwest . Midwest doesn't use a NATO spout rather a twist on but half the price. I don't worry much about the spouts anymore as I carry the cans in one of my carrier baskets. I swing the can arm open where I can empty the can right into
the filler using a shaker siphon. I don't bother to ever lift the cans at all, filling them or emptying them

About Our Company

https://www.amazon.com/SUYIZN-Sipho...292&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=shaker+siphon&psc=1

I get mine here. That jagmte store is really out of line with prices. I've been using the Sceptre military cans for
years and I don't know why you'd need to by an aluminum flange insert. Can order a new one for 1/3 the price should
it fail. I've not had any issues.
Parts & Accessories

That price is MUCH more palatable, but they won't ship outside of Canada on the Scepter fuel cans.... Bummer. I might just need to visit Canada soon.

I probably own 10 steel NATO surplus cans. I've never had leak issues, even stored on their sides, unless the gasket gets damaged.
The Wavian cans are more expensive than Midwest . Midwest doesn't use a NATO spout rather a twist on but half the price. I don't worry much about the spouts anymore as I carry the cans in one of my carrier baskets. I swing the can arm open where I can empty the can right into
the filler using a shaker siphon. I don't bother to ever lift the cans at all, filling them or emptying them

About Our Company

https://www.amazon.com/SUYIZN-Sipho...292&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=shaker+siphon&psc=1

I have never heard of a shaker siphon before, but that is a really elegant and simple solution to getting the fuel into the tank! Thanks for sharing that product. I am will probably just go with a NATO style metal can.

Scepter fuel + Jagmate + cap wrench = Fuel vapor free (primarily for in cabin storage)

The Jagmate certainly isn't cheap but since installing them onto my two Scepter fuel cans there is zero vapor smell.

Cap Flange -Aluminum- for your Scepter MFC

hummmmm. jagmate interesting. I haven't seem to have inside storage problems with respect to fumes. I used to, and it was that dang spout after I used it. So now it rides outside

I also use NATO surplus cans. I have a problem with the Orange liner paint coming off. I have to filter the fuel as I empty it. Or my cruiser filters look like there is orange siliconein them. And the seals leak. But I don't store them or drive with them on the cruiser.
I bought mine from a fellow Mudder.

Costco carries a cheap sceptre jerry can with a more normal spout. I replaced the spout with simple caps from amazon, and use a super siphone to get the fuel in the tank. Zero mess, and I don't have to hold the can up. I either siphon directly from the roof, or balance the can on the 3rd row sliding window of my 80.

I bought some metal cans from Harbor Freight and they work great.

Costco and harbor freight cans I've used for years, as well as three or four NATO surplus cans. I've never been able to figure out the nonsence of the CARB spout. I just go old school with a funnel.
015.JPG

I use two nato surplus cans as well. I've got the flexible metal spout for them and I've thought about adding a small brass petcock to the bottom to aid in venting while pouring. They take FOREVER to empty into my tank! I find myself squeezing the can, then letting it burp, then squeeze, etc

I've learned to hold the can sideways to pour leaving enough room at the mouth to vent. I was watching old footage from WWII and noticed the GIs filling up jeeps that way. As noted, I pour into a funnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom