Good 24V Stereos and Accessories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, I have a HJ75 that is 24 volt and was about to get a converter and go through all that madness of isolating it from the battery for the stereo memory, but then I decided to search for 24V accessories and found more than I thought. Below is a link to the two 12/24V radios I found. One is from clarion and one is for excavators. They are not the most amazing stereos but they seem like the would be fine for what I do. Really the only reason I thought about converting from 24V is because of the stereo. Most other accessories seem to be easily purchased in 24V.

So I thought I would start a thread to see if people know of any good 24V stereos that can be obtained in the US because I would think most people convert mostly for that reason.

Amazon.com: Clarion RG9451 Compact, Dustproof, Weatherproof and Vibration Resistant 12/24V Audio Unit: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Excavator Radio with AUX and USB Input,Speaker System ,Heavy Duty ,All World Frequency Am/fm Radio with Panel Lighting for Excavator, Tractor, Truck, Kart: Electronics

I have a ICT 24V to 12V converter and it's not cheap... but some very good converter can be found at +/- 100$ which is pretty close to the radios in your link.

Depend of your project and your wallet but a converter is always a good buy since it can also powered a CB and other small stuff like inboard light and 12V aux source, USB port and a radio as well. Usually 24V devices are not so cheap and readily available (at last, here in north america)

All in all, a 24V radio can solve the converter needed but can bring other electrical ''issue'' if you have other electrical stuff to install in your rig.

Last edited:
Troopie75, I agree with you.

Getting 12 volts is not hard but I want my converter to be linked to the ignition switch: I don't want that thing wired straight from the battery since a fault can drain the batteries.
Even rigging the converter to be a "switched" circuit is not that bad

BUT
Stereos need a constant trickle of juice for "memory" functions. This is compounded as most stereos now pull their amperes through that same Memory wire (usually yellow). The red "power" lead is really just a trigger telling the radio that the ignition switch is on.

I am going to install a 24V piece of junk stereo similar to the one you found for excavators.

All 24v cruiser I've owned have had a converter from the factory exactly for the radio. Doesn't yours have one? What sort of radio did it have before?

Factory converters are switch-activated and will not supply constant power for memory most all modern head units require. In addition the output amperage on those converters may struggle to power a modern head unit.

The radio that was in it was center tapped off the 24V system. I didn't want to deal with running a converter for just the memory because I work in remote areas of Nigeria so I don't want the possibility of running down my batteries or having the hassle of disconnecting them all the time. I measured the wires that appeared to be stock and they were reading 24V but its possible they bypassed it when installing the aftermarket radio.

Where would the stock converter be located?

I so far have been able to buy everything 24V except for a backup camera which I used local small converters and because they are run off the ignition circuit there isn't any battery drain.

All 24v cruiser I've owned have had a converter from the factory exactly for the radio. Doesn't yours have one? What sort of radio did it have before?

Well, the stock radio power wire in my JDM BJ74 shows 24V. Not sure where a stock converter would be.

I found a 24V USB charger dash port that runs off the old 24V cig lighter power.

On my cheap-o 12V converter I have my e-locker, cig lighter and provision for 12V gauge illuminations.

JDM BJ74 does not have a converter. Canadian ones do and it lives above the glove box.

JDM BJ74 does not have a converter.
Well, that explains my lack.
The 720 Watt Pyle converter I installed seems kinda junky.
Once I get my 12V gauges put into my dash pod, I may spring for a smaller, more robust unit.

Check these out.
Organized by output voltage and wattage on far left column.
24V DC/DC Converter catalog, to convert voltage up or down, retail, wholesale, off-the-shelf and custom, DC/DC 5 watts to 1500 watts, output voltage between 1.5V and 48V, switchmode and linear

I have a 60 amp 24 to 12 converter. It is fairly large but it does not get in the way. It powers my radio equipment, accessory gauges and my trailer power/lighting.
20170205_160601.jpg
20170410_180212.jpg

20170206_160709.jpg

There are a few nice 24V amps out there, intended for marine use, that I was considering for the BJ74. However I'm not sure if it makes it too much easier using a 24V amp with a 12V head unit?

@cruiserdan I am guessing you have a much smaller converter that provides constant power for radio memory?

No I do not. I reset the radio. It is no biggie and the truck may sit for weeks at a time.

I've installed 2 converters, etc, not that hard to work your way through, and I did put a kill switch in the for the radio converter, but honestly I hardly even flick it off, other converter for plugs in cargo only activate once the switch is turned on

24 VOLT Radio Options

The latest AXIS 12/24 volt units found on eBay from AU have Bluetooth, USB 2.1 amp charger, etc and a rear backup camera for a single DIN 3" screen. AX1805BT+RVC About $200US delivered in a couple of weeks. Have to get the one with the +RVC if you want the 24v backup camera. Wanted low key back up and if I can't get a 24v Double Din with Apple Car Play, then this is the next best thing. Might get to use the other DIN for cup holders or something- or just store stuff.

Search from other low quality brands with Android Play with Double Din that was 24v- But none that had Apple Play. There are some crazy low powered cheap single din 24v units on Amazon for $25-$45.

Bottom line is that there are more options now. I had the 12-24v conversion on my first HJ61, and it was an nightmare with power drains or having to disconnect battery and loosing radio memory. Just go with the 24v radio and keep everything 24v and you will be happy.

Capture.JPG

24 VOLT Radio Options

The latest AXIS 12/24 volt units found on eBay from AU have Bluetooth, USB 2.1 amp charger, etc and a rear backup camera for a single DIN 3" screen. AX1805BT+RVC About $200US delivered in a couple of weeks. Have to get the one with the +RVC if you want the 24v backup camera. Wanted low key back up and if I can't get a 24v Double Din with Apple Car Play, then this is the next best thing. Might get to use the other DIN for cup holders or something- or just store stuff.

Search from other low quality brands with Android Play with Double Din that was 24v- But none that had Apple Play. There are some crazy low powered cheap single din 24v units on Amazon for $25-$45.

Bottom line is that there are more options now. I had the 12-24v conversion on my first HJ61, and it was an nightmare with power drains or having to disconnect battery and loosing radio memory. Just go with the 24v radio and keep everything 24v and you will be happy.

View attachment 3598406
ordered this one today, can't wait until I have bluetooth control over the stereo. Thanks for finding this. :)

I'm going for this one in combination with a voltage regulater from 24v - 12v.

This one has a permanent memory that doesn't require power 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom