Ghost in the rear fan, display, killing battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
My '04 LC100 is acting funny, again. This week, the rear fan had been coming on spontaneously, but I hadn't really been paying much attention to it.

Yesterday, after driving the truck about 200 miles the day before, and after it starting fine in the morning, it wouldn't start after a couple hours of kayaking. The battery gauge said the battery had zero juice, but the remote locks were working and the dash lights were coming on.

A friendly paddler gave me a jump (the engine started right away .... no need to sit and charge for a while). I let the engine idle while I loaded by boat and things. While loading, I heard a high-rate clicking coming from under the rear of the truck, like an electrical relay that was going wild. I couldn't identify the location of the sound.

I needed gas to make the 200 mile trip home, so at Costco, I disconnected the battery while pumping. The rig started up just fine afterward. (The attendant said I should have just kept the car running. Is that allowed?!) On the rest of the drive home I noticed two odd electrical behaviors. First, the rear fan kept turning on and off at irregular intervals (I didn't time them). Second, about 25 seconds after I changed the display to 'climate', the display would change to 'trip info'. This was very consistent behavior. And I think it happened when I changed the display to 'audio', too; 25 seconds later it switched to 'trip info', again.

Meanwhile, I've been home for 16 hours. The truck started fine 15 minutes after returning home, then again 3 hours later, and then again this morning (15 hours later).

Can anyone speculate what might be happening? If this were my laptop or desktop computer, I'd try a reboot. Is there anything like that for a rig's climate control (e.g., through Techstream)?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom folks can share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom