General Desmog/Cityracer carb questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the process of doing a desmog and cityracer carb and had a couple questions that I'm sure are out there, but it's difficult to find a straight answer with the multitude of different desmogs out there.

For the CR carb, with just the port for the vacuum advance, does that mean; the remaining BVSV essentially gets deleted, and the driver VCV gets rerouted to the gas filter? And the fuel cut vacuum switch just goes way of the dodo as well?

Also, thoughts on how my routing is looking? I'm no rocket scientist, but I think I've got most of it going in the right directions. Not running a/c so no idle up, no elevation so no HAC, and I liked this intake so I'm considering ditching the HAI to run it, but I've read mixed remarks on if that's a good idea. (Don't mind the sketchy plugs, caps are on the way)

Thanks!

300F8840-FF26-4D22-A53C-2808393C2261.jpeg
41E23889-5F59-46EF-BFD4-043C8D08955B.jpeg

When is the last time the poor baby has had a valve adjustment? There is supposed to be a rubber seal between that air filter horn and the top of the carburetor.

I think you want to keep the #1 bvsv...the top one. And run your advancer port line from the carb to it. then over to the dizzy advance. But you could "T" in the line from the EVAP VCV ...line X ...run it over to the other side of the motor and T it in after the BVSV. That way you don't advance and your EVAP system doesn't come on until you're up to temp.

Which port you attach to on the vacuum advance depends on if your dizzy had been modified or not.

Not sure about the fuel cut vacuum switch....someone else should chime in.

When is the last time the poor baby has had a valve adjustment? There is supposed to be a rubber seal between that air filter horn and the top of the carburetor.
Considering I just bought it and haven't driven it beyond the driveway, I'd say anywhere between 0 and 185k miles since it's last adjustment haha

The intake gasket I do have though, I only mounted it to see what it'd look like.

I think you want to keep the #1 bvsv...the top one. And run your advancer port line from the carb to it. then over to the dizzy advance. But you could "T" in the line from the EVAP VCV ...line X ...run it over to the other side of the motor and T it in after the BVSV. That way you don't advance and your EVAP system doesn't come on until you're up to temp.

Which port you attach to on the vacuum advance depends on if your dizzy had been modified or not.

Not sure about the fuel cut vacuum switch....someone else should chime in.
So this is where my lack of knowledge really shines through. So you're saying the routing would go:

Carb to BVSV, BVSV to dizzy, and the EVAP gets plumbed in between the BVSV and dizzy?

I'm still running a stock distributor, and iirc I have the gas filter line attached to the inner port, and carb attached to the outer, I'd that right? I was under the impression they were interchangeable.

Thanks for the info!

Carb to BVSV, BVSV to dizzy, and the EVAP gets plumbed in between the BVSV and dizzy?
That^^^ is right. Here is a schematic and you can see the piping goes just like that....but the other small line coming of the EVAP VCV( in blue) is going to the air cleaner so you may want a port to get it back to air cleaner.

vaccuum routing 2f.png

You probably want to keep it if it is functional but my truck did not have the fuel cut vacuum switch. The PO performed a round about "green wire mod". I removed all that stuff, capped the port on the carb and did a proper green wire mod, grounding the on the carb.
Not a city racer carb, but it works great.
2022-05-11 20.52.10.jpg
2022-05-11 20.52.21.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom