Gauges - whacky hijinks ensued... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Saturday morning I took the Pig on a drive and had not got very far when I realized the fuel gauge was showing 1/2.

Immediately I began to ask myself, is this Pig 1/2 full of gas, or 1/2 empty? :)

Seriously, this reading concerned me because the last time I had driven Little Miss Javelina I had put her away w/ a full tank. So I was trying to figure out how in the sam hell a 1/2 tank of fuel could have just disappeared. I worried that maybe my electric pump was pushing it out all over the place at the fuel filters as I had changed both of them out recently. I did not smell any raw fuel, but I did not want to end up driving a fireball if spraying raw fuel were to ignite under the hood, so I pulled over. I took a look under everywhere, especially where the filters were. Nothing looked amiss.

So then I thought about why else the gauge could be reading 1/2? Could there be a malfunction? I guess there could, but then why wouldn't the fuel gauge read empty? I decided to continue on with my proposed drive, but I was uncomfortable with the fuel gauge, especially when I saw the temp reading had not crept up. As I drove, the temp crept barely off the min reading, the fuel stayed at 1/2, and the oil pressure reading stayed where it usually reads.

I was going around a gradual bend in the interstate and passed a semi when I checked the gauges again and SUMBITCH! but the fuel was reading just under Full and the temp gauge was up at normal.

What is up with that?

Has anyone had that? Why the fuel at 1/2 and not at E?

Thanks for any insight y'all may have...

I'll have check the wiring diagram to see if the temp and gas are the only items common , but it sounds like the "voltage regulator" may not be up to snuff.

IIRC In the pigs the regulator was just a relay that cycles on and off as long as the car is on.
The gauges react slow enough that the needle never moves with the fluctuating voltage. sort of a voltage/time limiter.
As they age, the mechanical relay parts begin to get a little tired of constantly moving, I'll post again after I've had a look....

I don't have my hand drawn gauge diagram with me, and the one that I can find online doesn't show how it is hooked up. I thought it only ran two of the Gas/Oil/Temp gauges, but I cannot recall for certain, and definitely not what two of the three.
It is a weird looking unit that mounts on the back of the combination meter, If you have a spare, just swap it out and see if it changes.

Last edited:
"Yea" for the search function....
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/intermittent-gauge-problem-76-fj40.511136/

Gas and fuel are powered from the regulator.

Thank you sir! I guess it makes sense that a mechanical regulator goes bad (just like our old external voltage regulators on the alternators) over time.
This is the first time it has happened, so I guess the beginning of the end?
I'll have to search out a replacement regulator.

Thanks again.

PS: An odd thing happened when I tried to follow your link on my phone, it took me a totally unrelated thread! I am not liking the Tapatalk app these days...

Glad to assist. had to fix my previous post: "Gas and fuel" boo....
:D
I'm avoiding the app...Still using the browser on my phone.

Pablo,

Post a picture and I'll see if I have one in my stash. I'm not using any of that.

i WILL LOOK IN THE STASH TONITE AS WELL...GOOD LOOKI- oops, sorry for shouting...good looking out LCnut. points to you!

Glad to assist. had to fix my previous post: "Gas and fuel" boo....
:D
I'm avoiding the app...Still using the browser on my phone.

Thanks, I saw the "gas & fuel" and guessed at what you meant.

The app is getting more ad-hungry. Boo...

On a non-tech related note, my Saturday AM drive was a real treat. I usually go swimming with a masters group Saturday morning at 5:30 AM. Last Saturday I got up and realized the only free time I had that day that was not consumed with flag football, or prepping for Anniversary dinner was that stretch when I would go swimming.

I decided that instead I wanted to take the Pig out and feel some miles go under the BFGs... I hit I-25 towards Cheyenne (after looking for fuel leaks or other reasons why my gauges were not reading the way I thought they should). As I got out of Fort Collins, and N of Wellington the traffic volume diminished and the landscape opened up. Rock formations slid by. I saw the buffalo ranch near the WY border. There was a big cross lit up on a bluff. Someone put out an American flag made of LEDs.

I hit a truck stop on the edge of Cheyenne (fuel is cheaper I WY than CO) and thought I would grab some McD for breakfast. I headed into the men's room and waited while a Dad was trying to manage his two little boys. The stall was occupied as well. An older gent came out of the stall and helped manage the little ones. I was waiting to navigate around the herd and the older guy told me he was taking his grandsons fishing! This guy was so happy I thought he would bust.

In the line to order I asked the 3 generations about their fishing expedition. They were from Nebraska. You could tell it was an adventure. Everyone had to get up pretty early to pull this off. It made me anxious to see my Dad when he comes out next month.

I ate outside in the morning chill and saw the sky lightening. I watched the semis easing into the truck stop and grunting into a lower gear.

Topped off the tank in Miss Javelina and then headed back S to start the day. The sun was creeping over the horizon and I marveled at how beautiful the morning was. In my mind the City of New Orleans started playing and it was the perfect soundtrack to my morning.

I got home, and the day started with the rest of my family. It was a wonderful day with my lovely bride and my child, but I had a sense of contentment from the solitude of that morning drive.

I hope you all have a great one!

Awesome! I truly miss living out west...I spent my teen years in Tucson.

I haven't had a 55 to drive since I dismantled the 71, I'm contemplating resurrecting one of the 69's just so I have something to drive when spring hits. Reading things like this make me wish I already had.

Awesome! I truly miss living out west...I spent my teen years in Tucson.

I haven't had a 55 to drive since I dismantled the 71, I'm contemplating resurrecting one of the 69's just so I have something to drive when spring hits. Reading things like this make me wish I already had.

Heck yeah man! Get you a Piggy started!
Some people have no idea what it is, but the other day I had a truck driver giving me thumbs up and then a guy in a Fairlady Z was digging the Pig...

Can't find my spare combo meter, just the speedo...so no dice on a regulator from my end...

Pablo,

Is this what you need?

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

That is it... I think they are different between 69 or 71 and the later 78 units.
However, I have no Idea hat the 74 is like.

let us know if it's available...there were a few other hits with a google search. came in as fuel sender relay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom