Gash board (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BHMCruiser said:
Bummer, Dan. From a tech perspective, do you think there's anything you could have treated your dash with to prevent this from happening?

Cheers,
Jay

No, I don't really think so.

tucker74 said:
You see Dan - you're just looking at this all wrong. Don't look at it as a $378 ripped dash pad - look at it as good excuse to buy that JDM Altimetor you've always wanted :D

Tucker

I've had one of those for about 6 years or so......... ;)

dan is the "dash pad" a cover for the dash or an entire dashboard? $378 seems pretty reasonable for a new dashboard. Maybe I'll convert my left over RHD japanese gassers to LHD :D :D

So right now your dash crack is showing?

flintknapper said:
So right now your dash crack is showing?

Yes indeed........ :eek: and I don't even need to bend over........... :ban:

Dan,

The sun where I live in not as intense as your location, but I typically keep my cars, trucks at least 10+ years. I always put some kind of treatment, silicone etc to the dash twice a year, and have never had one crack. Plastics, leathers, etc dry out, if you don't do something about that before it gets too bad, a crack will appear. Come on Brittany Man you know better than that. :)

Grouseman

BHMCruiser said:
Bummer, Dan. From a tech perspective, do you think there's anything you could have treated your dash with to prevent this from happening?

Cheers,
Jay

My condolences, Dan.

Jay,

Sun shades work, period. If I'm not driving it, the shade's up, day or night, rain or shine. Developed the habit back when I lived in the Mojave desert, but it still serves me well up here in Oregon. It's actually raining right now, but the shade's up on my pickup, and I guarantee the shade's up on the LC outside my wife's office.

Curtis
'82 Hilux, '91 LC, both w/mint condition dashboards ;)

Cover the dash

Too bad. I suppose you could throw one of those carpet thingies on it

Thats what I did; hopefully it will prevent same prob. Worked ok on my FJ40.

PM for any leather is to hydrate it with leather conditioner. This puts the natural oils back into leather. Over time these oils evaporate leaving the leather susceptible to cracking. High heat low humidity regions accelerate this. Autoglym "leather care" is what I use but Meguiars and others make good products, too Im sure.

Cheers...

Today was the last straw......:flipoff2:

Had the day off because of a birthday party for my son and a trip to the dentist to get fitted for a crown.....:rolleyes:

I strolled out to the 80 this morning fer I needed to go score some ice cream for the party and I had TWO MORE DAMN CRACKS......:mad:

That plus the "D" light being out I said "fawk it, I'm goin' in"....

Sorry, no pics cuz my wife had the digi at school.

It took me just shy of 2 hours to strip the instrument panel down and get the pad off. I did not need to remove the entire panel as I had feared. I was able to get the pad out by removing the knee panel, the lower instrument panel, the upper instrument panel, the instrument cluster, the LH air vent ducts and the glove box.
At that point I had to quit in order to make the party and then the dentist. After the dentist finished me off..;p I headed back, numb face in hand, and proceeded to re-assemble. I installed the new pad and replaced all the bulbs in the cluster and heater control and then I put everything back where I found it. Re-assembly time was about 3 hours, including some cleaning time. Not as long as I thought it would take.

D-

5 hours? time to invest in some vinyl conditioner

I used that to soak yer head gasket in before I shipped it.......:eek:

A cracked dash and the dentist in one day. You're just lucky it wasn't April 15th with somone knocking at your door. And the upside is you got ice cream out of the deal.... Sorry Dan.

Isn't there a thread somewhere about carpet dash covers for rovers like we have?

;)

PS: Hope ya'll had a cool birthday!

3M 303 is great stuff. It's widely recommended in the boating industry, and is known to extend the life of all kinds of plastics and rubbers that are exposed to heat and sun.

Dan,

Didn't anybody ever tell you that when you rest your heels up on the dash, you should remove your spurs??

DougM

I would have kept it. The new one will crack again sooner or later, what's the point..? Plus it looks rugged... :D

Did you give yourself a discount? you know you're your best customer already...! well, at least the smartest one since you're buying from yourself.. oh wait, maybe it's the other way around.... :)

flintknapper said:
So right now your butt crack is showing?

I fixed it for ya.
Couldn't resist! :flipoff2:

Oh yeah, sorry Dan to hear your pad problem.
I thought women were the only ones with pad problems. ;p

Mot ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom