Gas Tank Lining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know man.... If you have crap in your tank, you will see crap in your filters....how and why are the questions....Do you KNOW for a fact that the fuel you put in your tank is PERFECT? You and I both would like to think that the fuel we purchase is clean and without impurities, but that is simply not the case....at least what I have found....from many different stations not just in MN, WI or SD....

I have three fuel filters in my truck, and change them all at least once a year...and they all come out with varying levels of crap in them, and I have a new tank, with no rust in or out....

You do not know with any level of certinaty that the PO did not have the tank out of the truck, and have it propped up next to a workbench, and was running a grinder or saw by it? ( I have walked into shops and seen this going on )....or that one of his kids or someone else did not put a handful of something in it when it was in the truck or out of it..

man... no way to know the truth of anything the PO said. I have come to find about 50% of what he told me was BS (not sure if lying.. maybe more just wanting to sound informative/knowledgeable and making s*** up on the fly as I asked questions).

Hell, those tanks could have been anywhere for all I know (maybe even as fish tanks at one point).

BTW, if it matters.... I ONLY buy my gas at Costco. I would like to think they have reputable fuel... but as you said... who knows?? I coul dnever know this for sure.

anyway, I am going to try the magnet trick (to see if it is metal flakes) and let the fuel drop in the tanks and see if I can look in there.

FWIW, what you see in that photo is only after about 3 months at most. to me, that seems like a lot of settling junk. I can see the filters going from gold to brown, but not that much sitting funk.

UPDATE the funk in the filters DOES react to the magnet....

Last edited:
Who knows, the PO could have doen this with it before he sold you the rig.
slr.jpg

Its definitely rust in the filters. I just pulled a gas tank from one of my burbs that I had sitting for years awaiting resto. I poured the remaining gas out of the tank into a 5-gal bucket and had enough rust in the bottom of the bucket to fill a coffee mug after I had emptied the bucket's gas into a poly gas container. I pulled the sender/pickup assy and found it coated with thick rust. The tank walls were also coated with rust. Actually, it looked like gelled gas had collected rust particles everywhere like building a coral rust reef. Needless to say, the burb's Q-jet is toast. Or is that jelly?

I took the tank to a rad shop that does the acid dip mentioned, and the owner said the tank was beyond salvaging for long term use. He could clean it out, but the rust would return. Gas tank sealant would slow the return of rust, but not stop it. The cost would go over $100 if he acid dipped & I coated the tank. More if he did both. So, I have to go with a better condition used tank to clean up or new. Your tank may vary. :D

Last edited:
I have seen gas tanks with rust and pin holes in them, and after the POR15 treatment they have lasted since then. I would do both sides... inside and out.
Besides, no gas tank is worthless--->http://www.gas-tank.com/
check out the tank on the bottom of this page! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom