Gas line into carburetor leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed a new carburetor, but the gas line into it is leaking, no matter how tight I get it... am I missing a gasket... see pictures
0F23495A-640F-4294-89F4-FA423D35E36D.jpeg
00978796-70C0-4755-8C05-31E332C35F9E.jpeg
7AD2FC1C-3EB4-4376-A04F-DDD0BF0419BA.jpeg
4A584843-C34A-43A7-B980-9ED8F0B8035C.jpeg

the gas line doesn't look OEM. looks like copper??

a ferrule is the bump in the fuel line that is supposed to seal against the adaptor when the nut is tightened.
the line should be steel, I'd find the correct part.

Did it leak before you replaced the carburetor? I would first get a new ferrule/olive that fits your existing line diameter, cut off the old ferrule, add the large nut and then the new ferrule, tighten and check. You can buy new steel or nickel/copper line and bend it to shape or pay someone to do it for you, if it needs replacing.

A ferrule is a barrel shaped sleeve that slips over the tube for compression fittings. Sometimes called an olive. When the compression nut is tightened, the ferrule compresses and seals onto the tube as well as sealing into the fitting that the nut is screwed onto. Once used, the ferrule is squeezed onto the tube and cannot be removed but the joint can be used over and over many times. However, all the components in that joint pictured just look plumb wore out. New tube, nut and ferrule should take care of it.

Stock tube and fitting size is 8mm but 5/16 is so close it works well. The nuts are the big deal as they must match the carb fitting. Stock nuts with 5/16 tube and a 5/16 ferrules have always worked fine for me with no leaks on the carb and fuel pumps.

You can get tubing in aluminized steel, stainless and cupronickel (copper/nickel). Cupronickel is easier to bend than the others. A lot of suppliers market 8mm and 5/16 tube as the same.
Here's a ferrule.
Ferrule.jpg

You can get new ferrules in the plumbing section of your local hardware store

A ferrule is a barrel shaped sleeve that slips over the tube for compression fittings. Sometimes called an olive. When the compression nut is tightened, the ferrule compresses and seals onto the tube as well as sealing into the fitting that the nut is screwed onto. Once used, the ferrule is squeezed onto the tube and cannot be removed but the joint can be used over and over many times. However, all the components in that joint pictured just look plumb wore out. New tube, nut and ferrule should take care of it.

Stock tube and fitting size is 8mm but 5/16 is so close it works well. The nuts are the big deal as they must match the carb fitting. Stock nuts with 5/16 tube and a 5/16 ferrules have always worked fine for me with no leaks on the carb and fuel pumps.

You can get tubing in aluminized steel, stainless and cupronickel (copper/nickel). Cupronickel is easier to bend than the others. A lot of suppliers market 8mm and 5/16 tube as the same.
Here's a ferrule.
View attachment 2364672
Can’t thank you enough , question : would say a ACE Hardware have the aluminized steelbtubing as well ?

here is a picture of the tubing removed from the engine... it has the same connector at the bottom for the fuel pump

F23B161A-83CD-4E34-8785-1AE3CE930C07.jpeg

@1978FJ40project

Nut:
Nut Union - Toyota (90402-13041) about $6.21 list at your local dealer

Ferrule (olive in Toyota lingo) -
Olive - Toyota (96395-71400)
about $4.22 list at your local dealer, or identical to the picture from @Steamer , above.

The tubing is available at auto parts stores. I'd find out if the store offers free rental of a tubing bender and tubing cutter so you can fabricate yourself. You don't want to kink the tubing while bending it, so the tubing benders are the best way to avoid kinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom