FZJ80 (or other) buying advice please? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,

i am looking to buy a used land cruiser and would have purchased one previously but my toyota mechanic and - well really all mechanics i talk to end up convincing me not to buy one due to reliability issues. what i am hoping for is some direction on a specific make and model that will be extremely low maintenance. i don't expect to make many modifications to the vehicle but i do expect to get out to some off road (big bend) and out of the way locations (alaska).

would like's: air bags, V6, 4WD, towing (1 or 2 motorcycles) and really, really reliable no hassle vehicle. going back to a stick could be nice as well.

i realize this is a forum for mostly modding vehicles but i am hoping there is enough expertise to steer me in the right direction.

also, i don't mind stepping up price-wise but i'd rather do it for reliability than farkles.

THANKS for any help,

jonathan

background:

1. i bought a 93 r100 gs bmw recently and have been wrenching on it as a new wrench so i have some relatively new found confidence in working on a vehicle.

2. i have had a 98 toyota tacoma 4cyl 4WD since 2000 which has been nothing but exceptional. it's got 196K on it, has angle iron welded to the bed and a bomber ladder rack bolted to the angle iron. so as far as working on a construction job or hauling material it is a beast but it is getting old for road tripping in and the 2-seater is inconvenient at this point.

3. i recently bought a 2003 V6 2WD 4 runner with 150K on it because i couldn't pass up the deal but it does not have 4WD and i basically don't want all the electronics. i'd like to move back to something simpler. i find the 2003 to be a pain ergonomically with the controls and something as simple as a bulb going out in the dash requires full removal of the dash. also, i want to drive a car and not have it try to drive me.

You may need a new Toyota "expert."

The land cruiser is widely regarded as one of the most dependable vehicles ever produced. This stands for three generations: the 40 series, 60 series, and 80 series. The 70 series tops the list in countries that got them.

Buy a well maintained 80 series. Follow the advice from Slee on looking it over. Spend $$$ baselining all the fluids, hoses, belts, etc. Get a compression test done, and do a leak down test. Rebuild the head if necessary. Service your axles and then don't worry about it again until something breaks.

While many mods happen in these threads this is also forum for enthusiasts. You will find many tips, tricks, and how-to's focused on the 80 series land cruiser in this section of the forum.

Edit: no land cruiser in the US was ever sold with a V6.

mechanist.

studying the links over here. THANKS for the response. also apologies on the V6 comment. not completely mechanically knowledgeable and this is terminology from the 4 runner/tacoma i think. so, some quick ones please?

any disadvantages to buying a locked lx?

what is the FJ80 as compared to the fzj80? i saw a 91 fj80 and i am confused as i thought the LC 80 series stopped at the 97 model.

stick is only for non-US vehicles is that right?

also, not to play devil's advocate but my taco was purchased in 2000 with 60K on it. i think i made over 10K in claims on body damage or small accidents with people backing into me (actually had a tree fall on it recently two seconds after pulling into the convenience mart recently) and i pretty much change the oil and put new tires on it once in awhile (knock wood). MPG is pretty decent so as far as investments go this one was a killer move. also, they are beasts on the dirt as far as i know. that said, i can't live in one like i would with an lc/lx.

anyway, it does seem to me that the LC/LX require major maintenance to get them up to speed - at a similar age to the taco - and they take a big time hit on the mileage. both items are obviously taking a chunk out of your wallet. also, it seems to me that there is a higher yearly maintenance on the LC/LX than the taco.

just thinking out loud but is there an advantage to my buying a 60 series as compared to a 80 series?

also, my motorcycle is about a mechanical a machine as you are going to find. the taco is mechanical but also got some electronics. the 2003 is ridiculously programmed and i want to sell it. do you think the 80 series may have too many electronics and the 60 series may be a better fit for me? or is the 80 worth while for reliability or maintenance reasons?

THANK YOU

MPG is pretty decent so as far as investments go this one was a killer move. also, they are beasts on the dirt as far as i know. that said, i can't live in one like i would with an lc/lx.

You could live in the Taco after cleaning out the bed and slapping on a shell. That would obviously be your best move from a financial stand point.

FJ80- '91 and '92 only, with the older 3FE engine used in FJ62.

Disadvantage of locked lx- typically costs more for something you may never use.

Advantage of 60 series-none other than possibly a stick shift if you must have it and they look a helluva lot better than an 80. :D

Hotwheels2017, I think the best thing you could do for yourself is to get some seat time in an 80. Call some of the owners who have them for sale where you live, and go drive some. After you've driven a few, i think that may answer more then a few of your questions.

You could live in the Taco after cleaning out the bed and slapping on a shell. That would obviously be your best move from a financial stand point.

Disadvantage of locked lx- typically costs more for something you may never use.

Advantage of 60 series-none other than possibly a stick shift if you must have it and they look a helluva lot better than an 80. :D

hey man. thanks. doing a lot of reading here.

the motorcycle was my first real wrenching experience (very handy/competent in other areas) so i have to wrap my head around spending that kind of time crawling around on the pavement again.

payoff i am sure is worth it. cash outlay i have to think about.

i /have/ lived in the taco with rack and shell. basically did it camping or road tripping for 15 years. 2 seater doesn't cut it. climbing in the cap gets old.

need to haul construction supplies though and the choices have been really hard to find.

definitely selling the 03 4 runner. too new school for me. keeping the taco? hard to sell it with notes on the windshield every 8 - 10 months. shoot, my mechanic keeps asking to buy it.

got an lax and lc owners manual coming and then going to drill down into engine #s and VIN information and diff codes. then write up an inspection checklist.

then try to find fine one in ATX i can spiff to go out on a pre-purchase inspection...

THANKS

quickly, is there a post exit functionality?

also, sounds like i definitely need to focus on the 80 and not the 69 (rust etc) ? any chance there is a lot of electronic s*** (auto on and off headlights, complicated dash etc etc) in the 89?

so what is reputation of fj80 (newer vehicle) with 3FE engine vs 96/97 LC...?

quickly, is there a post exit functionality?

also, sounds like i definitely need to focus on the 80 and not the 69 (rust etc) ? any chance there is a lot of electronic s*** (auto on and off headlights, complicated dash etc etc) in the 89?

I don't understand your first sentence. No, 60 series do not have the electronic stuff you mentioned. '89 FJ62 is pretty much the same as the '88 and '90, if that's what you mean in 2nd.

3FE is basically a super slow and VERY reliable tractor motor. It is really bulletproof.

The 1FZ-FE in the '93-'97 is also a great motor. It has more power. They do tend to blow the factory headgasket eventually.....and by eventually I mean mine has 267k miles on it with original gasket, but I expect it to go one day. Both are pigs on gas. Sadly we never got a diesel option in North America.

The FZJ80 also has full floating rear axle.

It's not as valuable. Much less HP, some parts are harder to find for the older engine. No airbags. No real advantage in simplicity either. Maybe the only pro is they're not prone to blowing head gaskets so much as the FZ engine.

I don't understand your first sentence. No, 60 series do not have the electronic stuff you mentioned. '89 FJ62 is pretty much the same as the '88 and '90, if that's what you mean in 2nd.

THANKS. ach. sorry. post /edit/ functionality...

<edit: ok, found it. edit is under the three little horizontal marks at the bottom of a post....>

Last edited:
3FE is basically a super slow and VERY reliable tractor motor. It is really bulletproof.

The 1FZ-FE in the '93-'97 is also a great motor. It has more power. They do tend to blow the factory headgasket eventually.....and by eventually I mean mine has 267k miles on it with original gasket, but I expect it to go one day. Both are pigs on gas. Sadly we never got a diesel option in North America.

The FZJ80 also has full floating rear axle.
Just as an FYI, not all FZJ80 came with full floating rear axles, only the trucks with ABS brakes do, non ABS trucks came with semi floating rear axles.

Yes true. Non ABS SF had rear drums correct?
That's correct, but i have to say i haven't seen any in my travels, but since there's a section on drum brakes in my service manual, i know Toyota made a few.

What does your Tacoma \ 4R not do that you are looking the LC to do? I have a 3rd gen 4R and I imagine that for most people the 4R would be a better vehicle, there are also way more of them out there to pick from, they are more reliable, get better gas mileage, ride better, seem to have less eccentricities, but.... still it's not an LC.

If you're on the fence, as someone else here mentioned, try and get some seat time in a nicely sorted one and see what you think.

In terms of inspection checklist, the one on the Slee website is great.

These trucks are reliable but repairs and parts are expensive and a lot of these trucks suffer from deferred maintenance, so make sure you are taking that into account when you decide what a particular truck is worth. The prices are all over the place, there are people getting smoking deals and people who pay all the money for marginal trucks. Be patient and be the former.

Good luck. It's a great community here.

This is a good question, what doesn't the Tacoma/T4R do for you that an LC could? I've had a Tacoma, 2nd & 3rd gen 4Runners, (2) 80 series LC, and a GX470. What are your intended uses for this rig?

......still it's not an LC.

That about sums it up.

I can drive all day.....heck I can drive a few days in a row and not see another 80. That and driving the thing is just downright awesome. Exclusivity and the unique platform is something I like.

If I wanted something that had a bazillion cheap parts available for it, I would drive a Jeep.

hi gents,

short version: truck to get to remote areas with 4wd and not get stuck, camp out /in/, haul construction supplies, and take friends and clients out in. also the 93 bmw MC really has me thinking about moving back to older technology and actually working in it. /ideally/ it would be as reliable as the taco so i don't have to work on it though.

the pic in the next post gives an idea of my hauling. i think i once had 8 - 12 20' 4" x 4" 3/16" tube steel members on that rack. lol. really stupid. swayed like a bastard but we made it.

-

longer version:

a ton of thanks for all the help.
in a nutshell the 1st gen 98 tacoma is just beat to s*** cosmetically. it's a 2 door 2 seater (no xtra cab) and not enough room. clear coat is peeling. bomb proof reliable but i can't take clients in it or pick up friends. /great/ for the construction site or hauling materials. but not great on power with the 4 cylinder. going to try and tow my motorcycle trailer with my bike on it though to see if it does better than the 4runner handling wise.

third gen 03 2wd 4 runner was a stopgap measure. want a 4wd. got a great deal but always planned to sell it for a 4wd. however i realized i hate the electronics and complexity of this machine. there is a dash light out so i have to have someone take out the whole dash to replace a bulb. i had to put in a new flasher on the left hand side, so i had to take out the battery and when i got it in the housing it slipped out of the socket and skidded down and over to the bottom of the housing. it was a 40 minute mcgyver project ending with damn carpet tape to try to get it back through the hole. i almost left it there and put another in in.

also, i know this might sound stupid to some but i'd like to just turn off the headlights. if they are on i turn them off. right now i can't figure out when i have to turn the damn things off. plus the limited slip differential i basically find i don't want. sounds dumb. i guess i want to simplify.

ergonomically i think it sucks. much prefer the simplicity of the taco! plus i towed my motorcycle on a trailer out to west texas and back and it was rain on the way out and windy in the way back. white knuckle both ways. rain was a bitch but the wind had me all over the road at speed. may be that there is a little play in the steering but it was a bitch in the wind.

so after working on the bmw (top end, new alternator, a little electrical etc) i thought i'd take a look at the LC's again. i /like/ the simplicity of my motorcycle, love the no maintenance and mileage of the taco but really would love something larger that i can take people in, tow things with, go to a construction site with materials and also camp in.

80 series seemed close. there was a 100 series for sale on my bike ride today.

just having a hard time checking all the boxes. second gen 4 runner is close. might be the ticket if i could get a heavy duty ladder rack on it.

THANKS for any help

jon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom