Future trip. Looking for local input. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B is in fact pinedale. That’s where my friend lives.
this is getting more and more fun, give it time and we'll have your trip planned for you. if you try to avoid paved roads there is a good cut across from dubois wy to pinedale. i can't remember the name of the road but it is a good well used fs road. i went to the top of it when i was in that country during the eclipse a few years ago. went on to pinedale to see if an old classmate of mine was still there. sold the ranch and now all houses
thanks aaron for finding the pic. i'm having issues posting pics from my phone. that was before i ripped the suspension out from under it over by pburg lol.

this is getting more and more fun, give it time and we'll have your trip planned for you. if you try to avoid paved roads there is a good cut across from dubois wy to pinedale. i can't remember the name of the road but it is a good well used fs road. i went to the top of it when i was in that country during the eclipse a few years ago. went on to pinedale to see if an old classmate of mine was still there. sold the ranch and now all houses
thanks aaron for finding the pic. i'm having issues posting pics from my phone. that was before i ripped the suspension out from under it over by pburg lol.

I’m all for non pavement as long as I can make it to kalispel by 9 pm Sunday 😂

Those telling you the F-G leg are boring don't know what they're missing

I know the state pretty well with the exception of a few areas around Bozeman . DM me if you want routes or any info.

I avoid glacier like the plague. Great place to pace through but then keep it moving . Just depends on what your looking for .
Crossing south Wyoming is epic you can trace the original Oregon trail and pony express route

20230522_113957.jpg

DJI_0934.JPG

20230523_161625.jpg

I know the state pretty well with the exception of a few areas around Bozeman . DM me if you want routes or any info.

I avoid glacier like the plague. Great place to pace through but then keep it moving . Just depends on what your looking for .
Crossing south Wyoming is epic you can trace the original Oregon trail and pony express route

View attachment 3363560

View attachment 3363558

View attachment 3363561
yep, eastern mt is some of my favorite area, the virgelle ferry is always a great detour. watching the weather is a must though if off the pavement. a good friend takes teams out to the digs out of hell creek, that is a wonderful area. We're thinking about leaving what was once one of the best places in the nation and relocating to the huntley area or wyoming. what a shame, but being able to see the stars again and being able to shoot off my back porch again is why we moved here.

In Wyoming, you can do a section of the Wyoming Backcountry Discovery Route (WyBDR). It leaves the Interstate between Laramie and Rawlins, crossing the Red Desert and ending up in South Pass City, Wyoming. Oregon trail and Mormon Trail markers all over in that area. South Pass City historic site is awesome. They bought and refurbished the Carissa mine a few years back and opened it for tours. There's is a dirt road from South Pass City to Pinedale (Lander Cutoff Road) that follows the Wind River Mtn Range on the South of the range. You'd need to gas up in Lander after getting to South Pass City, then head back out on the road to Pinedale. As kids, we used to stop in Farson ,Wyoming for ice cream. I'm not sure there's anything left there anymore. Don't drive that BDR section if it is wet (unlikely in September but possible). The road gets impossible to drive on when wet.

View attachment 3363560

View attachment 3363558

View attachment 3363561
Beautiful.

I’ll be in touch im sure. I love the thought of two track dirt and just slowing down for a while.

Beautiful.

I’ll be in touch im sure. I love the thought of two track dirt and just slowing down for a while.
Yeah for sure. On the flip side if you have a schedule to keep sometimes it's tough picking and choosing between all of the potential out here. It's nice to be able to cover some ground and get the epic scenery. That wind river range area is awesome . Anything around the continental divide is a sure shot for good views

Do you use Gaia for mapping or anything like that ? If so I can share some tracks. Maybe take a gamin for those just in case moments . Download offline maps. Check all the safety stuff off the list first.

Yeah for sure. On the flip side if you have a schedule to keep sometimes it's tough picking and choosing between all of the potential out here. It's nice to be able to cover some ground and get the epic scenery. That wind river range area is awesome . Anything around the continental divide is a sure shot for good views

Do you use Gaia for mapping or anything like that ? If so I can share some tracks. Maybe take a gamin for those just in case moments . Download offline maps. Check all the safety stuff off the list first.

I’ve got Gaia I use locally, and source tracks while on the road with it sometimes.

I carry a garmin Inreach for off grid communication, still use some paper maps as well.

Lots of ood ideas. You could also head all the ways south through yellowstone, through teatons into Jackson. Nice to see the Tetons befor heading east.

Lots of ood ideas. You could also head all the ways south through yellowstone, through teatons into Jackson. Nice to see the Tetons befor heading east.

We did that last year kinda. I wouldn’t mind back tracking some again, but always like seeing new country

Depending on the time of year this could be a s*** show with all the tourist. There is a sneaky back way into the tetons from the Idaho side that doesn't require admission fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom