Full Soft Doors for Factory Soft Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Question, I have a factory soft top on my 79 FJ40. I want to run a full soft door set that fits with the OEM soft top setup. I have a set of Best Top half doors that work fine but the Best Top full doors I have don't fit right at the top due to how the factory bow section curves inward to fit the factory hard doors. Do any of you know of a full soft door set that will work with a factory soft top and not the Best Top setup?
Thanks

Was your 79 a FST from another market or converted to a soft top. If converted does your B pillar bow angle in above the tub or straight. The factory soft top doors fit the straight bows.

Not sure exactly what you're asking so here's a picture of what I have. I did purchase this Soft top aftermarket but I'm not certain what it originally had as it had a bikini top on it when I bought it

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

I did install canvas doors, there wasn't just a gap the problem was they do not sit flush because of how that B pillar is formed. I will take a photo of how they fit. Seemed to me that shape was the problem because there was an overlap

FST doors come up for sale once in a while. Post a want ad.

Here's the fitment issue, the doors fit fine everywhere but in the top right corner where the factory bow hardware bows in to fit the factory door shape around the window frame.

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

Those aren't FST doors. Those are bestop doors. Get FST doors and problem solved.

FST doors aka canvas doors will fit your setup

Even if you had later bows they are easily adjusted/bent to remove the gap :)

I didn't think it was the simple because of the window frame. It would need to be spaced out on the back lower section so it remains straight. Then need to fill the gap it creates when you put the bend in the door frame at the same location as the B pillar. By the picture posted looks like the bows made to fit hard doors. Easiest is replace the B pillar bow with the one made to fit soft top doors. I wonder how that would effect the middle cross bow.:hmm:

There is a non-sequitur here. If your current soft doors are as wide as they appear to be in post #8, then they wouldn't seal properly against the tub either, not just the bow. There must be something going on at the A pillar side of the door frame, or maybe your tub is bent.

We had bent the oem FST doors ... the slight bend does not really effect the window ... but... he wouldn't have that issue with oem FST canvas doors anyway

Imho I would just bring the bestop doors you currently have to an upholstery shop and have them match to door uppers to the FST bows ... probably cost as much as a used set of FST doors ... but... would be removable uppers still

@Living in the Past

my doors are bent in ... I used to also use my doors on my hardtop ... I bent them and just never bent them back :meh: lazy and stupid lol

See pic
IMG_2749.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom