full rocker replacement options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked at an lc today and both side rockers are bubbling from road salt stuck between them and the steps.

The frame, rest of the body, and interior looks good. its well below market price around here and the seller was quick to lower the price even more.....but a lower price doesnt solve the rusty rockers.

Options?

I'm not sure if they do for land cruisers but I'm the past.

I've had body shops weld on new rockers, example I bought a 2008 Chevy 2500hd couple weeks back both rockers had holes in them. We made a couple phone calls and bought the replacement rocker panel bare metal and he welded and painted them. Cost me right around 650 total to do both sides. Granted that's wholesale and again I don't know if you can buy replacement rockers for land cruisers. Start by calling LKQ Keystone.

I find it hard to believe that with the rockers bubbling to the point you see them needing to be replaced that the frame is in very good shape. I may be wrong but I too would say travel and find something not showing so much rust. Long term headaches aren't worth a bit of saving IMO

have you crawled underneath the truck and inspected with the under covers off? Body parts on these trucks seem to hold up better than undercarriage parts so the rocker panels being rusted may indicate some bigger problems underneath.

have you crawled underneath the truck and inspected with the under covers off? Body parts on these trucks seem to hold up better than undercarriage parts so the rocker panels being rusted may indicate some bigger problems underneath.

That would be a good idea, dropping the plastic shrouds underneath as well as the spare tire (common places bad rust is hiding).

So this would be $5k cheaper then the one that i am looking at. Not just a little bit

If its gonna be a wheelin truck, in the north, that sees a lot of gravel and dirt, then chop them out and weld in some sliders in the rockers place like they do on the old J&$P Cherokees.

If its gonna be a wheelin truck, in the north, that sees a lot of gravel and dirt, then chop them out and weld in some sliders in the rockers place like they do on the old J&$P Cherokees.

Its not going to be a wheeling truck but i had definately considered that coming from a jeep background.

Rocker rust equals rust in other places. Always. If you're comfortable with that, buy it and drive it. You'll hate the rust, and someday post in the thread "what would I have done differently" something about waiting and buying a rust free truck and life will go on. But if the rust bothers you to the point you will pay to have it repaired, keep looking. It took me 10 months to find my 100. Finally snagged it in Florida. Immediately took it to Canada to have it Krowned and haven't had a single spot of rust anywhere since. I love knowing my truck doesn't have hidden cancer somewhere because every single body panel and frame hole is filled with krown spray. I'm a Michigan boy, we know rust. My advice is to find a better candidate.

the most expensive projects start out as cheap projects

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom