Full audio upgrade, speaker sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ended up ordering a Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S. It was listed new on Amazon for $125 less than a reconditioned one on Crutchfield and I got an Authorized online reseller to price match. I can order the wiring kit from Crutchfield and still come out ahead. It has some DSP capabilities. I had planned on getting a DSP equipped amp but you are right, this is an older truck.

Skip a dsp if you’re just going to put in a passive comp set. That amp has plenty of tuning capabilities. I don’t know if you have to do the resistor to keep Ac going like the 2003+ But I’d Bypass the harness and go independent to an aftermarket amp. Save a lot hassle. The gmd 9705 amp is a great five channel amp and super compact. You can put a small sub over the wheel well right over the factory sub in amazon sealed enclosure to save space and keep it cheap.

I found like new on some car audio classifieds both a JL Audio VX1000/5i Amp/DSP and a pair of Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 speakers. These are way more than I had planned to spend but not much more than purchasing lower grade components new. I still need to find a pair of tweeters, probably Dynaudio Esotec MD 102's but if I find comparable quality used tweeters that will fit in the sails that may change.

I'll run the front stage active and won't connect the rear door speakers for now, or if ever, and will only need the one amp since it has a dedicated sub-woofer channel.

I have asked the installer that did my other cars if they could make some speaker mounting brackets for me but if you have some sources you can recommend as well I would appreciate it.

I hope the JL Audio VX1000/5i fits in the factory amp location.
Height (H)2.12 in / 54 mm
Width (W)11.32 in / 287 mm
Depth (D)6.62 in / 168 mm
Net Weight6.45 lb / 2.93 kg

I used the thread below for my speaker/sub upgrades. Still using the factory amp. I get compliments on the audio system all the time and it's more than enough for what I need!

I found like new on some car audio classifieds both a JL Audio VX1000/5i Amp/DSP and a pair of Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 speakers. These are way more than I had planned to spend but not much more than purchasing lower grade components new. I still need to find a pair of tweeters, probably Dynaudio Esotec MD 102's but if I find comparable quality used tweeters that will fit in the sails that may change.

I'll run the front stage active and won't connect the rear door speakers for now, or if ever, and will only need the one amp since it has a dedicated sub-woofer channel.

I have asked the installer that did my other cars if they could make some speaker mounting brackets for me but if you have some sources you can recommend as well I would appreciate it.

I hope the JL Audio VX1000/5i fits in the factory amp location.
Height (H)2.12 in / 54 mm
Width (W)11.32 in / 287 mm
Depth (D)6.62 in / 168 mm
Net Weight6.45 lb / 2.93 kg
THe stock plastic ones off the factory speakers and trace em on mdf and cut em out. The. Sandwhich a sheet of dynamat between the mdf ring and the metal door cavity. Easy and good for sound enhancement.

also massive audio ct2 tweeters are legit and would be good with those 6.5s

THe stock plastic ones off the factory speakers and trace em on mdf and cut em out. The. Sandwhich a sheet of dynamat between the mdf ring and the metal door cavity. Easy and good for sound enhancement.

also massive audio ct2 tweeters are legit and would be good with those 6.5s

I don't think MDF will hold up on the inside my doors; I don't think they seal very well after 20 years and a bit too much moisture is bound to wreck havoc. Thanks though.

I used the thread below for my speaker/sub upgrades. Still using the factory amp. I get compliments on the audio system all the time and it's more than enough for what I need!

Do you know if the tweeter sails are the same size on the 2000 and 2003 Series 100's?

I want to be sure I get something that will fit. Any chance you took internal measurements? I need to find the process to pop them off and take measurements. I hope I don't have to take off the entire skin to do that.

Thanks.

Do you know if the tweeter sails are the same size on the 2000 and 2003 Series 100's?

I want to be sure I get something that will fit. Any chance you took internal measurements? I need to find the process to pop them off and take measurements. I hope I don't have to take off the entire skin to do that.

Thanks.
My CT’s were 28mm (1.10”) and they Fit with no room to spare

I measured the stock ones and believe they came out to just over 34mm wide. I did not measure the depth but they aren't overly deep.
@Pucker5 did you have to modify the sail at all to get your CTs to fit?

How do you safely remove the tweeter cover?

I find lots of pictures after it is removed but none removing it. I don't want to break it and hopefully I don't need to remove the door. I just want precise internal measurements. I think this is what the inside of my 100 series tweeter cover looks like.

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

I was able to remove the sail cover, just didn't wan't to break anything. Of course I didn't notice one of the white clips was loose and it fell down inside the door when I put the cover back on. Think I'll wait until I work on the door speaker to retrieve it.

4_72pi.jpg

5_72pi.jpg

9_72pi.jpg

12_72pi.jpg

17_72pi.jpg

I measured the stock ones and believe they came out to just over 34mm wide. I did not measure the depth but they aren't overly deep.
@Pucker5 did you have to modify the sail at all to get your CTs to fit?
Nope

My 2000, for the sub-woofer had the two 4 1/2 inch woofers. I took out plastic sub enclosure behind the speakers, sound insulated the now bigger chamber in there. I mounted a Polk shallow 8" woofer there by shaping two 3/4 in plywood spacers so it only sticks out a little over 1 1/2 inches. Great sound improvement without taking up a lot of space.

I found like new on some car audio classifieds both a JL Audio VX1000/5i Amp/DSP and a pair of Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 mids and Dynaudio Esotec MD 102 tweeters.

It was suggested the JL Audio didn't provide enough power to the Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 mids and Esotec MD 102 tweeters so I am now considering the Arc Audio ARC 1000.6 amp with IPS 8.8 DSP Module. 4 channels for the front stage and two channels bridged for the sub.

Will it fit under the seat? 15 3/8"(L) x 6 3/8"(W) x 2 1/4"(H)

It was suggested the JL Audio didn't provide enough power to the Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 mids and Esotec MD 102 tweeters so I am now considering the Arc Audio ARC 1000.6 amp with IPS 8.8 DSP Module. 4 channels for the front stage and two channels bridged for the sub.

Will it fit under the seat? 15 3/8"(L) x 6 3/8"(W) x 2 1/4"(H)

I don't think it is going to fit. Looking at other options now. The board in one of the pictures is 15 3/8 inches long. It could tuck a bit under the rail on the right side but there seems to be a raise in the floor on the left side.

amp_3_72pi.jpg

amp_6_72pi.jpg

amp_8_72pi.jpg

I have finalized and ordered the equipment and should have everything installed by the first or second week of March.

Kenwood excelon DDX9905S

Install Dual USB Ports, speaker phone mic, antenna

Dynaudio Esotar 650.2 6 ½ inch mid-woofers

Dynaudio Esotec MD 102 tweeters

Custom Tweeter Pods for Esotec MD102

Composite Woofer Adapters for e650.2

Acoustic Treatment

JL VX1000/5i, 5-channel Class D System Amplifier with integrated DSP

1&2 and 3&4 Bridged to drive mid-woofers, sub channel to drive sub.

ARC KS 125.4 Mini 4-channel Class G amplifier

May bridge to drive tweeters, could use two of the channels for tweeters and two for the rear speakers configured as fill channels.

Amp rack to stack amps so they fit under the passenger seat.

Bass Knob

And a temporary sub I built, AuraSound - 10" NS10-513-4A in 1 cubic foot sealed box

I just found a used JL Audio 12TW3-D4 shallow mount subwoofer driver and started building an enclosure. The outside dimensions are 24” x 16” x 6” and my hope is it will not be as noticeable in the back as the black cube enclosure the AuraSound - 10" NS10-513-4A in 1 cubic foot sealed box is in. I haven’t measured but hope it will even fit behind the 3rd row seats when standing on its side.

I plan on painting it in a color as close to matching the beige carpet, I think Toyota called it Ivory, as possible to help it blend in. Possibly add some feet and have it down firing so the speaker isn’t visible when the seats are out. Ideally I can find some matching fabric and carpet it to really get it to blend in.

I’ll need to find a way to secure it and should still be able to remove it when I need all the space.

12TW3_D4_Enclosure_800p.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom