Fuel Tank Repair.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone local in the greater hendersonville/asheville area want to assist me in removing and patching my fuel tank on the 60? If so I will provide adult beverages and food to whoever wants to help. I don't think it'll be that hard, but I have not done it before and just want extra eyes to let me know if I am messing it up. If you can or want to call (828) 775-4985 or e-mail me @ jay.conkin@mchsi.com

How are you repairing it?? I just fiberglasses my 40 tank and it is fabulous....2 layers over the pin holes and then an entire layer over the bottom and top. Cleaned all the old paint off down to bare metal with a wire wheel brush and then went from there....Good Luck

autozone has some tank repair stuff, I figured I might try that stuff if I can find where it is leaking from

I would go with the kit from por15 or rustbullet. Have not heard good things about the autozone kit.

Dave

Go with good old reliable fiberglass and resin.....it's a heck of a lot cheaper and does the same exact thing all the other expensive kits do. If you are worried about rust in your tank just check your fuel filter often and carry a spare in your trail tools so if you does clog up on ya you can replace it. I spent 15 bucks on the materials and it took me 20 min to apply and then just waiting the drying time in between coats.

I know it's ghettofabulous, but I used some JB Weld to patch my old tank in my 40 and that held for years. I like the fiberglass idea more though, because you don't have to lower your head in shame when you explain to someone how you patched your tank.

My experience with leaking gas tanks (ie, on a 65 Mustang) led me to one of life's lessons: replace that sucker! We used all sorts of things to mend that tank, but as soon as one leak was fixed (sort of) another pin hole leak would pop up. Scary place to have a leak or a patch if you get my drift . . .

SOR has used 60 series tanks at around $200 bucks (and new for around $600). Surely, someone has a 60 tank lying around or on a truck being parted out. I smell a HAMOM in the making.

Last edited:
89's rule has a parts truck
see what he wants for that one and fiberglass it before it goes in on outside and maybe the por stuff on inside and it should be good for a while. also did you check to make sure the gas tank recall has been done on your truck?

dave

Recall! now we're talking. Here is a link to the 1985 fuel tank recall:

1985 Toyota Land Cruiser Recalls, Problems, & 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser Recall Details

You can call your local dealer, give them the VIN, and they can check to see if it was done.

If already done, you may want to call Rick down at Ralph Hayes to see if he can get you a deal on an OEM tank. That's what I did with my Mustang and it was surprisingly cheap (OK, it was 1980 when I did that).

Recall! now we're talking. Here is a link to the 1985 fuel tank recall:

1985 Toyota Land Cruiser Recalls, Problems, & 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser Recall Details

You can call your local dealer, give them the VIN, and they can check to see if it was done.

If already done, you may want to call Rick down at Ralph Hayes to see if he can get you a deal on an OEM tank. That's what I did with my Mustang and it was surprisingly cheap (OK, it was 1980 when I did that).

this is correct. I got my 60 tank replaced for free back in '07. Call RHT with your VIN, they can look it up and see if the recall work has been done yet.

well the permatex gas tank/radiator patch is holding quite well, the leak ended up being under the strap that holds the tank on. I am figuring that a rock or something got up in there and poked a hole in it. I will probbably run with this until I can afford a MAF extended range tank which they are selling again and grab one of those. I am now debating whether or not to put the spare tire crossmember back on. If I can find someone to fab up some metal on the thing it'd make a great fuel tank protector.... But I digress. The tank is less than 2 years old per jim barkley toyota, so it SHOULD be in good shape, I think it was just a rouge off road rock....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom