Fuel Injector rebuild and refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tincan45

Too old to know anything.
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share some notes on my recent fuel injector rebuild. This all started out as a starter replacement and somehow spiraled into a full refresh of the top end of the motor. If you need to do this, I would recommend buying the rebuild kits available online for the filter and upper seals, but try to use the Toyota parts where you can. All of the injector end-caps were still good on the originals after 260K, the lower seals were trashed. You could probably get by with only replacing the lower seals if you wanted to do this on a budget. I also found all 8 injectors were completely clean so the time/effort spent cobbling together an injector cleaner probably wasn't worth it, but it does offer peace of mind.

NOTE: I had one injector leak due to a pinched an O-ring after I put everything back together. Luckily it was an easy fix, but you take extra care inserting the injector back into the fuel rail.

Here's the before and after:

IMG_3812.JPG

Filter replacement:

IMG_3810.JPG

Parts:

IMG_3811.JPG

DIY Injector Flush:

IMG_3813.JPG

^this.

I can't remember what the 2UZ-FE FSM says, but the 1FZ-FE requires this when servicing the top end. I did this when I replaced the headgasket on my son's 80 last year. And had the same O-ring failure.

Improvement in gas mileage?
Not sure, I haven't even been through a full tank. I also replaced coils and spark plugs. Starts and runs like new, ran pretty well before the starter went bad, but there is a difference at idle.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share some notes on my recent fuel injector rebuild. This all started out as a starter replacement and somehow spiraled into a full refresh of the top end of the motor. If you need to do this, I would recommend buying the rebuild kits available online for the filter and upper seals, but try to use the Toyota parts where you can. All of the injector end-caps were still good on the originals after 260K, the lower seals were trashed. You could probably get by with only replacing the lower seals if you wanted to do this on a budget. I also found all 8 injectors were completely clean so the time/effort spent cobbling together an injector cleaner probably wasn't worth it, but it does offer peace of mind.

NOTE: I had one injector leak due to a pinched an O-ring after I put everything back together. Luckily it was an easy fix, but you take extra care inserting the injector back into the fuel rail.

View attachment 3325269

Filter replacement:

View attachment 3325270

Parts:

View attachment 3325271

DIY Injector Flush:

View attachment 3325272

were the injectors on all their original rubber since new?

Yes original rubber before rebuild.

i wish i would have replaced those little wire mesh filters when i had mine out. Very nice work!
Thanks. Definitely worth the extra effort. Running like a sewing machine since the top end refresh in May.

Running cleaners in gas tank like 44K or Chevron Techron can really help clean injectors. Even better is the onboard injector cleaning service. Best doing these before and after replacing seal & screens. Followed up with a leak down (onboard) test.

But, they don't give spray pattern and leak down data on each injector. Which sending out to a good injector service Company does, a various temps.

Running cleaners in gas tank like 44K or Chevron Techron can really help clean injectors. Even better is the onboard injector cleaning service. Best doing these before and after replacing seal & screens. Followed up with a leak down (onboard) test.

But, they don't give spray pattern and leak down data on each injector. Which sending out to a good injector service Company does, a various temps.

Good info thanks.

Will be doing this soon. Is there a Toyota part number for the filter baskets or any recommendations?

Using PartSouq, it only shows the following part numbers for a ‘99 LX470:

O ring: 90301-07024
Top Insulator: 90480-13005
Bottom Insulator: 23291-41010

Thanks!

Will be doing this soon. Is there a Toyota part number for the filter baskets or any recommendations?

Using PartSouq, it only shows the following part numbers for a ‘99 LX470:

O ring: 90301-07024
Top Insulator: 90480-13005
Bottom Insulator: 23291-41010

Thanks!
That's all I ever found available OEM. I ended up getting a kit with filters from ebay and used the upper seal, filter, and plug seal.

Hi Folks,

View attachment 3325269

Filter replacement:

View attachment 3325270

Parts:

View attachment 3325271

DIY Injector Flush:

View attachment 3325272
How do you get out those basket filters?

Either a machine screw threaded into the basket and then pull it out or you can get the small remover tools.

I used a removal tool since it was included with the new filter baskets. You need to use some force to get the screw threads to bite.

Screenshot_20231104_070840_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom