Front shackle not vertical? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

midknightc3

SILVER Star
Threads
I was replacing a worn out bushing yesterday and had previously noticed that the front passenger spring pack appears crooked. I hadn't thought much of this as the bushing was shot and assumed the crookedness was a result of that bushing. However, after putting Energy Suspension bushings on yesterday, I learned that 1: she already has Energy bushing all around, 2: they all look to be in great shape except for the one bottom outer passenger bushing that had no lip left, and 3: a new bushing didn't do a damn thing to fix the crookedness. Any idea what is going on here? All other bushings are in great shape, spring pack appears to be properly seated in the u-bolts, etc.

Pass side with it's slant.
20200730_095836.jpg

Drivers side for comparison. In this pic it appears to have a slight slant as well, but I don't see that with my eyes in person.
20200730_095845.jpg

Closeup of the pass side, you can really see the angle here and how it is wearing on the sides of the bushings.
20200730_095917.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts!
Clark

Worn bushings or axle not mounted to spring properly for any of a myriad of reasons....maybe?

What does the spring pack look like? did they shift?

Last year my spring shackle perch got ripped from the frame. Had it rewelded back on the frame...in its ‘exact’ same spot and orientation.

Could yours possibly have had a poor repair causing your condition?

I’m sure your leafs are fanned out as its sitting. I would jack up that side of the truck, loosen the U bolts at the axle, Hammer leafs back straight, install new bushings at springs front and back, get everything lined back up, tighten everything back down, and lower it back to the ground and see what it looks like.

Also I’d consider different front shackles w a welded center brace instead of the bolt through. Those seem to be the ones that tweak the most imo. Good luck!

Last edited:
Looks like your DS spring is on backwards (military wrap should to fixed end). Does the spring position look good at the fixed end? Or are they pulled towards center in balance with spraying out at the front?

I'd loosen everything off, flip the DS spring, and try to align everything before tightening (ratchet strap front ends together, persuade springs towards center at axle perches if needed).

It does look like the PS shackle hanger is tweaked though (not parallel to tie rod)...

Last edited:
I crawled under there again last evening and everything looks solidly in there, but the leafs are a bit fanned out. The rear is pushing hard on the inner bushing, which makes sense with the front pushing on the outer. I'll try loosening everything up and hammer them back into place and see how that holds. I'll definitely look into reversing the springs too, perhaps having them backwards is part of why they fanned out in the first place?

Clark

Cruiser leaf springs have an offset center pin; meaning that the distance from the center bolt to the front is a shorter than from the bolt to the rear of the spring. With one leaf spring backward it changes the angle of the axle to the frame causing undo pressure on the leaf pack and shackles.

Last edited:
Well I spun the drivers side spring around, this did have the effect of straightening out the passenger side spring pack, but the shackle is still a bit crooked. The old girl will be in the shop on Monday getting some other stuff looked at, so I will have them take a gander while they are under there. She does definitely handle different now that the front axle is actually perpendicular for the frame though! Or maybe that's just the new tie rod ends I put on at the same time :coffee:

Well I spun the drivers side spring around, this did have the effect of straightening out the passenger side spring pack, but the shackle is still a bit crooked. The old girl will be in the shop on Monday getting some other stuff looked at, so I will have them take a gander while they are under there. She does definitely handle different now that the front axle is actually perpendicular for the frame though! Or maybe that's just the new tie rod ends I put on at the same time :coffee:
What solved that crooked shackle? I just realized mine is doing almost the same thing on the passenger side, not quite as pronounced as yours. But the entire suspension system is only a year old. Both my springs are orientated correctly.

Hey mate! just got back from a big trip, trying to wrack my brain for my solution to this. I'm not sure I ever really got the shackles to be vertical with the OME suspension. I'm not running Dobinson IMS and find it to be absolutely fantastic. I remember I had some issues with the springs not being seated properly, but I think that was related to the one spring being installed backwards. Check the riveted mounts for your shackles, especially the fronts. Mine had actually sheered clean off the frame while taking the dogs out for a walk one time, I'm sure if the factory rivets were working loose this could cause some alignment issues, same as if the brackets were welded back on slightly out of position.

Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom