Front Parking Sensor and Rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Drove for a few hours in a pretty good rain over the weekend ('15 LC) when the front drivers side parking sensor started malfunctioning. Got a message on the console screen about a park assist problem Very annoying so I turned it off. Have had the pre-collision system turn off before due to snow, but no problems with the parking sensors. Turned it back on after the weather cleared and this one sensor (shown on dash) continued to malfunction for the next two days of DRY weather. 5 days later and it now works fine.

Dealer service tells me it's normal behavior for rain, that the owners manual says that it should be turned off in the rain. I'm not sure that's correct, I know it applies to the pre-collision system but when you have one particular parking sensor acting whack for 3-4 days after driving in the rain I would expect the sensor needs to be replaced. Dealer service says no.

Anyone with similar experience, resolution ... opinion?

Thanks S1

I've only had that issue in snow when the build up on the sensor keeps it going off. I never had a problem in rain. Sounds like moisture leaked into the sensor.

My experience has been the same as TonyP's. I will say that parking sensors don't work all that well.

Thx - Yes they are annoying at times but useful when squeezing into the garage. Agree about water in the sensor, don't agree with the dealer that that's normal and they have to be turned off for several days.

Yeah, the dealer is blowing smoke up your skirt.

Thx - Yes they are annoying at times but useful when squeezing into the garage. Agree about water in the sensor, don't agree with the dealer that that's normal and they have to be turned off for several days.

Just checked the manual -yes, dealer is sort of right this time ... page 230 of my manual (2013) does state that "certain vehicle conditions and the surrounding environment may affect the ability of the sensor to correctly detect obstacles" -the list provided has: "the vehicle is covered with a sheet of spray or heavy rain" (it also list harsh sunlight or intense cold weather).

Just checked the manual -yes, dealer is sort of right this time ... page 230 of my manual (2013) does state that "certain vehicle conditions and the surrounding environment may affect the ability of the sensor to correctly detect obstacles" -the list provided has: "the vehicle is covered with a sheet of spray or heavy rain" (it also list harsh sunlight or intense cold weather).

I vote for turning it off...since--if you are relying on the beep to avoid scrapes--it sounds like the beep is not all that reliable anyway. I turned mine off long ago...

Last edited:
I've never seen rain stop them from working, and I live in the PNW where it rains every F'in day! I can confirm they stop working if you hit a tree:)
i-HcRQQ4C-X2.jpg

I've never seen rain stop them from working, and I live in the PNW where it rains every F'in day! I can confirm they stop working if you hit a tree:)
View attachment 1432104

But...but...shouldn't it have warned you away from hitting the tree?? :hillbilly:<Beeeeep-BANG!

But...but...shouldn't it have warned you away from hitting the tree?? :hillbilly:<Beeeeep-BANG!
hah, I turn that S**T off unless I'm downtown in a parking garage:)

hah, I turn that S**T off unless I'm downtown in a parking garage:)

Ya, mine's been turned off so long I forget that it's there...

Last 3-4 days. 7 years this has never happened before and the last time it rained was a week ago.

DE4452A4-D5E2-49B3-BE2A-D2AA1E6B23EB.jpeg

2A635A95-9AAD-488E-AF5E-F245BC9AEB19.jpeg

My sensors have been all weird since I got it home to rainy Oregon. Not sure if it’s worth investigating or not.

Are the sensors dirty?

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same on my new to me 200.
Thanks,

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom