Front end/brake issues on recently purchased 2004 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I just found and bought an 04 gx with 200k but no rust and good service records. Runs great but the brakes/steering does a weird thing I didn't notice when I test drove it. If I brake aggressively or even remove my foot from the brake quickly when in gear at a light the steering wheel kicks. If while stopped you look at the wheel you can see it kind of shake and vibrate wen you let off the pedal abruptly. It feels pretty squirrelly when braking hard at speed but it doesn't seem to pull one way or the other.
The vehicle has an OME 2/2.5 inch lift and is running 285 70 17s
Has anyone experience this?? Any idea what the fix action would be??
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Nobody has anything? It also happens at speed letting off the brakes suddenly. Could it maybe be that one brake is grabbing and or letting go a split second before or after the other??

Never heard of a steering wheel moving by itself at a stop…
Me either but it shudders...it's like it lets go so fast or something...still seems odd, I've took off the wheels and nothing seems lose or broken, I'm at a loss.

Is it pulling to one side? It could have a stuck caliper making one side brake harder, which would definitely move the steering wheel (away from the weak side) when braking. These are known to have caliper pins seize, and are also known to have rotors warp, which will make the wheel stake/vibrate some times when braking.

Is it pulling to one side? It could have a stuck caliper making one side brake harder, which would definitely move the steering wheel (away from the weak side) when braking. These are known to have caliper pins seize, and are also known to have rotors warp, which will make the wheel stake/vibrate some times when braking.
Hey there, thanks for the reply...it doesn't pull to one side or the other while braking. Once brakes are applied it seems to brake fine, perhaps too well even. It's only when suddenly applying or removing pressure from the brake pedal that I get the shake of the wheels and steering wheel...just one shake, kind of like hitting a pot hole or a rock...quick deflection then smooth. The rotors are new as are the brake pads...The guy I bought it from just replaced them. The rotors are are slotted and the brake pads are "high performance" as per the guy. They do look new though the calipers are the stock ones I'm pretty sure.

So, today I replaced the brake pads, cleaned up and greased the pins, and replaced the sway bar linkages. The problem seems to have lessened by maybe 50%. It's minor enough now so that I don't feel it's a problem. If it stays at this level I'll be content. I do love this truck. :)

I agree with @Rednexus

Sounds like a sticking or stuck caliper piston. Toyota makes a rebuild kit that is fairly inexpensive. If you dig into the pistons, my guess is at least one of the pistons is sticking of frozen. Easiest thing is to get remanufactured calipers from Toyota or RockAuto.

I've had good luck with NAPA reman calipers as well. Calipers in these are really a wear item and probably need to be replaced every 100-150k.

I had stuck caliper pistons on mine when I bought it. Brakes much better having replaced them (but I also did the entire system from the soft lines to the wheel).

Also had a stuck caliper. Check the temp of the rotor after driving for a bit. The stuck side was obvious just by the heat. And since you have a 2004 with 200k, might as well do new calipers in the front at a minimum. I had to purchase Advanced Auto calipers because they were in stock at 9pm on a Sunday and they have worked perfectly for the past 9months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom