Front diff leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I just noticed my front diff leaking through the bolts which goes through the diff mounting into the diff at the bottom . Can anyone please help how to fix . Please.

20230104_135558.jpg

20230104_135524.jpg

20230104_135509.jpg

20230104_135436.jpg

20230104_135352.jpg

Hi I just noticed my front diff leaking through the bolts which goes through the diff mounting into the diff at the bottom . Can anyone please help how to fix . Please.

Have you had any work done recently? It's rare to hear of a front diff leak.

Are the bolts tight ?
I haven't checked the bolts tight as i am planning to go on a trip didn't want to make it worse it's just a minor leak at this stage checked the fluid level was full but it is weird to have a leak come through the Bolts definitely not coming from the gasket as i cleaned it with degreaser and checked again its them 3 bolts. I will take some photos. Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it.

No just did diff oil leak 1year ago it has only done 93k never done off road .

Hrmm... the front diff isn't really known to leak even if abused. It's always possible I guess. Any chance you recently did an oil change and they spilled some?

Would be useful to verify if it's engine oil or gear oil. Gear oil has a distinctly strong smell. If you can get at it, rub it between your fingers and give it a whiff.

There's a chance it could be a valve cover or cam shaft tower leak, which is more common, and it's dripping down on the diff?

Hrmm... the front diff isn't really known to leak even if abused. It's always possible I guess. Any chance you recently did an oil change and they spilled some?

Would be useful to verify if it's engine oil or gear oil. Gear oil has a distinctly strong smell. If you can get at it, rub it between your fingers and give it a whiff.

There's a chance it could be a valve cover or cam shaft tower leak, which is more common, and it's dripping down on the diff?

I did oil change 1 year ago since had no leaks I used degreaser and clean it well to make sure where the leak was come from it had a leak drive axle seal which Toyota replaced under warranty but this leak is from them three bolts I will put some photos soon for you. Thank you.

I did oil change 1 year ago since had no leaks I used degreaser and clean it well to make sure where the leak was come from it had a leak drive axle seal which Toyota replaced under warranty but this leak is from them three bolts I will put some photos soon for you. Thank you.

Sounds like a re-occurring issue and there's no easy button. Wonder if it's indicative of another root cause that's wearing the drive axle seal?

For your trip, might be okay to top off the gear oil and address if after you return?

No just did diff oil change 1year ago it has only done 93k never done off road .

Sounds like a re-occurring issue and there's no easy button. Wonder if it's indicative of another root cause that's wearing the drive axle seal?

For your trip, might be okay to top off the gear oil and address if after you return?
It's not the drive axle seal I thought it was but it's them bolts I am talking about please check my photos

16727944011336393546202990311091.jpg

Yep 1st thing I did was to check the breather and it's not blocked or dirty it's tucked behind the plastic guard in the wheel arch.
Never had it in water or off road wish I never sold my 100 series.

As someone that's a bit OCD about his vehicle, I would not be concerned about what you posted in the photos, at all.

As someone that's a bit OCD about his vehicle, I would not be concerned about what you posted in the photos, at all.
This photos are taken after cleaning the oil leak. What you see now is fresh oil weeping out.

personally i would leave it alone, its a minor seep that you not going to lose any appreciable amount of oil from. if you really want to try to do something about it you could remove the bolts and put a dab of red fipg on the bolt threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom