Front Bearing Repack... Am I missing something? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm repacking front bearings.

Rig is 96 80 series. 146k miles. I bought it 5k ago and figured it would be a good time to do the bearing Repack.

Did diff fluids yesterday and am doing the repacking today. Dissassembled easy enough with the FSM and FAQ here.

Did the passenger side to start. Got into it and got the rotors off. I'm looking in, and notice that I don't think it had any interior bearings? Am I crazy here?

Pics attached of everything that came off.

(Got some sludge coming out around the spindle covering the adjustment & lock nuts. Pretty sure that's a sign that the birfields are gonna need to be redone.

IMG_20181014_130447.jpg

IMG_20181014_130441.jpg

IMG_20181014_130435.jpg

15395454666893686870372030122961.jpg

IMG_20181014_123935.jpg

WAT. Your ‘interior’ or inner bearings are inside the hub. You’ll have to pull the inner seal if you want the bearing out to repack. Pics 3 and 4 show the bearing pretty clearly.

There is an inner and an outer and a seal. In my experience, the locknut always has to be tighter than you can imagine to prevent play at the wheel. Looking forward to hearing other opinions .

WAT. Your ‘interior’ or inner bearings are inside the hub. You’ll have to pull the inner seal if you want the bearing out to repack. Pics 3 and 4 show the bearing pretty clearly.

An easy way to pull it; put the hub back on the spindle, and one of the nuts, then pull the hub off. The hub/rotor works like a slide hammer, leaving the bearing and seal on the spindle. Cleanup the dust shield, so the debris doesn't fall into your fresh grease.

There is an inner and an outer and a seal. In my experience, the locknut always has to be tighter than you can imagine to prevent play at the wheel. Looking forward to hearing other opinions .

Come on @Tools R Us tell him the wheel bearing tightening trick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom