Front axle/birf replacement options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking into replacing front axles and birfs as they are clicking and the axles seem to be too worn to seal well. OEM seems pretty spendy upfront, and longfields don't look like they are available for 80s at the moment, so I was looking for some other possible options. I don't necessarily care about getting 200k+ out of them if the price matches up, and I don't plan on running anything bigger than 33s with a small lift, but I also don't want something that isn't a good product. I saw some on eBay from a company out of Australia called GSP that seem like the price might be too good to be true http://www.ebay.com/itm/130975660010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but they also look pretty similar to OEM in the picture. Anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions otherwise would also be much appreciated. Thanks.

I picked up a set of the aftermarket units Slee Off-road. The price is a lot easier to swallow than OEM, and for what I use the 80 for I am satisfied.

I just bought some Longfields about a month ago...plan on installing them this weekend...hopefully

RCV's are the BOMB, but are about $750 for the setup.

I just got long's like 3 wks ago. I called TrailGear (new owner for longs) and they said If I call another vendor they will give them to me cheaper even though they still ship out from trailgear....huuuhh. So I asked him for a recomendation. I called there (forgot name) and they sent me out a super set for my 96 80 for $640 shipped.

You can look into Nitro axles from JT's also. Used would def be the cheapest.

scrowley, if you can figure out where you picked up longs for $640, that would probably be my choice. That is quite a bit cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. I will definitely look into used as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look in my receipts later and see what the company's name is. Not sure why the guy at TG told me this but it was a great suprise. I was about to pay 750 plus shipping from TG. Sometime you catch a break I guess.

Thanks scrowley, I definitely appreciate it. Any help saving a couple bucks is fantastic.

Just FYI, we have been stocking and selling chromoly and standard replacement type Birfields and kits for years with hundreds upon hundreds in use. Not only are they super strong, with a less than .01% failure rate, they also last longer than the competition’s as we realize that 80 series in the US are ALL full time 4wd. This is the same kit we use in our competition type 9.5” custom front axle assemblies, like used on our BJ73 for Ultimate Adventure.
Available for purchase from your favorite landcruiser parts supplier. Slee, Cruiser Outfitters, Redline, ACC Toyota, Safari LTD, Cruiserparts, Valley Hybrids, Baertrax, and just about any vendor on the forum.

AXTBIRF-FJ80KIT

Nitro Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Heavy Duty Chromoly Birfield 30/30 Kits are designed to offer a significant increase in strength over the OEM CV joints. This kit is a complete solution to upgrade from your worn OEM CV joints and axles. A great addition if you've fitted larger tires, added accessories and use your Land Cruiser off-road. Specially formulated for strength and to stand up to increased shock loading these joints won't last as long as standard replacement joints, but will outlast the competition's chromoly birfield joints, as Nitro spec's harder bearings and cage for more wear resistance.
Kit includes Birfield Joints and Inner axles for both sides
-High strength Chromoly Material featuring State of the art machining, heat-treating and polishing processes for uniformity and ultimate in strength
-Strength far exceeds OEM, but cost is much less.
-30/BIG24 Splined. Fully compatible with factory or aftermarket carriers and lockers
-Spec'd with harder cage and bearings for more wear resistance than the competition.
-Fits both ABS and Non-ABS vehicles
-Dual snapring grooves for drive flange or manual hubs*
-Nitro Limited Lifetime warranty against breakage

Fits:
-1991-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series FZJ80 HDJ80 HDJ81 HZJ80
-1991-2007 Toyota Burbuja & Autana (Venezuela built 80 Series Landcruiser)

*1991-1994 Models require the later stronger: TOY43421-60040 1995-1997 type drive flanges
*Will work with manual hubs, but may require trimming end.

Just FYI, we have been stocking and selling chromoly and standard replacement type Birfields and kits for years with hundreds upon hundreds in use. Not only are they super strong, with a less than .01% failure rate, they also last longer than the competition’s as we realize that 80 series in the US are ALL full time 4wd. This is the same kit we use in our competition type 9.5” custom front axle assemblies, like used on our BJ73 for Ultimate Adventure.
Available for purchase from your favorite landcruiser parts supplier. Slee, Cruiser Outfitters, Redline, ACC Toyota, Safari LTD, Cruiserparts, Valley Hybrids, Baertrax, and just about any vendor on the forum.

AXTBIRF-FJ80KIT

Nitro Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Heavy Duty Chromoly Birfield 30/30 Kits are designed to offer a significant increase in strength over the OEM CV joints. This kit is a complete solution to upgrade from your worn OEM CV joints and axles. A great addition if you've fitted larger tires, added accessories and use your Land Cruiser off-road. Specially formulated for strength and to stand up to increased shock loading these joints won't last as long as standard replacement joints, but will outlast the competition's chromoly birfield joints, as Nitro spec's harder bearings and cage for more wear resistance.
Kit includes Birfield Joints and Inner axles for both sides
-High strength Chromoly Material featuring State of the art machining, heat-treating and polishing processes for uniformity and ultimate in strength
-Strength far exceeds OEM, but cost is much less.
-30/BIG24 Splined. Fully compatible with factory or aftermarket carriers and lockers
-Spec'd with harder cage and bearings for more wear resistance than the competition.
-Fits both ABS and Non-ABS vehicles
-Dual snapring grooves for drive flange or manual hubs*
-Nitro Limited Lifetime warranty against breakage

Fits:
-1991-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series FZJ80 HDJ80 HDJ81 HZJ80
-1991-2007 Toyota Burbuja & Autana (Venezuela built 80 Series Landcruiser)

*1991-1994 Models require the later stronger: TOY43421-60040 1995-1997 type drive flanges
*Will work with manual hubs, but may require trimming end.

Cool, are the birfs warrantied for a certain # of miles? meaning how many miles till they wear out?

Cool, are the birfs warrantied for a certain # of miles? meaning how many miles till they wear out?
No mileage or wear warranty, but they are rebuildable. Since changing the specs about 4 years ago, we have not had anyone mentioning wearing them out. They are warranteed against breakage. For those that are racking up 20k miles a year and running maybe 35" or less and not as hardcore I would suggest the standard replacement type. After all, the stock birfields that people break usually have a gazillion miles on them and are worn and loose:
Standard Replacement type, great for most people as more often than not people are breaking worn out stock joints, not new ones.

AXTBIRF-FJ80 (replacement type joint only)

Nitro Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series Replacement type Birfield Joints are designed to last for the long-haul. The 80 Series features a very robust, large CV joint called a Birfield. It's rare that the fail in stock form, but since 80 Series Landcruisers are full time 4wd the Birfields do wear out. In recent years we've seen off-roaders flocking to these 80 series, installing large tires and taking them 4-wheeling only to break a stock birfield joint. Well, more often than not it was because the joint was already worn out and loose, leading to a failure. Not everyone needs Chromoly, these replacement Nitro Joints are a viable option for daily driven vehicles and won't break the bank.
-Lasts longer than Competitor's Chromoly joints
-Far less expensive than OEM
-State of the art machining, heat-treating and polishing processes for uniformity and ultimate strength
-Fits both ABS and Non-ABS vehicles (includes ABS Ring)
-Birfield /CV Joint Only
-Fits Stock Inner Axles
-Replaces OE 43405-60070)
-Sold Each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom