FROADER's 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Nitto Ridge Grapplers seem to run wider than most 285/70R17s.
Which is funny because my 265/70/17 Ridge Grapplers seem to be a hair skinnier than the usual all-terrains.

Getting back to the topic of actual tire size. Your 34x10.5 KO2s do seem to run small.
I really don't like how small these look on the rig. Especially knowing that this is only a sagging 2.5" lift in the front, with the extra weight of the bumper and winch. I can't wait for Jan 20th, and the 700# spring swap.

CJI_7595.jpg

I was just thinking about tires again yesterday, and I may try a 285/75 next time, but I'm also considering just going to 35s. I still want a little bit wider mainly for looks (I can't stand a skinny tire on a wide wheel) but still want the height. If I have to get a spacer for any rubbing issues, I'm ok with that.

The only tire company that I've personally found to have sizes close to advertised is Interco. I had 36x12.5s on my beater ~14 years ago, and they measured at 35.3 on the truck.

JohnBull.jpg

Last edited:
Which is funny because my 265/70/17 Ridge Grapplers seem to be a hair skinnier than the usual all-terrains.
What wheel size? I read somewhere that wheel size can make your tire skinnier or wider.

I really don't like how small these look on the rig. Especially knowing that this is only a sagging 2.5" lift in the front, with the extra weight of the bumper and winch. I can't wait for Jan 20th, and the 700# spring swap.

View attachment 2885160

I was just thinking about tires again yesterday, and I may try a 285/75 next time, but I'm also considering just going to 35s. I still want a little bit wider mainly for looks (I can't stand a skinny tire on a wide wheel) but still want the height. If I have to get a spacer for any rubbing issues, I'm ok with that.

The only tire company that I've personally found to have sizes close to advertised is Interco. I had 36x12.5s on my beater ~14 years ago, and they measured at 35.3 on the truck.

View attachment 2885143
It's interesting how everyone likes different things. I think your GX470 looks very nice with those tires.

I personally want to get 33x10.5 tires in the future to see if I can get rid of the rubbing on full lock. My wheels are 17x9 -12 offset, so I essentially have a spacer built into the wheel and I still rub.

I would consider the Kenda Klever 35x10.50R17LT, but I'm not ready for 35s. I still have stock bumpers, so less clearance and a stock spare location that limits spare tire size

Last edited:

I’ve been reading tire specification sheets from the mfgs and they measure the tire on a specific rim size.

For example, Nitto says they measure the 285/70R17s on a 17x8.5 rim. I have a 17x9. So, 0.5” extra rim width equates to 0.2” wider tire. I read this information somewhere yesterday and forgot to save the link.

So, for some people running the trd pro wheels that are like 17x7 on 285s, this may translate to approximately 3x0.2”=0.6” narrower Nitto Ridge Grappler tire. Assuming of course that the 0.5” rim width to 0.2” tire width impact ratio is linear and holds true.

And I didn’t read anything on tire height impact. Not sure if that’s impacted much.

If you are running a 17x8.5 wheel, this is probably the standard measuring rim for mfgs on 285/70/17 tires. Not sure what other tire sizes are measured on, but this info is usually listed in the tire spec sheet provided by the mfg.

I’ve been reading tire specification sheets from the mfgs and they measure the tire on a specific rim size.

For example, Nitto says they measure the 285/70R17s on a 17x8.5 rim. I have a 17x9. So, 0.5” extra rim width equates to 0.2” wider tire. I read this information somewhere yesterday and forgot to save the link.

So, for some people running the trd pro wheels that are like 17x7 on 285s, this may translate to approximately 3x0.2”=0.6” narrower Nitto Ridge Grappler tire. Assuming of course that the 0.5” rim width to 0.2” tire width impact ratio is linear and holds true.

And I didn’t read anything on tire height impact. Not sure if that’s impacted much.

If you are running a 17x8.5 wheel, this is probably the standard measuring rim for mfgs on 285/70/17 tires. Not sure what other tire sizes are measured on, but this info is usually listed in the tire spec sheet provided by the mfg.
Wow good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Just picked up the rig from Kaizen Off-Road. Sean is a super knowledgeable, cool and friendly dude, and a pleasure to work with. They swapped out my 650 lbs. springs (which are for sale now) with 700s... Even on the short drive home, I'm already glad I did the swap. It doesn't dive when braking anymore, and it just feels more sturdy like it should. I'll drive it 50-100 miles and then get an alignment which it has needed anyway. I'm pumped!

He also just went through the front end to check the status of everything.
The lower alignment bushings in the coil overs were installed backwards, which actually moves the coil over forward closer to the sway bar. He took care of that.
Lower control arm bushings are going to need to be replaced soon...
Put a spacer so the sway bar didn't hit the skid plate anymore.
He checked and tightened everything to the correct torque specs.

They are in Huntington Beach, CA. If you're in the area and looking for a good shop to take your stuff to, I would not hesitate to send you there.

Instagram - @kaizenoffroad

Last edited:
I thought I remembered you from the Explorer Forum. Do you still have the Explorer? Yours and Rick's were some serious inspirations for me when I had mine.
That’s me. Glad I could inspire some cool truck stuff. 😀

I’ve had 3 Explorers since that rig, but don’t have one anymore. What is your screen name on EF?

Knowing most tire companies run small compared to advertised, I was curious just how "tall" mine actually are. These are 34x10.5x17 BFG KO2s unweighted with 32PSI...

Pretty sad actually.

View attachment 2833506
I went to measure my Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70R17 (32.7"x11.5") mounted on my GX470 empty and the front measures 31 5/8. That's a hair shorter than you 34s, so I guess you are right about your 34s looking like 33s. I'm running 38 PSI.

I'm going to go with 285/75 Cooper AT3s next time I need tires.

I got it aligned on Thursday, and we headed out to Anza for the weekend, again. This time we went to the Blair Valley area. Beautiful weather during the day but got pretty cold at night.

View attachment 2909818
View attachment 2909817
View attachment 2909816
That's a nice picture with the sun over the mountains...looks peaceful and isolated from the city lights.

How did the 700 lbf/in front coils do in the dirt?

That's a nice picture with the sun over the mountains...looks peaceful and isolated from the city lights.

How did the 700 lbf/in front coils do in the dirt?
With it being close to a new moon on Saturday night, it was real dark, which is nice. It was a little cloudy though, so I couldn't get any good night photos...

I'm much happier with the 700# coils. They did great in the dirt. When the time comes to service the shocks (still have at least 20k miles before that), I may slow down the rebound just a little. It still rides great and isn't bad, I just noticed on a few of the bigger hits, the front end came up quicker.

I've had the 9" Joying unit in mind for a while now, so guess it's time to pull the trigger. I should have done it earlier, because the price is up about $50 since the last time I looked at it.

Anyone know how to tell which amplifier (non-nav, non-ML) is installed from the factory without removing the seat completely? It's asking if I have a JBL or Pioneer. From what I've read through my search my system has the Pioneer, but there wasn't a definitive answer and I want to be sure before ordering.

Last edited:
Oh that sucks with the vais adaptor.

I’m glad I have the Bluetooth connection using the USA spec bt45-toy adaptor.

Your drawer system is stunning! Any ballpark on the weight?
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked on it. I would guess 90-100 lbs. Definitely not more than that.

I took the folding platforms off for now, since it seems to be the whole family going camping lately, not just me and the dog (which is great). It's 6 screws and I'll just put them back in if I ever go solo, to sleep inside the rig instead of the tent.

The Joying 9" unit was ordered last night.

Finally installed the Joying and reverse camera today. It’s a pretty easy job and took me about 2 hours total with no broken tabs or extra pieces! 😆

I’m loving the CarPlay capabilities.

46FB1C61-E15B-49BF-9A90-45A559B52AE6.jpeg

1DA95C9D-2215-4B82-9BD8-904127A64A7C.jpeg

724A8351-FF60-4836-9148-8979E1FD9016.jpeg

The non nav unit and v-line will be in the classifieds forum soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom