Fox Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcguirejohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched around for a bit and couldn't find much content on the 2.0 reservoir shocks.
Is anyone running them? I want to utilize the stock 80 shock mounts hopefully without adapters..
3" lift, no coil spacers.
Or if someone has a better brand/ model in a similar price range that they recommend let me know!

You can call down south motor sports and they can get you more info on them. Just my thoughts, having run the non resi 2.0 for over a year. I would wait until you saved up enough for a 2.5. Its not that the 2.0 isn't good, but if you get into a rock garden / boulder strewn trail they don't really have the oomph to keep the truck rocking back and forth.

Cool I will give them a call, thanks for the lead.
I hear ya about the 2.5s, I've been going back and forth on it but decided that since the 60 body is a little lighter than the 80 series that I should be fine with the 2.0s. Plus I will appreciate the savings...

I've read a lot of threads about issues with the 2.0 over heating, requiring rebuilds, seized nuts on studs...

I did a lot of research on them and decided to order them from Down South Motorsports which is here in San Diego. Guys there were good and knowledgeable.

Thing is that I don't think they were worth the ~$250 each... They are a step up from the OME for what I've used them for, and the remote reservoir is definitely noticeable during long periods of offroad use. I haven't had any leaks or anything... But last week had a nut seize on the shaft out of nowhere. Make sure you use anti seize! ;)

That being said, I am saving up for some 2.5" shocks...

Well it sounds like I need to do a little bit more research on the right shock to get. Are the non reservoir fox's any better? I don't need the reservoirs necessarily.
Or any other brands that are similar in price?

Fox Shox 2.0's Are On!
Fox Shox 2.0 post your valving and weight.

I've been running mine for years, gotten them super hot, taken through south america and the fronts are still on original oil, without a failure. They've worked really well for me.

The mounting of the resi's lets you be creative :) Otherwise super happy once you get the valving dialed in. I think more of the failures were with the non resi models "performance" models vs. the factory series.

I run some cheap shock boots on mine as the rears get blased with rocks.

Also w/ the remote resi's you can field maintain them to some extent; IE replace seals, recharge, etc.

Last edited:
I went from OEM replacement Bilsteins to Fox 2.0 IFP shocks for 3" to 4" lift. I love them. The Fox are soft but control the vehicle really well. The first few rides with them, I didn't like the softness. Now that I've put a few more miles on them, I love the ride. Taking tight turns, the truck starts to roll but stays completely under control.

I thought purpose of the reservoirs was for heat control and consistent performance on extended runs on heavily corrugated roads or high speed runs. At crawling speed, resi or not didn't matter.

I run the Fox 2.0. I was super impressed in the performance over my OMEs. With the OMEs, my rig felt like a 1975 full size chevy truck clunking over/through obstacles. The Fox just absorbed dips and bumps like it should. Granted, my OMEs were 10+ years old with about 30K miles on them. I'd be curious to see what a new set of OME or Bilsteins are like.

Thing is that I don't think they were worth the ~$250 each... They are a step up from the OME for what I've used them for, and the remote reservoir is definitely noticeable during long periods of offroad use.

That being said, I am saving up for some 2.5" shocks...

A couple good points made here ^ . While the 2.0 resi is probably not worth $250 ea ( $1000 for four is putting us a lot closer to 2.5 range) the 2.0 non reservoir version is definitely worth the $120 ea or so that they are going for. They are quite a bit of improvement over OME.

The thing that sucks about dumping a $1000 into shocks is that your so very close to getting into the realm of 2.5's that if you don't like what you picked you will always regret not spending a few hundred extra. I have wanted 2.5 CDC adjustable resi's for years now. When I bought my FOX 2.0's I knew that it was a stop gap between what I had and where I wanted to be. Albeit, the FOX units have held up well and coupled with the new springs have made the drive much more enjoyable then ever before.

@mcguirejohnson I would either say spring for the 2.5's now, or just grab a set of non resi 2.0's and enjoy some of the better shocks you can get for $500. I believe Radflo makes a non reservoir 2.5 that might interest you. I know Dobinsons has the MRR which I think is running somewhere in the $300 range. I haven't seen anyone on here reviewing them yet. Perhaps @David Otero could give us some more info ?

A couple good points made here ^ . While the 2.0 resi is probably not worth $250 ea ( $1000 for four is putting us a lot closer to 2.5 range) the 2.0 non reservoir version is definitely worth the $120 ea or so that they are going for. They are quite a bit of improvement over OME.

The thing that sucks about dumping a $1000 into shocks is that your so very close to getting into the realm of 2.5's that if you don't like what you picked you will always regret not spending a few hundred extra. I have wanted 2.5 CDC adjustable resi's for years now. When I bought my FOX 2.0's I knew that it was a stop gap between what I had and where I wanted to be. Albeit, the FOX units have held up well and coupled with the new springs have made the drive much more enjoyable then ever before.

@mcguirejohnson I would either say spring for the 2.5's now, or just grab a set of non resi 2.0's and enjoy some of the better shocks you can get for $500. I believe Radflo makes a non reservoir 2.5 that might interest you. I know Dobinsons has the MRR which I think is running somewhere in the $300 range. I haven't seen anyone on here reviewing them yet. Perhaps @David Otero could give us some more info ?

Our MRR series for the 80 is 66 (2.6")diameter with 60mm bore. We are retailing the shocks at $350.00 each. We currently have two guys running them and only one is on the forum @FloridaFJ80 which is actually a dealer of ours in the Virginia area, his company is called Landcruiser Heaven, the other 80 will be competing in the Red Clay Rally in June.

Lots of great info thanks guys.. I think I'm settled on going with the non res 2.0s and I will run them until I feel the need to upgrade to some 2.5s later down the line.
I was not aware that the 2.0 reservoir shocks were $250 a piece that's what shot down that option pretty quick

Lots of great info thanks guys.. I think I'm settled on going with the non res 2.0s and I will run them until I feel the need to upgrade to some 2.5s later down the line.
I was not aware that the 2.0 reservoir shocks were $250 a piece that's what shot down that option pretty quick

Any 2.0 resi shocks will be more than 250 a piece, fox 2.0 resi shocks are the cheapest of the 2.0 resi shocks by a pretty good margin. If 250 is a limitation then you pretty much have OME and fox IFP as your only options because all other non-resi 2.0 quality shocks(King, radflow, icon.....) are all at 250-350 range.

I have the 2.0 Resi's on the front built by Downsouth to fit with no adapters. I also added the 7 position adjuster to them so I can firm or soften them. I have been very happy with them, have about 15,000 miles on them with at least 1000 miles of off road and no issues with them at all. I have not yet put decent shocks on the rear, that's coming up soon. For the moment, I have some cheap KYB Monomax on the rear and they are really close in firmness to the Fox set at maximum firmness with the way it's setup now. When I adjust the Fox to soft, then they are quite a bit different than the rear, and closer to an OEM level of firmness. Eventually I'll have the same 2.0 resi adjustables in the rear as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom