Found car.....rust question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I know these are a pretty frequent question, but this seems to be the only questionable area with a car I'm looking to buy. Found an '06 LX470 the right color and by all indications is in good shape. Good service records, low wear (from what I can see), etc. The car is 450 miles away and has lived in PA or OH all of it's life. Being from snow country, I'm concerned about rust. I had the dealer send some pics and it doesn't look too bad to me, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

view

view

view

view

view

view

Some pics appear to have zero rust and others with visible rust appear to be superficial. The pic of the pan/skid plate on the bottom appears to have a coating on it. I know there are rust coatings, but does it appear to be a cover-up? Really interested in this car, so any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

IMG953454.jpg

IMG953456.jpg

IMG953457.jpg

IMG953458.jpg

IMG953459.jpg

Pass. They rust from the inside out. It is almost best to let them sell it to a buyer who is only looking at the mileage, interior and body panels. There are enough of those buyers that most dealers won't give a proper discount for the corrosion issues.

Welcome.

My limited experience with this suggests they are probably covering up existing rust, but maybe it's some kind of helpful coating? Dunno.

That isn't the worst rust I've ever seen for up north, but I definitely wouldn't go 450 miles out of my way to see that one, save your trip for a cleaner undercarriage.

From the poor quality pics I would pass. You are in North Carolina so you should be able to find one possibly in the South with a better undercarriage. I for sure wouldn't go 450 miles to look at that one. I would pass and keep my search open.

From the poor quality pics I would pass. You are in North Carolina so you should be able to find one possibly in the South with a better undercarriage. I for sure wouldn't go 450 miles to look at that one. I would pass and keep my search open.

I must have missed that. If you're in NC definitely don't buy that one, haha. I drove 4.5 hours from NC to TN to get my rust-free one.

Oh sorry Pyrenees I saw your location and for some reason that you were the OP. I apologize. Not sure where the OP is from.

I was assuming 450 miles not-south-of PA, haha.

OP, what state are you in?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in TN. Been looking for a good bit and this is the right combo of wear, miles, color and records. It's just been up north too long and it's been for sale for a while, so that's a red flag for me.

Oh man if you are in TN there should be lots and lots of Southern LC's for sale in the South. Just keep looking and you will find one. What combo is the right combo?

Been looking specifically for an LX in stone mica gray with gray interior. Been harder to find than expected....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom