Forum Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past week I just ventured out of the 60-series world and into the land of the 80-series. I picked up a Dark Emerald Green 1995 FZJ80 with 175K on the odometer and an OME 3" lift. It was previously a NJ and VA vehicle with some rust, but looks like it was well taken care of throughout most of it's life. it's got a little bit of water leakage issues, but nothing that hasn't been well documented by many others on MUD. The paint and clear coat is shot, but whatever, it's just paint. Most importantly, the engine sounds good, the trans shifts smoothly, and no codes to deal with up front.

Having said all that...within 72 hours, my wife has started referring to it as "her" truck. She even came home from work today and declared that she had given it a name..."Jolene"...because it of the green and because she has to watch out that it doesn't "take her man"!

Oh well....I'll get to work/mod on it and maybe even drive it once in a while. Looking forward to it and learning even more from the 80-series crowd.

6B7DDC10-324B-4B66-A637-56D6837492BD.jpeg

FE5C50BC-2297-42DD-8980-7BC9042AD24B.jpeg

C7FD5A9E-130A-43A9-9E05-E8BA9AFF1044.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahaha...you have to be careful your woman doesn’t take you “girl”!

Welcome to the 80...I think you’ll be happy with the change from the 60. How will you be using the truck? What mods are you planning?

Oh my. Miller High Life strikes again. Darn good beer. Congratulations, your wife will love the 80.

I like your seats. Welcome

Hahaha...you have to be careful your woman doesn’t take you “girl”!

Welcome to the 80...I think you’ll be happy with the change from the 60. How will you be using the truck? What mods are you planning?

I don't think "I" will be using the truck!

General use will be fairly mild compared to some on MUD...not a dedicated rock crawler. We have 2 younger kids that enjoy camping and the outdoors. It'll be the camping / canoe hauling / park exploring truck. First phase is the cleaning/flushing and base-lining of everything and taking care of those few 80 specific items. The rear pinion oil seal is shot and the oil pump gasket is starting to weep. Clean-up and re-coat the underside, address any rust, respray the paint & clear coat, new weather seals.

The list of mods so far is pretty standard...front bumper with winch mount, rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, rock sliders, low profile roof rack (I'll attempt to fabricate all these myself). Rear tailgate storage. My wife has already completely pulled the 3rd row seats and started measuring to design/build a drawer setup. I'll figure out something for onboard air. Pin 7 mod w/CDL switch. Add USB for modern electronics.

I'm torn on the sunroof. I don't care for them in general. I'm considering welding in a panel to delete the whole thing and never have to worry about leaks or broken motors.

Any other mod recommendations?

Welcome :) My wife declared the same thing on mine not longer after it came home. Once I got the bumpers, sliders and a few trail scratches she decided she didn't want it anymore. Your experience may vary.

She has already told me her preferences on bumper style, so I think my experience will vary! After I added the lift on my 60, she asked if I could do it to her Highlander...I don't think she'll lose interest any time soon.

Oh my. Miller High Life strikes again. Darn good beer. Congratulations, your wife will love the 80.

I was going to say "no"; MHL had nothing to do with it, but I guess it was what encouraged the looking and eventually provided the lubrication for the "why this is a good idea" conversation....so yeah...strikes again.

So now I have an '85 and a '95...I need to start keeping an eye out for a '65 & '75 to round out the collection.

I'd say based on your intended use your mod list may be more than you'll need (probably not more than you'll want though). If you don't plan to bash it off rocks or trees the armor isn't really necessary and just adds weight. If mine was going to spend most of it's time on relatively tame roads and trails I'd probably start with the roof rack and storage and then see if I really needed the other stuff. That's after base lining and repairs of course.

Welcome to the world of cup holders and lattes

We're a salty bunch because we know that the 80 is the pinnacle of offroad engineering in the US, but we just want cup holders like the 200 has

LOL ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom