Fly Rods - Interior Solutions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and prefer to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!

Last edited:
I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and prefer to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!
On the super cheap:
Fish bum friend of mine, who eventually became a guide, impressed me with his super simple set up in a first gen 4runner years ago. He had a shower curtain ring dangling from his rear view mirror up front. In the back of the car was an expandable shower curtain rod (twist to adjust type thing) about 6 inches from the headliner. Rods went over the curtain rod and rod tip slipped into the ring up front. Rods were off the floor, so no dogs stepped on them. And you didn't have to restring the rod if you moved fishing holes. Brilliant.

On the super cheap:
Fish bum friend of mine, who eventually became a guide, impressed me with his super simple set up in a first gen 4runner years ago. He had a shower curtain ring dangling from his rear view mirror up front. In the back of the car was an expandable shower curtain rod (twist to adjust type thing) about 6 inches from the headliner. Rods went over the curtain rod and rod tip slipped into the ring up front. Rods were off the floor, so no dogs stepped on them. And you didn't have to restring the rod if you moved fishing holes. Brilliant.
Thanks!

My $.02…as a former fly shop manager, I’ve seen more rods broken due to vehicular mishaps than anything else. I use to use (and still have in the garage) the original Rod Vault. Since I was fishing so much, it was nice to not have to break down and re-string rods all the time. Now, I prefer to keep them in rod-n-reel cases. Super stealthy, allows me to keep my reel on my rod, protects my rods BETTER than a Rod Vault, and adds about 5-7 minutes setup time. Plus, if I have to un-ass the vehicle for any reason, they’re easy to take with me.

One thing to consider is the long-term effect on your rod-especially your guides-from leaving them strung up in some sort of carrying system. Most people aren’t diligent about the use of ferrule wax on their rods. Seen more than a few “bros” come in with rods they can’t take apart after a season or two living in their Rod Vault…
Thanks; I agree on the "take apart" problem. The Forest Service roads I travel are too tight for the big rod tube carriers. I have one rod-reel case. I like it and will probably buy some more and just be happy protecting my rods.

The Texans are the best of the four.
I'm going to guess you're in Colorado so I'm also going to assume you're being sarcastic. In truth, and I know this makes me crusty and bitter, they're all obnoxious. The Utahrds are recognized as far and away the worst drivers, California the most self absorbed, Seattle people are just rude and Oregonians are fine (I moved here from Eugene 22 years ago).

I'm going to guess you're in Colorado so I'm also going to assume you're being sarcastic. In truth, and I know this makes me crusty and bitter, they're all obnoxious. The Utahrds are recognized as far and away the worst drivers, California the most self absorbed, Seattle people are just rude and Oregonians are fine (I moved here from Eugene 22 years ago).
No, Montana.

Thanks; I agree on the "take apart" problem. The Forest Service roads I travel are too tight for the big rod tube carriers. I have one rod-reel case. I like it and will probably buy some more and just be happy protecting my rods.
I searched and searched and searched for a case that would allow me to take my rod down to two pieces. I never found one. A 5’ or so long rod case would be ideal and allow for minimal breakdown.

If you ever find one, lemme know!!

You really favor the Texans? I'm in Bozeman a lot for work and they sure have a lot of 'em.
I have to admit that individually, they aren’t bad. Far more palatable than the other three.

But a drove of Tejans? Hell naw…

Tenkra fly rods are a very portable option if you're in and out a lot.
Not stepping on toes I hope, I have enjoyed mine.
A tenkara rod is on the list. But I would probably use it for very specific situations and more as an exercise in learning. The flies are really cool and though the look similar, they’re slightly different. The hackles are essentially “reversed”.

Super cool idea that I want to try on a small stream in RMNP.

I have to admit that individually, they aren’t bad. Far more palatable than the other three.

But a drove of Tejans? Hell naw…
Nailed it.

I honestly haven't met a Texan I didn't like in my travels there. But I don't need a bunch of them here for any reason.

2 boards with notches cut so they span fit just under the roof and the notch goes over the side edges. holes cut in the wood. Slide in the holes......

I searched and searched and searched for a case that would allow me to take my rod down to two pieces. I never found one. A 5’ or so long rod case would be ideal and allow for minimal breakdown.

If you ever find one, lemme know!!
This will hold a 10' rod in 2 pieces...

CABELAS

2 boards with notches cut so they span fit just under the roof and the notch goes over the side edges. holes cut in the wood. Slide in the holes......
Great idea - I can put them away for ski season and no damage to the rear compartment. Thanks! And, my apologies for not thanking you earlier.

Just a note on the Rod Vault (and similar) setups. Great protection from breaking, but they scuff the hell out of the rods. I made some rod covers out of nylon net jacket tubing that go over my rods before they go in the vault.

Have you seen the TRXSTLE rod carrier? Adjustable to whatever size you want. Can by mounted, or taken with you if you don't want to leave it in the vehicle. Might be just the ticket, but spendy.

Just a note on the Rod Vault (and similar) setups. Great protection from breaking, but they scuff the hell out of the rods. I made some rod covers out of nylon net jacket tubing that go over my rods before they go in the vault.

Have you seen the TRXSTLE rod carrier? Adjustable to whatever size you want. Can by mounted, or taken with you if you don't want to leave it in the vehicle. Might be just the ticket, but spendy.

I've never had any of my rods scuffed from the rod vault, and I leave a couple rigged for about 3 months at a time in the carrier. There may be a fuzz of noticeable wear on the guides on one of my older rods but definitely nothing that comes close to concerning me.

Hell, now they sell foam inserts to place around tour rods if you get paranoid about it.

I also looked into the TRXSTLE carrier, bit the info was limited at the time and I didn't like the thought of the liner on the inside. Aside from that it seemed to be a quality product.

I also treat my rods as tools, meant to be used, but on the same token I am extremely anal about them and take great care of them. Every winter I clean them from end to end with alcohol and search for any dings, cracks, or anything of concern.

I'm not a fan of broken rods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom