floor shift kit??? 3" shackles??

has anyone moved their colemn shift to the floor???? if so then hard was it???
im hopefully going to buy the kit tomorrow unless u guys give me a reason not to ...

and what do u guys think of me putting 3 " shackles on my cruiser??? what tires would comfortably sit under it if i did put the shackles on?

thanks guys...

Blake

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor

Column shift is retro cool, just a little finiky to drive. I would save your $$ and get the truck in good running order and drive it a bit before deciding on direction. You may find that you just don't like how tall first gear is, especially after you get some bigger rubber on there. Soooooo, you may just decide to go directly into a 4 speed, in which case you will have wasted time and $$ on the floorshift for the 3 speed, not to mention having cut a hole in your tranny hump that is not the same for the 4 speed.

As far as the shackles go, waste of $$ on 40 year old springs. The shackles will just push the springs down, not lift the vehicle. Start looking at lift kits in the FS section, Ebay, or the Cruiser vendors that hang out here.;)

Best

Mark

thanks mark .... i have driven a column shift before... my friend has a 64 mercedes benz with it and i found out that i really dislike it greatly... but u have a good point .. i prolly should see if i even like the 3 speed ...thanks

Blake

yeah man,
I have the three on the tree as well, mine's a 1970 cruiser, but i'm going to leave the three in there until i can get a 5 spd tranny...
We'll have to see tho, may totally hate the three spd, but it is retro!
besta luck

If you do have to change it to floorshift it's not a big deal. You need the trans. top cover, shifter, and small parts from a later model 3-speed.

When I did our '65 it was mostly because the linkage from the column had suffered too many previous 'fixes' to make it work without periodic jamming between gears.

I think SOR still sells a kit to convert from column to floor for something like $250.+ ....you don't need to buy that if you find a trans.

ya man a fre sells one for like 150 bucks....... i thought u just bolt it right on dont u???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom