Flipping differential - coast or drive side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. New member. I know this is nor the right place for the question ,but still can't post in the other sections of the forum.

I red a lot of threads in this forum but still confused, so I decided to ask:

Just theorically, because I can't logically get to the answers. What if you

1. Flip rear LP differential 180 degrees? It will run backwards as a HP but at which side ,coast or drive?

2. Run rear LP in front as a HP? It runs backward or forward, coast or drive side?

3. Run front HP reverse cut on rear? It runs backward/forward ,coast/drive side?

If you're talking about which side your pumpkin is going to be on after some axle swapping/mods, it needs to always be on the right side, both front and back That is the side that the transfer case outputs are on. Trying to change that around seems like far more trouble than it's worth, whatever your other goals may be.

My goal is to figure it out, how does the differential rotate in general according to the position and place it is mounted. Upside down position, front rear.

A rear diff, flipped upside down will push the truck backwards on the drive side of the gears, and likely won't get enough oil to the pinion bearings to last very long.

A rear diff, flipped upside down, placed in front will have the input shaft rotating the opposite direction should make the truck go backward as well. this is why the standard 8" high pinion front uses reverse cut gears.

Last edited:
If you flip the housing, dont flip the 3rd. If the studs are in the wrong orientation then weld in the holes and re-drill and tap. The front of the housing will be wrong as well, but ruff stuff makes a weld on armored diff cover for them. Think they weld on and can bolt off for inspection or whatever.

A rear diff, flipped upside down will push the truck backwards on the drive side of the gears, and likely won't get enough oil to the pinion bearings to last very long.

A rear diff, flipped upside down, placed in front will have the input shaft rotating the opposite direction should make the truck go backward as well. this is why the standard 8" high pinion front uses reverse cut gears.
This is one of the reasons I posted here. My logic is that by turning the rear diff upside down the cardan shaft still rotates the pinion in the same direction and as follows and the ring gear contacts with the drive side, not coast one. But in another thread there was a statement at the opposite /the rig moves backwards but the diff runs on the coast side/ which was supported by the other members which makes me confused.

According the rear diff flipped and put in front which moves the vehicle backwards - which side of the teeth it runs?

If its just clocked, i would imagine it going the same direction, but oiling will be the problem.
If you clock the differential 180 degrees from low pinion to upside down , the differential will not rotate the same direction. It will go in reverse. That is why you would flip the thirds upside down if you were trying to use hummer portal boxes. Take a pumpkin and try it out of the axle housing and you'll see what I mean.

If you clock the differential 180 degrees from low pinion to upside down , the differential will not rotate the same direction. It will go in reverse. That is why you would flip the thirds upside down if you were trying to use hummer portal boxes. Take a pumpkin and try it out of the axle housing and you'll see what I mean.
I think he means that the pinion still rotates the same direction and the contact with the ring teeth is still on the drive side. The vehicle moves backwards.

I think he means that the pinion still rotates the same direction and the contact with the ring teeth is still on the drive side. The vehicle moves backwards

Yeah but what are you trying to accomplish ?? I always ask so I have better perspective

I'm thinking about portal axles which run backwards /don't know how are they called/. But really just thinking for the moment.

Portals usually have an idler pair of gears to transmit from input to output which maintains direction of rotation
Same as a hilux transfer case front output power goes through an idler.

portal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom