This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sogncab

SILVER Star
Threads
Not running. Then the key to the ON position, CEL flashes.
Start the vehicle. No check engine light.

I do have some reoccurring codes.
- Catalytic system isn't within spec. I have a fix, may haven't implemented it yet.
- Water temp sensor isn't reading consistently. Either got a bad sensor when I replaced it, or I'm guessing a mystery ground issue.

When no codes are present, and the vehicle starts, and the CEL stops rapid blinking, there's no codes.

Searched, didn't come up with much.

What instigated the problem.....
Spent a few hours last night unmolesting the PO aftermarket headlight wiring job.
I did have some rapid disconnect/reconnect of the negative side of the battery while I was jockeying things around.

I also removed from the battery some sort of battery management widget that I did not install.

Dude who owned this thing before me didn't know the difference between a relay and his sister's titty, so I've been chasing many electrical sins....

Not running. Then the key to the ON position, CEL flashes.
Start the vehicle. No check engine light.

I do have some reoccurring codes.
- Catalytic system isn't within spec. I have a fix, may haven't implemented it yet.
- Water temp sensor isn't reading consistently. Either got a bad sensor when I replaced it, or I'm guessing a mystery ground issue.

When no codes are present, and the vehicle starts, and the CEL stops rapid blinking, there's no codes.

Searched, didn't come up with much.

What instigated the problem.....
Spent a few hours last night unmolesting the PO aftermarket headlight wiring job.
I did have some rapid disconnect/reconnect of the negative side of the battery while I was jockeying things around.

I also removed from the battery some sort of battery management widget that I did not install.

Dude who owned this thing before me didn't know the difference between a relay and his sister's titty, so I've been chasing many electrical sins....
What year?
What model?
What engine?

Or are you not really asking for help, just letting us know what you're doing.?

What year?
What model?
What engine?

Or are you not really asking for help, just letting us know what you're doing.?

1995 Toyota Landcruiser, FZJ80. 4.5 liter inline six engine.
Automatical transmission. Full time transfer case. Both are Toyota to the best of my knowledge.

Got a jumper in the diagnostic port?

Check your fusable links
I haven't dug super deep into this yet, but most of the posts make this out to be the cause of a no start. I'm starting, thing runs like a top.
I'm still going to tug on them and see if one is broken.

One looks suspect.... I don't have a multi meter here to check it for continuity. I'll have to run in the morning

By chance have you replaced the dash lights with LED bulbs ?

Left the battery unplugged over night.
Checked the link this morning with a meter, 1 ohm. So that's not the problem.

Hooked the battery back up. Cranked and wouldn't start.
Remembered I didn't plug the one side of the link back it.
Started, and no blinky CEL before starting

I severely dislike when a problem goes away, and I don't know why.

I've had this same exact issue a few years ago during a cross country trip. Mine did exactly what yours did in the video. The only thing that was being done different was the fact we had just completed 2 twelve hour driving days. Lots of elevation changes and lots of engine runtime. The best answer I found while on the trip was maybe something to do with all of the OBDII Readiness checks that it does. The 80 ran perfectly fine and eventually the CEL stopped rapidly flashing.

Have you ever owned a Windows based computer?

Rapidly flashing MIL indicates the ECM is in check mode. Turning the ignition off resets the ECM to normal mode. Read the diagnostic procedure in the FSM, starting on page EG-216. If you don't have a copy, download one for free from the Resources forum section, 80 series area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom