FJ80R Sahara Lockers in GXL?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone.

I am looking at putting a set of sahara lockers in my standard gxl but am clueless to know if my gxl has the wiring for the sahara lockers ready to go?

Has anyone done this swap before? If so do you have any advice?

Cheers,

Reece.

What are Sahara Lockers?

Wish I could help but have no clue as those are not US spec 80's so I have zero experience with them. I'm sure someone on here will be helpful, unlike me.

If those are the same as the OEM elockers in the US market, then YES it has been done many times.

Thanks mate,

Ill get to sourcing the diffs!

Some of the wiring already exists in the US models. Some should come with lockers if you are buying used equipment. Don't forget the locker control knob for the dashboard. I think there are writ ups somewhere on this forum.

In the conversions I have done I use relays to operate the lockers and dont worry about any factory wiring or the control box.

The diffs don't just hold up, the patterns are different, too.

I learned the hard way that the axle housing is different on the locked and unlocked variants. You'll need to source the locked variant's axle housings and matching hogs heads (front and rear). If you can source them from a salvage vehicle then the locker will likely already be installed. I believe the wiring harness for locked and unlocked is identical - but I don't know for certain. You may be better off going with air lockers unless you can find a readily available locked GXL from which to pull parts.

I learned the hard way that the axle housing is different on the locked and unlocked variants. You'll need to source the locked variant's axle housings and matching hogs heads (front and rear). If you can source them from a salvage vehicle then the locker will likely already be installed. I believe the wiring harness for locked and unlocked is identical - but I don't know for certain. You may be better off going with air lockers unless you can find a readily available locked GXL from which to pull parts.

Depends on the truck. A lot of the Toyotas don't include the locker harness in the rear of the tub, but a good amount of the unlocked Lexus trucks do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom