FJ62 vacuum diaphragm kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there anywhere to buy a rebuild kit for the vacuum diaphragm for the 4wd? I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with mine. When the weather is nice again, I'm going to get out there and test it right, but it's just real slow (like hit the button and wait 5-10 mins slow) to engage. I have vacuum at the lines, just want to remove it and test it before I condemn it for good.

I would test it with a mighty-vac, and see if the linkages need some lube. The fact that it engages at all might mean that the diaphragm is ok, but who knows.

Thanks, that was my next step before I bought anything. I'm just trying find if there's any rebuild kits out there just in case! Lol

There is a link in the 60's series FAQ for The fj62 4wd vacuum solenoid fix for cheap that will fix your woes, go ahead and do both, one easy fix it was.Works perfect now,I forgot I even did this til I saw your post.

The solenoid a aren't my issue, it's the diaphragm on the transfercase that I think is giving me grief. I checked the solenoids on the firewall for vacuum switching when the button is in 2wd and then checked again when it was in 4wd. The solenoids are working as they should, it's just not moving the transfer case into 4wd. I'm going to check all my vacuum lines down to the transfer case and also apply vacuum separate of the truck to see what all is and isn't working.

I had same issue in my 62 when purchased from PO, the diaphragm on TC would not move after I fixed the solenoid. I put a vac tester on it and applied vac. After a few attempts, I heard the piston moving, was just stuck and needed to be work thru and couple times, never an issue since, engages promptly.

I had same issue in my 62 when purchased from PO, the diaphragm on TC would not move after I fixed the solenoid. I put a vac tester on it and applied vac. After a few attempts, I heard the piston moving, was just stuck and needed to be work thru and couple times, never an issue since, engages promptly.

So yours wouldn't move at all? Mine does eventually go into 4wd, but just takes forever and I'm just afraid that one day, it will just stop activating and I'll be SOL.

Ok, so I just did a bunch of checking. I thought I was having a solenoid problem after all, so I had a new one laying around and it started working immediately after I installed it. Shut it off for a few minutes while doing other things and tried it again and it wouldn't go into 4wd again for several minutes. So I started checking for vacuum everywhere. As soon as I push the button, I have vacuum into and out of the vsv on the firewall going to the 4wd actuator. I checked for vacuum at every hardline/soft line junction and I have it everywhere EXCEPT where the hard line adapts up to the larger rubber hose underneath. Why would I not be getting vacuum through that hard line? Is there any sort of check valve in there or is it supposed to be straight through, no restrictions? Once it's in 4wd, it stays and doesn't have an issue until I take it out of 4wd and let it stay out for a while.

NOTE; I am just checking for vacuum on the end of my finger, no vacuum gauge. I don't have one at home, didn't think to bring it from work.

I can get you specs from FSM in am. May just be blocked hard line. Bypass with piece of tubing and check or the manual type vacuum guage and apply.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's what I would have first thought with your issue. I am sure some moisture gets in there and crud.

Glad you got it working.

Marc

Me too! It works pretty much immediately now, and I'm glad because I've been in some situations lately that have warranted 4wd and I haven't had it right then. I entered a 3 day overland rally (Time, Speed, Distance race) for this June and I'm trying to get all my nagging issues taken care of so there's less of a concern then. Onto my next issue, leaky transfer case/transmission. Not sure which one is leaking. I'm a little concerned because I replaced the seal between the 2 cases about a year and a half ago and I'm scared the tranny fluid is leaking into the transfer case this time...not looking forward to that.

In the US, this would be a bad idea - all FJ62s are automatics! :notworthy:

Hi there. Old thread i know, but I have the exact same issue. Takes about 5 mins for 4wd to engage once I’ve pressed the button. What was your fix in the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom