FJ62 Sputters out when given gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Recently rescued an FJ62 from a slow death in a friend's yard. Hasn't run in about 7 years but PO said ran when parked. So far, I have changed coolant, oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump (dropped and cleaned tank) and battery. Finally got her to turn and idle (surprisingly quite nicely, also this is my first real project car so I was pretty damn proud of even getting that much accomplished!). The car starts and idles every time at just under 1000RPM however, upon introducing gas (putting the pedal down and revving her up) she will run up to about 1500-2000 then sputter out and die. It almost feels like its flooded, cause it usually takes a few mins to clear out before it will start again. Can this happen with fuel injection though?

I have a bunch of thoughts and I know many things can cause this. I can't find any obvious vacuum leaks but I suppose that doesn't mean they aren't there. I have a shade tree mechanic buddy that thinks I should start with replacing the air flow meter (which I'm happy to do if I could find one in stock anywhere other than ebay). I am pretty confident with the fuel pressure but I haven't actually tested it so planning on doing that.

My questions are, where do I start? What should I fix/check/rule out first and what is the best order to go about diagnosing? What else should I be looking for outside of fuel pressure/vacuum leak/air flow meter? What's the best way to test for vacuum leaks? Is there a way to tell if it's running too rich/too lean?

I’ll follow along here. I have issues that I’m working through myself. I assume you have the FSM? Free here on mud in PDF if you don’t.
6E535A75-35F3-4742-9140-ADFBD9730F5C.jpeg

Hi, It should idle at about 650. Check for vacuum leaks ,probably worn through hoses. Look for simple things first. Mike

check the EGR first, they can jam open on carbon, and cause major troubleshooting probs.

Any gas smell in engine bay? FPR leaks can be gravestones for Toys. Tightning screw on it only lasts a day, and then worse leak. Its for factory setting.

Big whooshing when opening tank means charcoal cannister prob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom