fj62 split case parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any other options besides the TSM unit most seem to be retailing? They have a supply chain issue, most retailers appear to just drop ship them, and theres a lead time that is messin' me up.

There's the OEM drum for 40 series.

TSM disc brake or the drum found on rare split-case 4x and 6x models around the globe. The rear bearing retainer is the hard part to track down, the output shaft, backing plate, hardware, shoes and drum are readily available.

95D81326-9C47-4E8C-A108-54BB32658708.jpeg

the drum found on rare split-case 4x and 6x models around the globe.

Was the hand brake available on any 60 series? Thought these were only on the 8/80+ FJ45 & HJ47, long wheel base trucks? Used parts are probably most readily available in Australia. Believe aftermarket drums are available. Is the rear output shaft still available OEM or is that aftermarket as well?

Was the hand brake available on any 60 series? Thought these were only on the 8/80+ FJ45 & HJ47, long wheel base trucks? Used parts are probably most readily available in Australia. Believe aftermarket drums are available. Is the rear output shaft still available OEM or is that aftermarket as well?

No.

Joint Fuji output shafts and drums are available

Yes, in Japan on the FJ60V-KCHQ4 and FJ61V-KCH4. Both are IV4 builds, aka ‘Fier Truck’. When they switched to the FJ62 for IV4 in 1985, it went to the traditional backing plate bell-crank actuated park brake. There are some Gen market FJ60's that show it too (Venezuela for example)

Rear output shaft and drum are Joint Fuji, made in Japan

Shaft is part# TCSHFT3623160031, not on CruiserTeq yet as it’s a pretty low volume shaft, I bet we sell less than a dozen a year.

#false. See above.

Last edited:
this one is going into a 1978 FJ45 :)

image.jpg

Comparison with standard output shaft.

image.jpg

Yes, in Japan on the FJ60V-KCHQ4 and FJ61V-KCH4. Both are IV4 builds, aka ‘Fier Truck’. When they switched to the FJ62 for IV4 in 1985, it went to the traditional backing plate bell-crank actuated park brake.

Rear output shaft and drum are Joint Fuji, made in Japan

So the rear tail shaft is 19 spline? I have number of transmissions with spline transfer cases attached and never pulled the rear flange or drum to count them. Years ago was given a new rear drum for the back of a transfer that has 16 splines. Guessing maybe for a 8/80+ one piece case attached to the three speed.

So the rear tail shaft is 19 spline? I have number of transmissions with spline transfer cases attached and never pulled the rear flange or drum to count them. Years ago was given a new rear drum for the back of a transfer that has 16 splines. Guessing maybe for a 8/80+ one piece case attached to the three speed.

Generally speaking, the split-case is 19 spline, park brake or standard flange. Late model 1-pc is 27 spline front. Early 1-pc is 10-spline.

That drum you have would be perhaps an 80+ 1-pc case?

Generally speaking, the split-case is 19 spline, park brake or standard flange. Late model 1-pc is 16 spline. Early 1-pc is 10-spline.

That drum you have would be 74-80

I show 1/74-7/80 using the same brake drum. This a 11/74 transfer case. That is not a sixteen spline tailshaft.
20221012_163600.jpg
20221012_163318.jpg

Little I checked the 8/80-10/82 one piece transfer case had the hand brake on the rear axle. 1/78-7/80 diff went to fine spline flange but Amayama only shows one drum for the one piece case once it changed to a four speed in the US.

The reason it was given to me was the old timer who rebuilt transfer cases couldn't figure out what it fit. Not sure he ever dealt with the hand brake on the split case. He past away years ago and wasn't rebuilding case for years before that.

Ah yes... you're absolutely right, 74-80 stayed 10 spline. I'm fuzzy on the 16 spline. I'm in Mexico so unfortunately not near the shop to look at parts, that would make this really simple. Lemme think on that for a min. The 1pc case definitely saw use globally after 1980 with the park brake. 78 the front went to 27 spl, perhaps your 16 spline is the odd ball 34mm 1pc case rear with park brake? I'd have to be at a computer and/or the shop to quickly resolve. Let me stew on that one.

Can you snap a pic of your 16 spline? Assuming it has the 4spd 11mm driveshaft pattern?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the TSM kit (unlike the OEM drum setup) can be installed on a non-parking brake case without necessitating replacement of the output shaft, right?

I'm not finding a 3F/1pc t-case that had the tcase mounted park brake in the EPC. They used a standard flange on the back of the 1pc. But the shaft on that model is the same 10spl as the 74-80. Perhaps there is a 34mm 1pc case with the PB and it used 16?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the TSM kit (unlike the OEM drum setup) can be installed on a non-parking brake case without necessitating replacement of the output shaft, right?

Correct

Can you snap a pic of your 16 spline? Assuming it has the 4spd 11mm driveshaft pattern?

It's at another location. I will get a picture, better yet I'll grab it. Believe it has the 11MM studs.

I'm not finding a 3F/1pc t-case that had the tcase mounted park brake in the EPC. They used a standard flange on the back of the 1pc. But the shaft on that model is the same 10spl as the 74-80. Perhaps there is a 34mm 1pc case with the PB and it used 16?

I do not have access to any world market parts book only what I find online. I am aware of the late three speed transfer case used 8/80-10-82 but like you can't one with a transfer with a hand brake. Think any *J4X long wheel that might have a tyree speed might have used this drum? Never dealt with any one piece transfer with a 34MM idler shaft. Think the ones here in the US sold as replacements would use a hand brake. Was also wondering if it was a JDM only special part or some special ordered vehicle for some other market. Guess if nothing else it's a novelty item and has four studs I could use else where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom