FJ62 Rear Diff leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to wrenching in general and super new to my Cruiser. I am the 3rd owner. I found it for what I thought was a steal and figured it would be a good truck to learn on. Unfortunately, I think the first two projects that need to be done seem to be above the basic level I have right now. The rear diff seems to be leaking (see attached) and it looks like it is the front part. My Toyota manual says I need a bunch of Special Service tools (SST) to get the oil slip and oil ring out and replaced. The tools look to be ~$200-250 to buy. I can't imagine I will have to replace these that often, as this is the first time in 30 years this tank of a car has needed this.

So my question is: can I replace these on my own in the driveway without the SSTs? or is it worth it to just buy the tools? or pay the mechanic (who says it is 4 hours work @$115/hour)? If anyone is in the Houston area and wants to come help me wrench for fun... ;)

IMG_20160409_130057468.jpg

I'll make some assumptions and tell you what I would do.

I assume you have >150k miles and gear lube change history is not known.

Your pinion seal is bad. In and of itself, that isn't so bad, but in almost all cases, it means the pinion bearing has worn, lost pre-load and is on the way out too. To fix that is a big deal because the diff needs to be rebuilt.

What I would do is use this to learn about your rear axle. Pull the axle shafts, and then drop the differential. Then take the differential (often called the 3rd member in Toyota speak), to a specialty diff shop and have them rebuild it. Then re-install everything. While it's out, you can rebuild your brakes, free the bellcranks, replace the brake wheel cylinders and get the drums machined to a new surface. I would also replace the axle bearings which ride pressed into the outer axle tube. Once you do all of this-you'll have a basically new rear axle that will last as long as you own the cruiser.

You'll need to figure out C-clips and a few other tricks, but it's basically easy stuff. Rebuilding the differential takes a bunch of specialty tools-so farm that out to a pro. If you have local cruiserhead friends, they have done this and will be willing to help.

You can send the 3rd member to "Zuk" at Toyota Gear Installs
He has many satisfied customers right on this site.

Spend some time on the Toyota Gear Installs site-you'll see quickly why it's worth paying a pro to rebuild the diff itself.

I agree and disagree with what Cruiserdrew has said here.

First off you ought to just throw a pinion seal on it, it's whats leaking at the moment, your pinion bearing wear could be an issue but if it was me I would be very quick to try a $10-15 seal before a full on rebuild.

That being said it takes a special "feel" for it when you go back to tighten it back up. The SSTs sound like they would be a waste of money for someone like you. It can be done without special tools.

Your mechanic will most likely skip the special tools as well. But that being said $115 an hour is way high, and 4 hrs seems high as well. I'd recommend finding a guy in your local cruiser club, check the clubhouse tab at the top of the page. I think it's Lone Star Land Cruiser of Houston. I'm sure they have a wrench day every once and a while, shouldn't take more 30mins to an hour with someone who knows what they are doing.

That being said, reading through ZUK's page is always good info. I think I've read through every one of those links, great stuff. Learned a lot from his website. and if you do need to rebuild and want to pay to ship it, he's THA GUY....

Good luck

Thanks guys! (Amazing how quick replies came!) I am thinking I will try the pinion seal first. If it doesn't then I will pull it all apart. What's the worst I can do? Lol. Just end up paying a pro to do it if I mess it up too bad. I am gonna wait for the next wrenching day as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom