FJ62 Ignition Problem - Now I'm spending wildly... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Did a few searches and did a lot of reading. Couldn't find anything that seemed to be similar to the problem I'm experiencing.

The problem:
My 1988 FJ62 was running great, everything was fine on this daily driver. I go to start the car up and it turns over but it doesn't start. I try again and it starts right up. Strange, since it always starts on the first try.

A few days later, I get in to start it. The car turns over but I can't get the engine started. Try and try again, it never wants to start. Pulling the main wire off the Ignition and cranking the engine results in no spark.

What I did to try to fix the problem:
  • Checked all the fuses.
  • Checked ignition relay
  • Checked the main relay
  • Replaced the ECU (expensive)
  • Replaced the Ignition Coil and Igniter (expensive)
  • Checked Ohms on Distributor plug (ok)
  • Checked resistance on the spark plug wires and main wire
  • Checked the air gap on the two sensors(?) inside the distributor (ok)
My next step is to replace the distributor as it was suggested that I might have a bad pick-up unit inside. However, the two checks I did (air gap and plug check for ohms) looked okay.

Any other ideas? I've been working on this for a couple weeks, and my only alternative now is to keep throwing more parts at it and cross my fingers.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have!

-Ted

Trial and error sucks but unfortunetely sometimes it is the only way. Usually if you get no spark it is a bad coil but I see you already changed that. Stupid question, but did you try changing the wires? Might be a damaged or defective wire. After all you have done, I really can't thimk of much else. If you do decide to change the dizzy and want to go with a used one let me know. Maybe I can save you some money there.

I'm sure more people will chime in with a lot more experiance than me.

Good Luck

isn't there a switch in the trany/shifter that can cause the proplem your having?

sorry been awhile sense I messed with the 62

Landpimp said:
isn't there a switch in the trany/shifter that can cause the proplem your having?

sorry been awhile sense I messed with the 62

you are right on the passenger side of the tranny is the nuetral safety switch housing. but that failing would result in no cranking (the starter would not engage). let me go look at my wiring diagrams

from what i see the nuetral safety switch would not effect your no spark problem

Ah, I knew I forgot something.

Yes, I'm getting a trouble code of 51 consistently, even after resetting the ECU. However, I believe this problem is unrelated to the starting issue. I narrowed the trouble code to a possible problem with the Air conditining amplifier. One of the pins on the plug that goes to the amplifier does not have 12v going to it when the key is moved to the start position.

Not sure why that would cause a problem with the car not starting.

Also, I did try wiggling the handle, trying to start the car in neutral, and basically testing that neutral start switch. But, like you said, it still turns over fine. Just won't start. I also tried changing the wire to see if that might be the problem.

Thanks for the help so far!

code 51 can be mutible things i just went through all of this.it is not your ac why your 51 code is going off more than likely.i know that dont help but i will do some research myself to see if i can help

check the fuse that controls your spark to see if your getting power through it if you have not already,also do the same with the efi fuse just for the hell of it

Two things to check are:
1.Fuel Pressure (cloged filter, cloged injectors).
2. Oil Pressure (Most FI engines (Not sure on 3F) have a spark cutout until engine reaches full oil pressure. So check your sender for proper resistance range.

It sucks to swap out everything and still not have it run correctly.

Dynosoar

Last edited:
I cant remember correctly but....Does the 3fe like the 80series also have an EFI fuse? if so, blowing that will cause no spark. I had it happen on my 80. Are you getting a check engine light?

yes it does, but its not normaly the problem it is in the 80's but its for sure worth a look at!

lowtideride said:
I cant remember correctly but....Does the 3fe like the 80series also have an EFI fuse? if so, blowing that will cause no spark. I had it happen on my 80. Are you getting a check engine light?

Yes, EFI fuse looks good. In fact, all fuses I could get my hands on test fine, and just in case, I tried switching out the fuse for another.

I have not checked fuel or oil pressure - I don't see anywhere on the 3FE schematic that those systems are connected to the ignition system. I'll check them out anyway when I get home.

I also checked to ensure that the coil is getting power. No problems there.

One thing I'm considering is to replace the distributor. Does that seem wise, or am I going off the deep end replacing parts?

-T

I had the same thing happen to my '88 62. I replaced the coil, wires, ignitor (your right expensive) and then I replaced my distributor and now it runs great!! It was a bad pick up even though all the tests we did came out okay! good luck.

the EFI fuse is not really a typical looking fuse, it looks more like a circut breaker, I forget on the 62 where is located, but its not in the fusepanel on the dash.

I am sure a dizzy could be bad, but in the 14 cruisers I have had(including 2 fj62's with 250K+) I have not had a single dizzy issue.....

TedMorris said:
Yes, EFI fuse looks good. In fact, all fuses I could get my hands on test fine, and just in case, I tried switching out the fuse for another.

I have not checked fuel or oil pressure - I don't see anywhere on the 3FE schematic that those systems are connected to the ignition system. I'll check them out anyway when I get home.

One thing I'm considering is to replace the distributor. Does that seem wise, or am I going off the deep end replacing parts?

-T

TedMorris said:

-T

Again this is on the 80 but are you getting a check engine light at start up? if not there is a good chance that the efi relay is blown.

not the same fuse I am talking about. like i said, it looks more like a circut braker/flasher relay

may be called EFI main relay not fuse

cruiser88 said:
the 62 efi fuse is under the dash with the rest its the 15 amp fuse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom