Fj62 grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, was hoping someone would have an idea on what might be causing a grinding sound (tranny or t case by the sound of it) only while driving. Happens intermittently, but when it does happen, most of the time I hear a clicking sound behind the dashboard. Could be related or just coincidence. I have already replaced the solenoid that controls the high 4 wheel drive (vacuum operated) but it didn't seem to help. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Try locking the hubs, and if it's accidentally going into 4WD, it won't grind (as the parts will be spinning at the same speed). If it happens frequently, remove and plug the vacuum supply lines to the solenoids and see if it stops the grinding (if not the clicking).

Try locking the hubs, and if it's accidentally going into 4WD, it won't grind (as the parts will be spinning at the same speed). If it happens frequently, remove and plug the vacuum supply lines to the solenoids and see if it stops the grinding (if not the clicking).
Thanks a lot I didn't even think of that but it makes sense. I'll give it a try when I can.

Yep mine got annoying loud as well/no grinding though. Could be that the connection at the transfer case is so loos that
its skipping/grinding. Easy check to climb under and test. Good luck!

Yep mine got annoying loud as well/no grinding though. Could be that the connection at the transfer case is so loos that
its skipping/grinding. Easy check to climb under and test. Good luck!
That could be the case as well. You just mean the round threaded piece at the end of the cable that screws to the t case right?

Hello, was hoping someone would have an idea on what might be causing a grinding sound (tranny or t case by the sound of it) only while driving. Happens intermittently, but when it does happen, most of the time I hear a clicking sound behind the dashboard. Could be related or just coincidence. I have already replaced the solenoid that controls the high 4 wheel drive (vacuum operated) but it didn't seem to help. I'd appreciate any ideas.
Mine used to click behind the dash. it was all the time so i removed the dash and squirted the silicone lubricant on the cable a little at a time for about an hour (let it soak and then hit it again etc etc) and it stopped it. until single digits, it doesn't like that. As far as the grinding it might be worth checking your hub engagement if its not all the way unlocked it could grind on the axle and make a pretty bad grinding noise

Mine used to click behind the dash. it was all the time so i removed the dash and squirted the silicone lubricant on the cable a little at a time for about an hour (let it soak and then hit it again etc etc) and it stopped it. until single digits, it doesn't like that. As far as the grinding it might be worth checking your hub engagement if its not all the way unlocked it could grind on the axle and make a pretty bad grinding noise
Ya that's possible too I guess. If it were the hub you'd think it would be a constant grinding rather than just sometimes, but I guess it could just barely be touching.

Ya that's possible too I guess. If it were the hub you'd think it would be a constant grinding rather than just sometimes, but I guess it could just barely be touching.
When it happened to me it was when i let off the gas, at speed. under load or acceleration it was good once i let off the gas it would grind. Mine was actually a bad hub while in 4x4 that did it. But if there is one that is partially engaging it would make the same noise (ONLY THE CASE IF WHAT STEVE H SAYS IS HAPPENING, IS HAPPENING) if the tc isnt engaged a bad hub wouldnt present itself

When it happened to me it was when i let off the gas, at speed. under load or acceleration it was good once i let off the gas it would grind. Mine was actually a bad hub while in 4x4 that did it. But if there is one that is partially engaging it would make the same noise (ONLY THE CASE IF WHAT STEVE H SAYS IS HAPPENING, IS HAPPENING) if the tc isnt engaged a bad hub wouldnt present itself
I was driving in 2wd at the time. But for me it usually happens under acceleration, and will only stop grinding when the vehicle comes to a full stop. I have no idea what it could be.

Update on the cruiser, in case anyone else was interested. I'm installing new front wheel bearings to see if that may be the solution to the grinding noise. A fellow cruiserhead I was speaking with said he had a similar problem and it was caused by a rough wheel bearing. He said it would only happen sometimes. (He suspected the bearing would grind when it heated up from friction, or when a rough spot was contacting the race) seems like this could be the case for me, because the bearings seem to be a little less than perfect .

Noisy wheel bearings usually show obvious distress on the surface of the rollers. Post pix of the bearings when you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom