Builds fj62 gets a lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoping to get it back friday finally! the guys has gone above fixing a bunch of things but it’s taken a while. i sure miss it.

just sourcing a couple light covers etc but it should be back soon!

5B403CB9-2DA6-423D-A881-863BA6FB7FFC.jpeg

we’ll have to wait for the grille reveal though. i haven’t even seen it!

body looks great. my guy did an awesome job once again. better than before!!

here’s the grille. only trouble is that the cross bar on my bumper hides the toyota symbol a bit.

the chrome is pretty close but there’s is a slight colour difference between plastic and metal

C77074ED-94FF-4C20-BD08-B052843DE763.jpeg

also now that i have it back maybe i can get my new turbo on before it gets too cold. i will get my jw speaker lights on soon too. i need those for sure this winter.

we’re supposed to get 30-40 cm of snow over the next few days. it was +17C two days ago. winter is coming fast this year!!

Last edited:
just had a woolwax undercarriage bath today. trying to prevent rust creapage now that the body is redone. i also have a friend who does paint protection film. going to have him do some work next week to help prevent gravel rash that tends to develop. little things to try to keep it clean in these canadian winters!!

my friend just did some paint protection film around the bottom and front of the hood. such a great job hopefully that’ll help with a little of the road rash i get. it’s so well done that i can’t see it unless it’s in the right light. so no pictures at present as it won’t show anything.

still waiting on a side marker light though.

Last edited:
this has been sitting on my floor for far too long! time to get it in
3ABCABFC-4F32-4A6E-8EF5-4FFA7499D1BD.jpeg

i also took out a bunch of old wiring (my IPF harness) that i don’t need now that i’ve upgraded to jw speaker lights
AE686E4E-75E2-48C1-903B-5F0B9226C46F.jpeg

then out comes the intercooler piping
A6CCD745-CC87-4258-BE72-BA20F494BC76.jpeg

then turbo out. i don’t think it would be possible without taking the manifold off
E96D1783-C813-4816-ACF6-B9A022366565.jpeg
07EC175E-3382-4579-8D29-516F5A9A4266.jpeg

turbo in and everything is hooked up. now i’m trying to squeeze a @torfab air box in. its a tight fit and it won’t line up with my snorkel tube so i’ll have to cut out a bit of my fender so the tube goes straight into the box. ill leave the back panel completely off for now as time is of the essence and i won’t have time to do all that now.
42EB968C-2D3C-4ABE-AAD4-6EB1F7A1D649.jpeg

cleaned up the intercooling piping a bit too

66B7C062-8D2B-46F1-AE62-56B139021ED5.jpeg

C085B4F1-A413-4ECD-91EE-1670DF5CF69B.jpeg

1DED214A-7DCC-4B6F-B10B-F9BC6662CBF6.jpeg

i took your advice and purchased an exhaust cut out that i’ll mount on the side of the box. it will be left open all times unless for water crossings so it’ll breath with two 2.5 inch holes. i won’t hook up the snorkel until that is done. for now like i said i have the whole back off the box to let lots of air in. it’s just not water crossing ready but that’s ok. it’s all frozen up here right now anyway

Last edited:
got it mostly back together but there is some interference with one pipe so i’ll have to try and fav something up tomorrow.
E6735092-7D0E-47A5-ACE7-83696E1E546C.jpeg

ill also have to revisit my arb compressor mount

running well. i used to have to push it hard in 5th to see 15lbs. easily hits 17 with regular pedal. i haven’t tuned anything yet so there’s room to move up on fuel now but just happy to drive it the way it is right now. it’s got good pep from the fuel tune i have but i was just getting hot on long hills with a trailer so that should be better even as it is.

it got cold here. -27C. getting a coffee in the drive through my drivers window won’t go back up. all the other windows and lock work just not drivers. it’s going to be a cold drive home today before i can look into it!!

Last edited:
managed to jump the window motor off the fuse block. window is up. now i just have to remember to not do that again until i can get it properly fixed. it was a cold drive home though. 35 km highway drive to get home to my tools. . man my wife laughed when i walked in!!

so quick update on my turbo experience. it boosts way faster than it did before. i can’t say it’s a ton more power because i didn’t change any fuel settings but the power is so much smoother coming on and it doesn’t seem like the engine is struggling to get going as much as it did before. it’s also been -30C here so i havent wanted to flog it yet for fear of breaking something. overall though i’m very happy with how smooth it is!

i keep popping my turbo piping. what i have is a temporary fix. i need to get my A/C line moved then i can bend a new proper pipe.

in the mean time is it hard on the turbo if the line pops and i just drive it gently until i get home to fix it? it would vent pressure to atmosphere and essentially run as a N/A motor. yes it’s gutless and blows some smoke but my egts stay safe. it’s so much easier to fix it in a dry lit garage than at -30 on the road in the dark!

hopefully this will only be a temporary issue. ill take it to an A/C shop tomorrow if i can to plan the line change.

i went back to my old arb compressor bracket.

ill have to make something up for the intercooler pump later. in the new year i’m going to have one of my a/c lines rerouted as it’s in the way of my piping and air box.
image.jpg

i also came up with a very cheap simple solution to preventing my turbo hoses from popping off.

image.jpg

zip tie around the two clamp bolts. yes it’s temporary but it works

here’s a box of beauty! a friend got these for me for $20 a piece. dealer wants $70 a piece!!! that’s just stupid!!
F16B242F-C6F5-432D-9363-99B439DEC06F.jpeg

i also finally got a fire extinguished mounted with a wits end (@NLXTACY ) seat bracket mount. i had a short a couple weeks ago so figured i’ve had this sitting on my bench for a couple years. it’s not doing much good there! thankfully i didn’t have a fire but i could have!!

28B7483F-F336-4D42-9C48-55BD66397750.jpeg

for now it’s just the crappy plastic mount the bottle is strapped to. any suggestions for a more rattle free robust solution?

Last edited:
also swapped my fog light carling switch to a rear defrost switch. having a little trouble with getting both the switch bulbs working but i think i’ll be able to get it with a bit more work. getting too tired tonight. the switch fits perfectly and looks so much better. ill be putting a second switch in for rear lights eventually
0D12C45B-606A-4D6D-BDA6-0925A9E2EF7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I was about to order some new OEM hatch struts from Toyota Parts Direct but maybe LST is an option. There are a million versions though. If I tell them it's for a BJ60 will they know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom