FJ62 Fusible Link Fuse Equivalents? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in the process of conducting open-heart surgery on my 3FE wiring harness and one of the things I want to change while I've got it opened up is to replace the 30+ y/o fusible links with something more modern. I've found a couple potential battery mounted power distribution boxes that might serve but before I can make an informed choice, I need to know what the FJ62 fusible link wires equate to in amps?

Can anyone help me or at least point me in the right direction?

According to the FSM, the FJ62 has the following fusible links:

EFI (Yellow) .85R
Headlights (Red) .5G
Ignition, AM1 (Black) .5G
Ignition, AM2 (Black/Green) .5G
Alternator (White) 1.25B
***(I'm not sure what the "R", "G", and "B" signify... any ideas?)

According to Coolerman, the closest metric (mm2) fusible link equivalents are as follows:

.5mm fusible link = 20ga fusible link
.85 mm fusible link = 18ga fusible link
1.0mm fusible link = 16ga fusible link
1.25mm fusible link = 16ga fusible link
2.0mm fusible link = 14 ga fusible link

For my purposes, I need to figure out the appropriate amp rating for each gauge of fusible link wire in order to swap them with replaceable fuses like this:

61o8JC8oPeL._SY355_.jpg

I'm sure there's an equation for this... anyone????

Not sure but I thought I saw amp ratings in the wiring schematics, but I had this saved for some reason....

vhyfxe.jpg

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Since I no longer have my original FJ62 fusible links, would anyone care to confirm the colors of the factory wires?

I believe the headlight and two ignition fusible links were red, while the yellow EFI wire was green. That would be 40A and 50A, according to your chart. Also, I think I remember the alternator wire being black so that would be 80A. ...seems low to me for an alternator.

Anyway, can anyone confirm???

Thanks again!

Did ever get an answer to this? Did you install the fuses? Are they working?

I redid my entire set of fusible links over a year ago. Got all the parts from Waytek. Those amp ratings were what I used. I mounted the blocks on a thin piece of scrap plexiglas I scrounged from a local sign shop. The red cable coming to the top is direct from the battery, and the respective feeds come off the bottom. I included an extra breaker to use for anything I add. Right now, it just powers a always on lighter plug.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Do you remember what you bought from Waytek? Looks very clean.

While I ended up with virtually a lifetime supply of the fuses since they had order minimums of each item, it was cheaper than buying individually at the local auto supply.

Thanks for posting that.
Can you tell if the fuse has blown?

Like the fusible link hiding the break under the insulation, I don't believe you can. Other than using a meter on the downline post of a particular fuse, I don't think there is an alternative to determining if the fuse is blown. It is delayed, versus an instant blow.

I'm in the process of conducting open-heart surgery on my 3FE wiring harness and one of the things I want to change while I've got it opened up is to replace the 30+ y/o fusible links with something more modern. I've found a couple potential battery mounted power distribution boxes that might serve but before I can make an informed choice, I need to know what the FJ62 fusible link wires equate to in amps?

Can anyone help me or at least point me in the right direction?

According to the FSM, the FJ62 has the following fusible links:

EFI (Yellow) .85R
Headlights (Red) .5G
Ignition, AM1 (Black) .5G
Ignition, AM2 (Black/Green) .5G
Alternator (White) 1.25B

***(I'm not sure what the "R", "G", and "B" signify... any ideas?)

According to Coolerman, the closest metric (mm2) fusible link equivalents are as follows:

.5mm fusible link = 20ga fusible link
.85 mm fusible link = 18ga fusible link
1.0mm fusible link = 16ga fusible link
1.25mm fusible link = 16ga fusible link
2.0mm fusible link = 14 ga fusible link

For my purposes, I need to figure out the appropriate amp rating for each gauge of fusible link wire in order to swap them with replaceable fuses like this:

View attachment 1462789

I'm sure there's an equation for this... anyone????
I am bringing this back up again as I had someone ask me a question about the 1980 Toyota mini-truck fusible links that got me to looking again.

For the FJ60/62, the R,G,B after the fusible link wire size in mm sq are the colors of the fusible link wire Toyota used. I have taken apart many of these old links and can verify that R is indeed RED, G is indeed GREEN and B is indeed BLACK. These colors do NOT match currently available American aftermarket fusible link wire. You must use the SIZE in mm sq to get the closest match as was posted above.

Toyota use for example a Red .85 mm sq sized wire but the closest American aftermarket is .8mm sq. Same for the Black 1.25mm sq. Closest American aftermarket size is 1.0 mm sq.

I have just this morning found a site in Australia that has the Red .85mm and the Black 1.25mm listed. I have sent them an email to see about pricing and shipping. Don't know if it will be worth it, but we will see...

Some further information about Toyota Fusible Link Wire colors used across their entire automotive line:
The Toyota color code is:
Link Color.......Link Size

0.3 P Purple.........22 (AWG) Protects a 18 ga wire
0.5 G Green.........20 (AWG) Protects a 16 ga wire
0.85 R Red...........18 (AWG) Protects a 14 ga wire
1.0 GR Gray.........17 (AWG) Protects a 13 ga wire
1.25 B Black.........16 (AWG) Protects a 12 ga wire
2.0 L Light Blue..14 (AWG) Protects a 10 ga wire
3.0...........................12 (AWG) Protects a 8 ga wire

@Coolerman

Yazaki is the OEM if you have a way to contact them for bulk purchase .... Also, I have seen JIS Fusible link wire on Rakuten in the past.

Thanks Spike Strip.
I was aware that Yazaki was the OEM supplier for the correct colored links. I am finding out that the OEM COLORS are what are hard to find.
I thought I had found a source in AU, but got an email from them yesterday stating they had stopped carrying all fusible link wire. They sent me another contact for a supplier in Taiwan, but I have not heard back from them yet.

We have worked on getting these recreated in house. We typically rebuild them when in the shop but have started to make new ones for customers.

Hope these can help people down the line.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom