fj62 Daniel Stern headlight upgrade problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently received a headlight upgrade kit for my fj62 from Daniel Stern. He emailed me the set of instructions, from which I drew a diagram and connected things up. Well, to make a long story short, it didn't work. I had to re-engineer the whole thing to get it to work. It works fine now, but I didn't do it the way Mr. Stern designed it. I haven't been able to raise him for several days, either by email or telephone.

So, I'm thinking he sent the wrong directions. Can one of you that has done his headlight upgrade for an fj62 post up the instructions you followed? Would be much appreciated.

EDIT: This thread used to have some schematics that I created when I built my first harness. I have since modified the design and have deleted the drawings from this thread. Please refer to the following thread for the updated drawings and info on my headlight wiring harness:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/354721-headlight-upgrade-harness-fj60-fj62.html

Last edited:
I followed his instructions, them went back and fixed a couple things to make it work. I'm guessing you got the same instructions I got.

I also had to re-engineer the system to make it work for my FJ62. Like you, I ended up using only two of the relays. If I can find the diagram I drew up I will scan it and post it here.

The wiring of these headlights from the factory is a challenge to upgrade, thanks to the way Toyota switches the ground side, not the "hot" side of the circuit. Very odd.

Several years ago a very smart lister on the 3FE list designed an excellent harness setup that worked very well. He posted detailed wiring and assembly instructions in the Files section, I recommend you sub to this list and take a look. He was actually making and selling harnesses for awhile, but quickly grew tired of it (I don't blame him).

The wiring of these headlights from the factory is a challenge to upgrade, thanks to the way Toyota switches the ground side, not the "hot" side of the circuit. Very odd.

Several years ago a very smart lister on the 3FE list designed an excellent harness setup that worked very well. He posted detailed wiring and assembly instructions in the Files section, I recommend you sub to this list and take a look. He was actually making and selling harnesses for awhile, but quickly grew tired of it (I don't blame him).

The 60 set up is much different from the 62, correct?

Zack

I used all 3 of his relays. It's been several years but I seem to remember to switching the ground/power wires around and all was well.

It is cold/stormy out right now but if you don't get this worked out with info from other post, post back up & tomorrow I will go look @ my wiring. In the meantime you might try all 3 relays & switch what you are now using as 'ground' to be the 'power' source.

John

If I recall, the problems I had stemmed from me taking the terminal layout for the H4 bulbs as being the layout for the stock sealed beams (so that I had the leads coming from the stock harness to the relays wrong), and the instructions had the wiring for the 2 output terminals on the (hi-lo) switching relay backwards. As I remember, after the initial hook-up I would get high beams for low beams, and nothing for high beams. Took a bit of thinking, and a good look at Wayne's diagram from mud to figure it out, but they've been great lights.

Last edited:
The 60 set up is much different from the 62, correct?

Zack

I don't think it is much different. The FJ 62 has one high/low (H4) and one high (H1) bulb if recall and the FJ 60 has just the one high/low bulb (H4) (per side of course).

If you use the Tangen wiring diagram on the link above, just remove the third Relay (the one going to the H1 bulb).

The Third relay is used on the FJ62 so you have two independent circuits providing power to the H4/H1 high beam pair.

Great write up! This is the kind of schematic I can relate to
GG

If this works, Daniel owes you much. I too bought a kit from him 2 years ago, followed the directions precisely several times, actually got him to respond to a call for help, got bad info again, (he gets a little testy in his responses) and finally gave up. Since that time I have tinkered with it and actually got the whole box of parts and wiring out again last night to try to make sense of it all. Thank you very much for posting how you solved your problem. I would like to see pictures of where you installed your relays and how you ran your wiring. Thanks again

I have to recommend the kit from Cruiser Outfitters.... I got ARB/IPF headlight housings, IPF bulbs, and the ARB wiring harness. This thing was TRULY plug and play and works perfectly straight from box.

replace housings...install bulbs...connect female connectors...connect male connector...mount relays inside bay area with fuse...connect wires to battery.....install relays...turn on....THEN YOU HAVE BRIGHT LIGHT. :D

Daniel Stern

I bought one of his kits and it would not work. He would never return e-mails or answer the phone. I sent it back for and did not get a refund. I got a harness from Rallye lights and it plugged right in and worked. I say send it back and try to get your money back.

SLCFJ62 - can you provide some details on the relays used in the harness? I completed your PL/PW fix and found it extremely easy to follow - not only did I fix nagging issues, I now understand the power of relays! I would like to avoid +100$ for a harness and purchase 3 relays for ~15$...

Sounds cool. Document your mod, and do a thread when you are done that lists parts, sources, etc. I poked around on the discover bulbs site, and found this connector that looks just like the ones I got from Daniel Stern:

http://discoverbulbs.com/images/auto_bulbs/h4ceramic_wm.jpg
I'd like to find the plug that would plug into this socket. Stern sells it, if you can answer the 300 email questions correctly (slight numeric exaggeration). Anyone else?

Dang, you got that right, most excellent find!

Those connectors are nice. The 16 gauge is adequate down to the H4 bulbs but any power wiring with current for both bulbs needs to be 12 gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom