FJ62 Auto Transmission Issues - Need Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning/Afternoon Mud,

I purchased an 89' 3FE back in March (2016). I have had issues with the responsiveness of the trans shifting (Kickdown Cable) but I have not adjusted yet.

Last month I drove the wagon around 250 miles in a day and the trans gave out on the interstate. Trans fluid was everywhere so I had it towed back to my house. After further inspection and re-adding fluid the trans seems to be solid (thank god). I have been able to drive it around town without any major issue. From the looks of it, it appears to have overheated.

I know I have to adjust the kickdown cable, but should I look into replacing the trans-cooler lines and possibly the radiator? I plan on draining the trans and re-adding fluid afterwards.

Any help is appreciated!

What do you mean by the tranny "gave out"? Have you determined the source of the fluid leak?

What do you mean by the tranny "gave out"? Have you determined the source of the fluid leak?
After 4 hours on the highway It kicked out of gear around 70mph and went into neutral. Pulled over and trans fluid was all over the engine block. Interestingly enough there is no leak. Seems the fluid might have came out due to the trans overheating? I'm not sure

To add it would not go into gear after this happened. You would only hear gears grinding but the trans seemed to be in neutral. After sitting a week fluid was re-added and able to drive.

I guess that your transmission overheated and blew fluid out a breather tube? You may have to re cap the breather if that is the case. Then the question is, why did it overheat.
Did you notice the red light on, indicating high temperatures for the transmission?
The responsiveness of the shifts may be an indication of internal transmission troubles, not necessarily TV cable adjustment. Not going into gear with little fluid left isn't a surprise.

I guess that your transmission overheated and blew fluid out a breather tube? You may have to re cap the breather if that is the case. Then the question is, why did it overheat.
Did you notice the red light on, indicating high temperatures for the transmission?
The responsiveness of the shifts may be an indication of internal transmission troubles, not necessarily TV cable adjustment. Not going into gear with little fluid left isn't a surprise.

Thanks for the informative response. That is the likely source of the fluid. The transmission oil temp light on the shifter is always on. I asked the seller and the mechanics at IPOR about this and was informed it's likely a short. The trans goes in and out of gear very smoothly, especially when first running. This is why I am thinking the trans-cooler lines are possibly clogged /and/or the radiator needs to be replaced. I was told the trans was rebuilt when I bought it but I took that with a grain of salt.

Does the FJ62 have a trans cooler? Also the kickdown cable adjustment is really easy check your FSM for the specs., the adjustment nut is on top of the throttle body and is the 14mm nut, not the 12mm nut.

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom