FJ62 4WD dash light out, transfer case switch replacement FIX (1 Viewer)

I’ve had an intermittent issue with my 4WD dash indicator light, and when it finally went out I traced it back to the switch screwed into the side of the transfer case. This is the switch that when engaged, closes a circuit that lights up the dash.

It’s a little confusing what part this actually is: here is what I found:

817DE6EA-271E-4185-8AEE-20A15EB02297.png

Perhaps someone who has replaced one of these can help narrow down to the correct part number for anyone who wants a direct fit replacement?

Even the dealership couldn’t figure out which one I needed and price felt a bit high, so on a hunch, I took a different route. It seemed that Toyota wouldn’t vary their switch design that much, so I bought 3 different similar aftermarket switches for the same period Toyota vehicles. One of them was a T100, can’t recall the others. These are NOT official part interchanges, just my guesses:

Beck Arnley 201-1788
Dorman 600-544
Standard Motor Products LS240

Turns out, all of these work. Thread pitch and diameter are the same. I installed and tested each with a DMM to ensure that the switch was being engaged, and all are within a millimeter of the original’s length. Of the 3, the LS240 is the only one with a pigtail and it happens to be dead-on dimensionally. You will need to clip and swap the connector end with your original, but that’s about 10 min with some butt connectors or a soldering gun and some shrink tube.

1404A76B-B544-4B8F-A479-1602D8AFFA87.jpeg

Total cost: $20-40, depending on switch.

Last edited:

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
I’ve had an intermittent issue with my 4WD dash indicator light, and when it finally went out I traced it back to the switch screwed into the side of the transfer case. This is the switch that when engaged, closes a circuit that lights up the dash.

It’s a little confusing what part this actually is: here is what I found:

View attachment 2617345

Perhaps someone who has replaced one of these can help narrow down to the correct part number for anyone who wants a direct fit replacement?

Even the dealership couldn’t figure out which one I needed and price felt a bit high, so on a hunch, I took a different route. It seemed that Toyota wouldn’t vary their switch design that much, so I bought 3 different similar aftermarket switches for the same period Toyota vehicles. One of them was a T100, can’t recall the others. These are NOT official part interchanges, just my guesses:

Beck Arnley 201-1788
Dorman 600-544
Standard Motor Products LS240

Turns out, all of these work. Thread pitch and diameter are the same. I installed and tested each with a DMM to ensure that the switch was being engaged, and all are within a millimeter of the original’s length. Of the 3, the LS240 is the only one with a pigtail and it happens to be dead-on dimensionally. You will need to clip and swap the connector end with your original, but that’s about 10 min with some butt connectors or a soldering gun and some shrink tube.

View attachment 2617503

Total cost: $20-40, depending on switch.

can you show the correct connector plug on your 62 harness ?

i carry this FJ40/ FJ60 4wd indicator but if a updated 62 connector in now a need i will stock it to better serve the 62 community ....

thanks

1616257055700.png

can you show the correct connector plug on your 62 harness ?

i carry this FJ40/ FJ60 4wd indicator but if a updated 62 connector in now a need i will stock it to better serve the 62 community ....

thanks

View attachment 2620286
Matt, the connector on the part you show in the photo looks like the one on my truck. It’s a pinky-sized cylinder with 2 spades inside. If I had known you sell the “correct” part I probably would have just bought from you. I usually prefer OEM parts, this one was just such a pain to figure out that I went the DIY route, plus it was a little cheaper.

If you want to send me one, I’ll gladly verify fit on my 62 😉😁

ToyotaMatt

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Matt, the connector on the part you show in the photo looks like the one on my truck. It’s a pinky-sized cylinder with 2 spades inside. If I had known you sell the “correct” part I probably would have just bought from you. I usually prefer OEM parts, this one was just such a pain to figure out that I went the DIY route, plus it was a little cheaper.

If you want to send me one, I’ll gladly verify fit on my 62 😉😁

tell me

is these a better ID pics TECH ?

if so , i call this the hot-dog -trouble connector !

they are all gear oil soaked and crumble like oil potato chips !

crap design :confused:

1616266810519.png

1616266831539.png

1616266965816.png

1616267220785.png

1616267189967.png

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Here's the OEM part number, diagram and pic: came yesterday from Dubai and pretty much looks like the part sold by ToyotaMatt (and about the same price).

Better than paying $100+ at a dealership, but not as clever as your fix. Wish I was a bit handier. By the time I could locate the proper connector and get it connected hours would tick by... Do they sell the connector you used, or the one that TM showed at the local parts stores?
1616298445637.png

IMG_7661.jpeg

You don’t need a new connector. I just clipped the old one off the old switch and soldered on to the pigtail of the new switch.

ToyotaMatt

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
About 4 years ago I got sick and tired of this issues you struggled with above

I contacted yazaki japan and they told me they had a single 100pc bag of the consumer color black toyota owns the color grey and it’s now a proprietary part number not availble to any one but them

Isnached up the last of the public supply of u will or global supply chain

So if anyone needs the male or female housings so if anyone needs housing hit me
Up

I have terminals too

The housing harness side indeed gets oil soaked and will simply Melt away I gave seen from gear oil

363D9CDB-035E-4C49-9FFF-5551716F00D6.jpeg
E2C49A67-F343-4415-8CE8-1ED6E321CAB2.jpeg

Do you have just the housings, or the rubber stoppers and terminal connectors as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom