FJ60 won't start, backfires from carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright Cruiserheads, I have just finished my rebuild on my 1984 FJ60. I am beyond excited to start the 2F for the first time. I turn the key and she just turns over and over and then a puff of smoke from the carb. I think maybe I am 180 degrees out. So, I try to pull the distributor and rotate it. It seems to want to start, but just won't catch. I am slightly frustrated at this point, but I go back to being methodical. I pull the valve cover and make sure I am at #1 TDC with both valves closed. I set the distributor to point at #4 spark plug and try again. Same results as the first time. Turns over and over with a puff from the carb. I check the bowl on the carb, and it's perfectly filled. I test my ignition to see if it has good voltage.. she reads 12 volts. I get the misses to turn the key and make sure I am getting spark at the plugs. The spark seems a little weak, but still a spark. I am stumped. I need some insightful advice and maybe a number to a local mechanic that knows carburated engines better that he knows his wife. Thanks for any and all help y'all can provide.

Sounds like your still 180 off.
Line up the pointer to the B.B. on the flywheel.
Sometimes you may have to line the gear where the distributor goes with a long screw driver.
Check your FSM and go down the trouble shooting table. Hopefully you can find it.

Either distributor is off or plug wire order is wrong

I have tried 180 turn and checked and rechecked the wires. I like the idea of static timing. Think I will give that a try tonight.

Thanks for the thought.

The distributor rotation may be off as well. I mean from a setting the timing sense.

Good thoughts by all. I will check valves and static time it tonight. If that doesn't work, I will rotate the distributor one tooth. Gonna say a few prayers while I'm at it. Need all the help I can get.
I really appreciate the willingness of the Cruiser Community to help a newbie. Hope I can pay it forward one day.

the manual pic of the distributor alignment to the engine block is off just a bit, try turning it a bit closer to the #3, and should work.

Update...
I was starting to check all my spark plugs while static timing, and snapped 2 of them. That was really a blessing in disguise, because, I had my wife watch the valves while I turned the motor for the static timing. She told me that my intake valve had just closed. I looked at the distributor and noticed I was 180 out! (Egg on face) also my plugs must have been crap. I threw new plugs in her and turned the dizzy 180 and she fired up! Only thing I need to figure out now is how to get her to idle. Thanks for all the insight.

Good wife you have there! Guessing you were turning from the flywheel? Next time you can turn the motor by the alt or PS nuts (minus the plugs).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom