Fj60 virgin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,I've been lurking for quite some time now and finally decided to join officially:smokin:

Just some basics,I live in South Africa, I'm 21 years old,good mechanical knowledge and always ready to learn so I apologise in ahead for any stupid questions. I enjoy the outdoors and 4x4ing.

I'm in the process of buying a 1987 fj60 with a 3f engine, current owner replaced the old 2f with the 3f which was refurbished 60 000km ago. It has a body lift and ome suspension(I think). Absolutely no rust and all the panels line up perfect.

Now for the real beef, I have been pondering the idea of a 3f rebuild,I can get a 3f from an 80 series for the equivalent of about $450. I have the following plans for that engine:

• medium size turbo (10psi?)
• square all matting surfaces
• stroke it out as minimal as possible if need be.
• new oem cam
• bigger valves
• polish ports
• o ring or fire ring cylinders? (anyone done this?)
• hydrogen injection (anyone done this?)
• anything else?

And a bunch of general repair and maintenance. I plan to do all the work I can except for machining. This is not a DD engine but will eventually hopefully. I would like to hear some opinions on the "do-ability" of this project,just want to know what I will be getting I to before I do.

The end goal is for a solid,reliable engine with good drivability, I plan to do 90% town driving.

SBC conversion is out of the question :slap:

Thanks ahead!!!

Welcome!
Ahh South Africa.... I lived in Cape Town for 6 months many years ago. Rented a Toyota Bakkie Hilux & went all over the place. I wish I lived there now.

Your plans for your cruiser sound ambitious. Hydrogen injection certainly does. Wow. Many members here on this forum have either 2F, 3F-E, 2H, 3B, or 12H-T Toyota engines, with others (a smaller percentage) having either GM gasoline V8s or Cummins or Isuzu Diesels (not as common). Our Australia & UAE members got the carbed 3F engines, but they are not as active on this website.

The sky (and the budget) is the limit for a these cruisers. They are a great foundation to build whatever your dream may be. If you get a chance, post up a few pictures of your cruiser & engine. Everyone likes to see exotic Land Cruisers!

Thanks for the warm welcome output!!
Cape Town is an awesome place to live, I'm up here in Johannesburg:D

I've read just about 80% of the 2f and 3f builds on this awesome site and you hear of all the building process but never the end result after a year or two? A lot of mods that I'll be doing with this cruiser will be a first time thing for me.

I've thought about doing a 6bt or lexus v8 conversion but for now and the next 10 years this little 3f will have to chug along, anyway the 6bt is more for the land rover guys:flush:

So just to wrap my head around things I have a few questions;
1- fire rings or o rings?
2- what size turbo and in what rpm range am I looking for boost?
3- what larger valves should I use? (Ferrea or SBC or anything else?)
4- will the stock cam suffice for my hp needs?
5- what is the fuel consumption and DD ability of an engine like this?

Keep in mind I do not have the engine or the cruiser just yet, I just want to find out what this will run me and what I can expect and budget for. I can get oem parts at cost price from toyota so I would like to use those parts if I can.
Screenshot_2017-03-03-07-10-18-1.png
Screenshot_2017-03-03-07-10-52-1.png
Screenshot_2017-03-03-07-10-50-1.png
Screenshot_2017-03-03-07-10-42-1.png
Screenshot_2017-03-03-07-10-24-1.png

Just to give you an idea of how tall she is I am 6'8 and the bottom of the door sits at my hip:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom