FJ60 lower coolant pipe. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In doing some cooling system maintenance and replacing the lower Rad cooling pipe and hoses, I took the pipe to get sandblasted so I could re-paint it.

Unfortunately my desire to NOT have the inside of the pipe blasted was not heeded. So now the pipe has been sandblasted inside and out.

I am not happy because I fear that blasting the inside removed a necessary costing and will have a high probability of introducing debris to the system that otherwise wouldn't have been without the blasting.

Would it be best to bite the bullet and get a new pipe or am I making a mountain out of a molehill and I should go ahead with my plan? If I should just use what I have, what should I do about the inner pipe being raw and uncoated ?

IMG_4954.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG

The entire inside of the motor is raw uncoated iron. The whole thing relies on corrosion inhibitors in the coolant. Changing your coolant every couple years is all you need to do. Clean out the inside good with a water flush, paint it and run it.

When I blast my own pipes I mask off the opening with plugs or Gorilla tape. So maybe in the future do this before you send it to the blaster - he's not going to go to the effort to take the masking off.

Bite the bullet and powder coat it. Paint will not last. But the then a minimum job order for Powdercoating will cost more than replacing the pipe.

Either powdercoat it or replace it I say.
That sand etched metal will accelerate its demise & paint won't work.

Last edited:
The entire inside of the motor is raw uncoated iron. The whole thing relies on corrosion inhibitors in the coolant. Changing your coolant every couple years is all you need to do. Clean out the inside good with a water flush, paint it and run it.

When I blast my own pipes I mask off the opening with plugs or Gorilla tape. So maybe in the future do this before you send it to the blaster - he's not going to go to the effort to take the masking off.

Thanks for the reply. I am worried that there was some sort of interior coating that Toyota put on that, when removed, makes for a bad situation even with the anti-corrosives in anti-freeze.

Bite the bullet and powder coat it. Paint will not last. But the then a minimum job order for Powdercoating will cost more than replacing the pipe.

Either powdercoat it or replace it I say.
That sand etched metal will accelerate its demise & paint won't work.

So you are saying powder coat the inside as well as the outside ?
Isn't there a danger of the interior powder coating coming loose and messing up the whole system ?

I would paint the outside and roll on, ensuring you run proper coolant / water mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom