FJ60 Enclosed Rear Quarter-panel Sub-woofer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Top notch work cam2ski

Are the rivet nuts pressed into place? What tool is used?

Sure a tool exists to install them, but this is an option (that is free). I have used this tecnique with great results and I had everything laying around. One day I will get the actual tool.

Sure a tool exists to install them, but this is an option (that is free). I have used this tecnique with great results and I had everything laying around. One day I will get the actual tool.

simple but brilliant.

thanks all.

bfoldy, yeah, just a strip of quality painters tape. I go over it firmly with a dowel or a pen to make sure that it's created a quality adhesion. When applying the stain, try not to come at the tape, try to start right on the tape and then wipe away from it. If that makes sense...
Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense.

Another question....If I'm understanding correctly, you inserted polyester fill in to the subwoofer enclosure? It's been a long time since I've built a subwoofer box, but does the fill not rob the sub of the air space it needs? Maybe I should read that link posted later in the thread about building a subwoofer box.

Thanks for posting this up.

Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense.

Another question....If I'm understanding correctly, you inserted polyester fill in to the subwoofer enclosure? It's been a long time since I've built a subwoofer box, but does the fill not rob the sub of the air space it needs? Maybe I should read that link posted later in the thread about building a subwoofer box.

Thanks for posting this up.

Good question. I can't claim to be fluent in audio engineering but I think my choice here was due to both some basic research on subwoofer box fabrication as well as some advice from a friend who is a bit of a hobbyist in car audio. However, I didn't consider how any poly-fill may effect volume calculations. Definitely worth some more research when volume is at a premium.

This is really cool. Where did you land the amp?

Question about the sub box... Does't it need an "exhaust" port?

So far I'm happy with the Pioneer amp I chose, listed in my opening post. I built a bracket for it and stashed it away in the other quarter panel cavity. I hope to post some pics of that project soon

From my brief, internet-based self-tutorial on subwoofer boxes, I learned that there are generally two types of subwoofer enclosures, sealed and ported. From what I remember, there was not really a consensus on which type of construction style is superior.

What was agreed upon, was that for any given driver (speaker), substantially more volume is required of a ported enclosure than a sealed one to get comparable sound quality. Since space was so limited for this build I went with sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom