Wanted FJ60/2 Restored, restomod or built - I want the best one I can find... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been looking and trying to find the "perfect truck". Turns out there a lot of things that could be perfect. What is most important to me is the condition and have to say I like the idea of a built truck.

However great body and restored or new/replaced undercarriage, drivetrain is all important. I figure interior being done would be great, but something I could change quick and drive this summer if it isnt.

I want something I can feel is reliable for long trips and is also got AC, etc.

I like but dont have to have all of:
V8 conversion, modern EFI ideally
Lift and bigger tires/wheels, with stearing to handle it
bumpers and winch
Overland is overkill for what I need, but love the look so will consider those.
The only project I would really want to undertake is if someone has done all the work and prepared for a new drivetrain and i could have a modern LS or LT crate installed.. but dont have time for body, chassis, and a complete frame off redoux.

So, the question everyone asks, what is my budget. Before I answer that, given what I have said above, I am wondering what you guys think is an appropriate budget. I know you can contract with people if you have a truck to start with, but frankly, I am hoping to find one that someone has done all of that and is ready to move on. What I don't have at the moment is a year to wait for a project like that to be done. If I have to I will do it, but I am hoping to find one that fits the bill.

So what range am I thinking? I am sure I can find one at crazy prices, I looked at the crazy amazing over the top TLC ones, and so forth but that is too far from my perspective, but maybe that is what it takes?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

I agree with you, mostly, however I have shopped around for a v8 swap and 15k is about the minimum I was quoted. Considerably more than that when you add in a few nuances that make the swap more desirable. I would try to get the guy with the 83 down on price a good bit to account for its issues and then live with it a while and see what direction it guided you to take. Sometimes the idea of these things is very different than actually living with and using them. If that engine swap is solid and holds up for at least another 50k that is a lot of getting to know you time

Yikes! Were they quoting new/rebuilt engine and trans? Maybe I'm off on the swap price by a bit and it's a better deal than I thought? I was assuming it would be near $10k if it was a used drive train from a donor car.

Even so, I was guessing that $15-18 would be a bargain.

Pull out motor and trans for 15k ish. Brand new crate motor etc. 26k minimum. Saw a receipt for one with crate motor/ trans and many nice peripherals like speedhut gauges etc. etc. 40k. It is a lot of work and adds up quickly. The benefit to one like that 83 that is already done (assuming done well) is if you need to swap in a new vortec all that extra work is already done. That way joe schmo your neighborhood mechanic can do it for you with just a regular amount of engine swap labor. One of the bigger issues with these swaps is electrics. Have to make sure that is done well.

It seems the 60 we were talking about is a mud members, therefore I would give it more value based on they likely knew what they were doing. For Sale - 83 FJ60 with Vortec Swap

build up https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QlFHNTFxbEtjY2kxWnkzbkxzUWRZcFFyZVo0bnVR

This might be a bargain now that there is a documented history.

Mechanically, this is a bargain, my personal issue is I dont want to have rust or have to have the bodywork done to keep it from spreading. If this truck was a rust free body, it would be a slam dunk. It is small amount I realize, but where there is some, there is more. It would be more within the scope of what i would do to drop a new EFI on a small block, or hire out to a third party to add this or that, but body work is a bigger project than I am after. Really, I want something I can drive now and no project at all, hence the title of this post.

However, I have not yet found the perfect FJ60 yet, but I am still pouring through the emails and the information sent to me.

Here is my summary of where I see things as I have been presented with.

$15-23K - These are either clean originals, either no swap and just great shape original or mechanically refreshened trucks. Not perfect, drivers but also not professionally built by a shop. The individuals that built them up or cleeaned them up might be pro quality, that said. A few hand built V8 swaps but they are really in need of another project to bring them to a level I would like to have.

$40-45k- It seems that everyone else that has a built or restored truck wants 40k for them. These have been built and then either driven for 5000-15000 miles and many want to move onto their next project. Almost all of these are not a frame off restore or rebuild but many are close and hand built. The one that is a frame off restore has a stock but rare toyota Diesel. All of these are unique in their own way. All of these feel like what it might cost if I found someone to do the project for me, so I am thinking these are a possibilitiy, however many here would think they are too expensive. However, if I was to undertake duplicating most of these projects, starting with a solid truck and paying someone else to do it, I would be at least 50, possibly sixty or more. The proffit rig seems to be the anomaly here, however the work is over 5 years old and it is professionally done and for sale on behalf of the owner.

$50-80k - These are the trucks that were completely restored and restomodded (a word?) and on the low end, we find a more street rod LS3 based toyota, like you guys have pointed out in Atlanta. Then move on up to the Land Cruiser restorations level restomod's. Which are not frame off but as close as you can get to getting there. 65k for a "finished" and very solid rig. This is probably the price it would cost or at a discount to sending them one and giving them a list of to dos. On the higher end of this, there is a customer built Tan one with leather interior and a vortech. Nearly no miles on the truck after the restomod work. Cheaper than the receipts add up to, and a very nice rig. But just can not get my head around the price just yet.

$100K+ If I had unlimited funds I would have TLC/Icon build me the dream FJ62. Jonathan Ward is a great guy and have known him for a while and believe that he does great work. I think he is smart and resides in and services the affluent LA and Norcal markets and gets paid what he deserves. I am just not comfortable spending that much on myself for a "3rd truck" . If things change I would love to have him build a commission to my whim (and his!) Few people have his experience, knowledge and understanding in terms of building a great rig, in my humble opinion.

So where does that leave me?

I have not seen the one that compels me 100% to buy yet. I am still pondering about 4 rigs from what I have seen and found, and all over the spectrum. I want to continue to research and learn more. Fortunately work has me over the top busy so I have been takign this a bit slower than i had planned but new trucks show up and I learn more.

If I wanted to take a year and build exactly what I would want, i would most likely find a near perfect body, could be stock or known. I would have the truck prepared for a connect and cruise GM integrated off the shelf drive in and make it look like it came from the factory. I would do all the normal suspension and locker work that is well known to most. I would put in a new interior based on stock and add bumpers and gear front and rear. That would take a while either sooner paying a ton in cash or paying a lot in time. My problem is I want to find this truck that someone else wanted to do and has done it. It might well be in my inbox now. I am hoping to go through the top 5 this week and see what I am doing. The alternative is to buy something else for this summer now, and just start the project and have patience and wait till next summer for the completed project. However this defeats the idea of buying something below its replacement cost but at fair market value that I began this thread with. (/Rambling)

This thread so far has been extremely helpful for me ,thanks for the input and I welcome comments to my "as i understand it now" state of the market.

Thanks

Craig

This could be what you're looking for:

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

I have been looking at this one pretty hard. I am just trying to get my butt into a local 60, as I have head room issues in the 80. So I am trying to determine if this is the path forward or not.

@brammo I am 6'2" and have several inches of headroom over the factory seats in my FJ60. So I'd imagine you'd be just fine, although you might ask about pedal adjustment (the erod LS engines use electronic throttles I believe, which might make legroom easier to accommodate).

@brammo I am 6'2" and have several inches of headroom over the factory seats in my FJ60. So I'd imagine you'd be just fine, although you might ask about pedal adjustment (the erod LS engines use electronic throttles I believe, which might make legroom easier to accommodate).

I just sat in a brand new 200 today, and put it all the way as low as it will go and my hair touches the roof, so not enough margin for bouncing off road I fear. I am hoping an FJ60 will be better? The 80 I tried was almost identical to the 200. I am very long waisted, and sit like I am 6'6".

I am starting to think I may not be a toyota guy after all :(

60 series has way more head room then the 80-200 series.

50k for the one zgarre posted? No offense if it is yours, but at the Buy It now price: There is rust on the seat base, rust on some aftermarket floor tie down in the back, rear inside panels look worn, seat recovering fit n finish is sub-par for 50k. Don't get me wrong, except for what looks to be an oil leak, the paint and engine swap is top notch! Clean, but at this price the little things must be addressed. It is always about the little things.

In the 50-60*k range I am expecting something along a collectible 993 Porsche, even the door/gate hardware should look brand new! I too would have a very tough time with a large budget finding the perfect truck, I think I would probably find the right truck and the right shop and have it done my way. Just my .02

@Chocolyle not my truck, just spotted it on eBay and found the build thread. It's always a mystery to me why people don't bother powder coating the seat frames on restorations this expensive. You're absolutely right that the little things matter.

60 series has way more head room then the 80-200 series.

50k for the one zgarre posted? No offense if it is yours, but at the Buy It now price: There is rust on the seat base, rust on some aftermarket floor tie down in the back, rear inside panels look worn, seat recovering fit n finish is sub-par for 50k. Don't get me wrong, except for what looks to be an oil leak, the paint and engine swap is top notch! Clean, but at this price the little things must be addressed. It is always about the little things.

In the 50-60*k range I am expecting something along a collectible 993 Porsche, even the door/gate hardware should look brand new! I too would have a very tough time with a large budget finding the perfect truck, I think I would probably find the right truck and the right shop and have it done my way. Just my .02

THat is why I have not pulled the trigger. I also looked at the white and black street queen LS install, still too much I think for the details.

I might have to build one afterall. I guess I will buy a Gwagen for day to day while I find a 60 to do a project. I will still have to engineer a lower seat though. :(

Hey Craig, just logged into MUD for the first time in a while. I see you're still on the hunt. I'll be in Oregon with the truck next week and welcome you to check mine out, sit in it, drive it, etc. whether you're still interested in buying or not. I visited the fine folks at Proffitt a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned someone in San Diego who would probably buy my truck for more than I've offered it to you. Either way, it got another clean bill of health (after a new transmission) and more admiration for the zero-rust body.

Hope to catch you for beers and cruisers in OR soon either way.
Cheers,
John

Hey Craig, just logged into MUD for the first time in a while. I see you're still on the hunt. I'll be in Oregon with the truck next week and welcome you to check mine out, sit in it, drive it, etc. whether you're still interested in buying or not. I visited the fine folks at Proffitt a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned someone in San Diego who would probably buy my truck for more than I've offered it to you. Either way, it got another clean bill of health (after a new transmission) and more admiration for the zero-rust body.

Hope to catch you for beers and cruisers in OR soon either way.
Cheers,
John
I have been looking and trying to find the "perfect truck". Turns out there a lot of things that could be perfect. What is most important to me is the condition and have to say I like the idea of a built truck.

However great body and restored or new/replaced undercarriage, drivetrain is all important. I figure interior being done would be great, but something I could change quick and drive this summer if it isnt.

I want something I can feel is reliable for long trips and is also got AC, etc.

I like but dont have to have all of:
V8 conversion, modern EFI ideally
Lift and bigger tires/wheels, with stearing to handle it
bumpers and winch
Overland is overkill for what I need, but love the look so will consider those.
The only project I would really want to undertake is if someone has done all the work and prepared for a new drivetrain and i could have a modern LS or LT crate installed.. but dont have time for body, chassis, and a complete frame off redoux.

So, the question everyone asks, what is my budget. Before I answer that, given what I have said above, I am wondering what you guys think is an appropriate budget. I know you can contract with people if you have a truck to start with, but frankly, I am hoping to find one that someone has done all of that and is ready to move on. What I don't have at the moment is a year to wait for a project like that to be done. If I have to I will do it, but I am hoping to find one that fits the bill.

So what range am I thinking? I am sure I can find one at crazy prices, I looked at the crazy amazing over the top TLC ones, and so forth but that is too far from my perspective, but maybe that is what it takes?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Craig I have been off the grid for a while and just decided to list my 86 FJ 60 and saw your thread.....
the 86 CRZR has been gone over and I can send details and pictures but basically all new heavy duty lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, winch, paint, bmw seats, carpet, baja top carrier and much more. The best part is the 5.3 vortec installed by TorFab with a ZO6 cam and xm radio speakers and TorFab camping drawer system and ARB fridge freezer.
very compressed list and have receipts that show I have $42K in the total makeover including the $8K for the original rust free FJ 60 purchased.
Let me know if you are interested in more info. We are spending the month of September in Bend Oregon(Steelhead fishing) and if it does not sell before that I am driving it out there and putting a for sale sign in it. Make me an offer for this DD.......

ScottCo

A few pics. Can only upload 5 at a time if you want more pm me and i will email more. Have pics of the camping drawer set up and fridge freezer that Tor wired the back for exclusively. Also note the double battery set up w/ stainless holders. Little things like that I forget to even mention.....

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

A few pics. Can only upload 5 at a time if you want more pm me and i will email more. Have pics of the camping drawer set up and fridge freezer that Tor wired the back for exclusively. Also note the double battery set up w/ stainless holders. Little things like that I forget to even mention.....

View attachment 1498503

View attachment 1498505

View attachment 1498507

View attachment 1498508

View attachment 1498509

Nice Rig, impressed... Loved Co when I lived in Manitou, new windshield every year gets old though =)

GLWS

$30-$60K. Most likely landing in $40K ranch for your wishlist truck.

And please, by all means, spend the money. These trucks are about to do what Bronco's did just a handful of years ago... If you really want a 60 (and I know the feeling), you're going to be kicking yourself if you wait.

If you want anyone to have feelers out for you, PM me your target price, and I'll reach out to my network. Happy to help any way I can!

OP, I think that you are going to have a hard time finding just exactly what you are looking for. I have no doubt that the truck is out there. But most trucks of the type you describe are going to have a couple or more years on them and will need some TLC to get back up to the level you are looking for.

Lord knows that the best deals in the automotive world are the vehicles that have been resto-modded and the person that either did the resto-mod or commissioned it is now selling. This does not often happen within a year or so of the work being completed.

In regard to your seat height requirements, this is an easy chore. I am 6'3" and have not had an issue yet fitting a proper seat into a 60/62. I have a set of Pro cars on Tor Fab style brackets in a truck now that I need to add 2" risers to in order to gain a little height. No where close to hitting my head on the headliner.

I think you may have to loosen up on what you will "accept" in order to actually find that right vehicle. Unless built specifically for you they will all need some level of further work to get back to that fresh resto-mod level.

OP, I think that you are going to have a hard time finding just exactly what you are looking for. I have no doubt that the truck is out there. But most trucks of the type you describe are going to have a couple or more years on them and will need some TLC to get back up to the level you are looking for.

Lord knows that the best deals in the automotive world are the vehicles that have been resto-modded and the person that either did the resto-mod or commissioned it is now selling. This does not often happen within a year or so of the work being completed.

In regard to your seat height requirements, this is an easy chore. I am 6'3" and have not had an issue yet fitting a proper seat into a 60/62. I have a set of Pro cars on Tor Fab style brackets in a truck now that I need to add 2" risers to in order to gain a little height. No where close to hitting my head on the headliner.

I think you may have to loosen up on what you will "accept" in order to actually find that right vehicle. Unless built specifically for you they will all need some level of further work to get back to that fresh resto-mod level.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate that. I might be looking for the holy grail. your point about rarely does someone build one to perfection and sell it within the first year, is probably spot on.

I keep thinking that I will know it when I see it. Maybe to your point I will look for the 70% solution as opposed to the 80- 90% version!

As for the seat, I just had my son sit in an FJ60. He is 6'5" and his hair just touches, I am 6'3" and my hair touches and a small bump and I would hit it. He is much more slim than I and am sure that moves my spine forward in the seat a bit and up closer to the roof. I think I will have to go the BMW M3 seat with some mods in order to make an FJ work for me.

Thanks

Craig - Still hunting

My chocolate 86 has about 4K miles on the v-8 conversion and about 8K on my original FJ that I bought for $8K 2 1/2
Years ago. So these conversions do take time. The seat issue is a puzzle to me and I did measure for Craig as I put the series 3 BMW seats in when at Tor's for the motor swap. I am 6'2" and not even close to the top. I think it was 40" from seat to liner...will be getting mine on the market and have some interest now but will be in Alaska for 2 weeks. Will follow up when I get back

ScottCo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom