Wanted FJ60/2 Restored, restomod or built - I want the best one I can find... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been looking and trying to find the "perfect truck". Turns out there a lot of things that could be perfect. What is most important to me is the condition and have to say I like the idea of a built truck.

However great body and restored or new/replaced undercarriage, drivetrain is all important. I figure interior being done would be great, but something I could change quick and drive this summer if it isnt.

I want something I can feel is reliable for long trips and is also got AC, etc.

I like but dont have to have all of:
V8 conversion, modern EFI ideally
Lift and bigger tires/wheels, with stearing to handle it
bumpers and winch
Overland is overkill for what I need, but love the look so will consider those.
The only project I would really want to undertake is if someone has done all the work and prepared for a new drivetrain and i could have a modern LS or LT crate installed.. but dont have time for body, chassis, and a complete frame off redoux.

So, the question everyone asks, what is my budget. Before I answer that, given what I have said above, I am wondering what you guys think is an appropriate budget. I know you can contract with people if you have a truck to start with, but frankly, I am hoping to find one that someone has done all of that and is ready to move on. What I don't have at the moment is a year to wait for a project like that to be done. If I have to I will do it, but I am hoping to find one that fits the bill.

So what range am I thinking? I am sure I can find one at crazy prices, I looked at the crazy amazing over the top TLC ones, and so forth but that is too far from my perspective, but maybe that is what it takes?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Timing is everything so unless you get really lucky and find a guy right on the verge of selling you would likely have to pay a premium to get one.

They are not common by any means and certainly not common in a well done state.

What you are talking about probably cost someone 20 to 30k to have built for him on top of the cost of the truck, assuming he didn't do the work himself. Engine/drivetrain swap alone will run anywhere from 15k at the low end to 25k and more depending on the details. Bear that in mind when talking budget.

I have 3 folders full of receipts from the PO on all that was undertaken on mine. It is a lot of work usually done over a period of years and more often than not there is blood, sweat and love poured into it also. The guy who built mine only gave it up due to an acrimonious divorce forcing his hand.

For me to give it up at the moment would need to involve some similarly awful life event or a huge amount of persuasion in $$ form

The advantage to changing your mind on
What I don't have at the moment is a year to wait for a project like that to be done. If I have to I will do it, but I am hoping to find one that fits the bill

is that you get it exactly to your specs. There is a lot to be said for that and for exercising patience in general with these rigs.

ERSE -

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you, and I agree, so I am just hoping to get lucky.

I have manufactured cars, motorcycles and the like and a big part of what we did, particularly with the Ariel Atom production was custom solutions, exact to a customers specification (or over specification!). Anyway, between watching that and looking at a few restomod's and projects information that I have done I am hoping to have learned my lesson(s): Duramax diesel and Allison in a H1 hummer right before GM decided to do it for a year before killing the H1 program! I did a 502 and a 6 speed in a hummer before that. I have done various chevy V8s in all sorts of things, from FJ40 to 240z to a Corvair.. So I think luck will play a part on finding a truck someone dreamed about and built and is going to sell, either because turns out they don't have the need as much as they had the lust for the project. I feel I can say it because more than once the project was the destination, not getting the vehicle done and on the road. Sad but true. Also a few folks make it perfect and think they will keep forever, but forever comes early. (as you alluded to).

So again i agree, I am just hoping to get lucky and this add might be the horseshoe or rabbits foot to get me there.

Part of the draw for me is I have never had an FJ60/62, I have had a bunch of other LC's but this one is on my bucket list. I just sold a couple of cars, so I am actually carless for the first time since I was 13, so I might rent an aztec or something fun while I shop.

Also after further thought on this on what I am after, I guess the summary is I want something really great, and at a value. Not a low price necessarily but paying a premium over standard, but maybe less than if I did it myself.

Cheers.

I'm thinking mid 30 's to get what you want

Hi, I have a 1987 HJ60 fully frame off restored I've been thinking of moving on from. Restoration was performed throughout 2016, and since I have had it completed in October 2016, I've put less than 1,500 mi on it, while it never having seen so much as a raindrop hit it.

I have the restoration history, pictures to go with it, and all info you could ever want and need about the vehicle. Just drop me a line here and I'll be glad to email or text pics and full detailed restoration background info.

Thanks

Hi, I have a 1987 HJ60 fully frame off restored I've been thinking of moving on from. Restoration was performed throughout 2016, and since I have had it completed in October 2016, I've put less than 1,500 mi on it, while it never having seen so much as a raindrop hit it.

I have the restoration history, pictures to go with it, and all info you could ever want and need about the vehicle. Just drop me a line here and I'll be glad to email or text pics and full detailed restoration background info.

Thanks

I just sent you a PM - Thanks

Thank you all for the responses. Crazy work week but looking forward to looking through the galleries over the weekend and hopefully finding a truck.

Thank you - craig

Seems quite pricey, but maybe worth a call?

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

I find it interesting that they have a high dollar vehicle but they don't take the time to install the AC

I have an '88 FJ62, fully restored, that you might want to look at. Restoration was mostly done in 2016 and drives well, with AC.
PM me and i can send you pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom