Wanted FJ60/2 Restored, restomod or built - I want the best one I can find... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been looking and trying to find the "perfect truck". Turns out there a lot of things that could be perfect. What is most important to me is the condition and have to say I like the idea of a built truck.

However great body and restored or new/replaced undercarriage, drivetrain is all important. I figure interior being done would be great, but something I could change quick and drive this summer if it isnt.

I want something I can feel is reliable for long trips and is also got AC, etc.

I like but dont have to have all of:
V8 conversion, modern EFI ideally
Lift and bigger tires/wheels, with stearing to handle it
bumpers and winch
Overland is overkill for what I need, but love the look so will consider those.
The only project I would really want to undertake is if someone has done all the work and prepared for a new drivetrain and i could have a modern LS or LT crate installed.. but dont have time for body, chassis, and a complete frame off redoux.

So, the question everyone asks, what is my budget. Before I answer that, given what I have said above, I am wondering what you guys think is an appropriate budget. I know you can contract with people if you have a truck to start with, but frankly, I am hoping to find one that someone has done all of that and is ready to move on. What I don't have at the moment is a year to wait for a project like that to be done. If I have to I will do it, but I am hoping to find one that fits the bill.

So what range am I thinking? I am sure I can find one at crazy prices, I looked at the crazy amazing over the top TLC ones, and so forth but that is too far from my perspective, but maybe that is what it takes?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

After having owned a few resto-mod vehicles, take a fools advice....make sure it has 3-5k miles on the new setup. All of these build have some sort of gremlins that need to get worked out in the "break-in" period. I would also be aware that almost all vehicles in this class will have a set of small projects [slow power windows / door locks come to mind], that are usually the absolute last thing to get sorted out [I am guilty on this project myself]. I aslo finding myself gravitating to crate engine/transmission setups due to wiring harness and self contained nature. Just my $0.02......

After having owned a few resto-mod vehicles, take a fools advice....make sure it has 3-5k miles on the new setup. All of these build have some sort of gremlins that need to get worked out in the "break-in" period. I would also be aware that almost all vehicles in this class will have a set of small projects [slow power windows / door locks come to mind], that are usually the absolute last thing to get sorted out [I am guilty on this project myself]. I aslo finding myself gravitating to crate engine/transmission setups due to wiring harness and self contained nature. Just my $0.02......

Thank you, sage advice for sure. Craig

It is on its last hours of auction on Ebay? What do you all think it is worth? What is the guess if it will sell?

Its at 30k and it hasn't met reserve so no it won't sell as the seller is overly optimistic. No seller wants to hear it but 30 is probably close to being right for it. Especially that non standard color etc.

They just sold the stock one, the "other green one" for 37k. I was looking at that, but someone did the buy it now. The Vortec one which they say is another 25k of work minimum is about that much more than the "stock engine" one

I was the high bidder at 30,100.00

1989 Toyota FJ62 | Land Cruiser Restorations they have another one that I like a lot but it is even higher, it was built to very high spec for a customer and I think they are selling it for them. I like Jim there, just can not get there on price just yet. There are a few great trucks out there, and nothing hits the "buy it right away" buttom just yet, but a couple are close. If anyone else is selllng a great FJ60/62 let me know.

Thanks

Brammo,

You know, the real problem with these prices is resale. My FJ62 is a GREAT driver, no rust, 4:88's, rebuilt tranny, good motor, great a/c (for a cruiser), etc. I have had mine for 10 years and daily driven it most of the time. I get comments all the time, "if you ever want to sell..." Most buyers can't deal with the fact it is not a modern vehicle.

Converting to a 5.3 with a 4L60 and requisite OME and other various "while you are in there" items will run me 20-25K. The clear coat is failing so it probably needs paint, another 5-10K depending on how much prep/body work I do. New interior, say 3-5K. Let's call it between 33K and 40K and I have a killer rig. BUT, I will NEVER get my money back out of it. The market is proving it over and over. The white one in Atlanta is probably a 45K resto, and they are trying to make an additional 10K on top of it. Maybe call the up and see if they will take 40K????? Eventually they are going to take the loss.....

I am considering doing it all anyway and just keeping it forever, but at that point I would NEVER sell it.

If you don't care about resale, find a good clean truck, drop the 40K to get it the way YOU want it, and don't look back. Just enjoy the rig!!!

MB

They just sold the stock one, the "other green one" for 37k. I was looking at that, but someone did the buy it now. The Vortec one which they say is another 25k of work minimum is about that much more than the "stock engine" one

I was the high bidder at 30,100.00

As many will tell you its not about what they put in to it but what they can get out of it, those are two very different numbers for most people. If you have the money to put 40k into buying a 60 quite honestly building has to be the way to go. Then you don't have to deal with others compromises or color blindness challenged choices or their need to make a profit on it.

Well built versions come up here and elsewhere for 30k or less but it is rare, depends on how important the timing is for you. Personally I would wait or build with your choices and budget. As @Michael Browning states resale for most people would be a big consideration and on those rigs you mention your going to take a huge hit if you ever 'need' to sell. Its easy to drop 50 or 60k and having nothing to show for it in a couple of years, just ask my ex-wife.

Brammo,

You know, the real problem with these prices is resale. My FJ62 is a GREAT driver, no rust, 4:88's, rebuilt tranny, good motor, great a/c (for a cruiser), etc. I have had mine for 10 years and daily driven it most of the time. I get comments all the time, "if you ever want to sell..." Most buyers can't deal with the fact it is not a modern vehicle.

Converting to a 5.3 with a 4L60 and requisite OME and other various "while you are in there" items will run me 20-25K. The clear coat is failing so it probably needs paint, another 5-10K depending on how much prep/body work I do. New interior, say 3-5K. Let's call it between 33K and 40K and I have a killer rig. BUT, I will NEVER get my money back out of it. The market is proving it over and over. The white one in Atlanta is probably a 45K resto, and they are trying to make an additional 10K on top of it. Maybe call the up and see if they will take 40K????? Eventually they are going to take the loss.....

I am considering doing it all anyway and just keeping it forever, but at that point I would NEVER sell it.

If you don't care about resale, find a good clean truck, drop the 40K to get it the way YOU want it, and don't look back. Just enjoy the rig!!!

MB

Thanks for this feedback. I have a volley going back and forth in Atlanta, and agree, some things I dont like but can live with others. Most of the hand built ones are 40k or so, and seem a bit rich..

As many will tell you its not about what they put in to it but what they can get out of it, those are two very different numbers for most people. If you have the money to put 40k into buying a 60 quite honestly building has to be the way to go. Then you don't have to deal with others compromises or color blindness challenged choices or their need to make a profit on it.

Well built versions come up here and elsewhere for 30k or less but it is rare, depends on how important the timing is for you. Personally I would wait or build with your choices and budget. As @Michael Browning states resale for most people would be a big consideration and on those rigs you mention your going to take a huge hit if you ever 'need' to sell. Its easy to drop 50 or 60k and having nothing to show for it in a couple of years, just ask my ex-wife.

Thanks for this insight and response. I guess what I am hoping to do, if I am just "out" with what I am hoping for, is to settle on the feature set but be the benefactor of the mismatch between the cost of doing a complete project and the market value. That said, i don't mind paying a bit of a premium for a very well done vehicle, I just dont want to pay the full cost, including time and money if I do it myself. I have done too many projects that cost more than you think, take longer than you planned, and then it is hard to drive and enjoy it because you sweated every detail.

Also some people like the project part more than owning and driving and getting the daily fruits of their labor.

If and when someone decides they want to move to a new project or they want the garage space, i am ready to be a great/amazing or otherwise awesome truck for maybe a bit more than the market will bear, but somewhere south of what someone would get if they added it all up and set the price based on the project cost rather than the post-project market value.

Clearly I need more coffee, I am thinking that makes sense, but...

That looks well done, definitely worth a look
Yes, great, thanks. I have been talkign to him. Great guy, given the body work that needs to be done and many odds and ends, might be more project left to do than i was hoping for this kind of money, however... I am looking at everything and trying to find the best balance. Thank you for forwarding.

Just came across your post, I have been working on a 84 FJ60 for the last few months and will be getting ready to sell shortly, low milage (for a 33 year old truck) DM me if you are interested in some pics.

I can really see some leather seats in my near future, but gray like the older 40 seats. :) Looks like a solid truck. Deductions for headliner and paint (hood is painted black likely due to clear coat peeling), as well as brown interior.

I look at it this way. Assuming you can find a solid 60/62 for $8,000 (which I think is what should be considered a good deal based on today's prices). How much added value is the conversion? I'd say a solid $5-10k for the swap; the problem is unless you know who did the swap you never know if it was done right. Going bumper to bumper on a 60 and fixing every little thing can be expensive.

Based on a $21k price I think it's what you would pay to have the truck built yourself and have it done knowing exactly what was done. So to me personally I would not pay $21k unless I knew a reputable shop did the work (by reputable I mean a land cruiser specialty shop that is known on here).

It may be worth every penny, but if you can score a cherry 60 for $10k and then pay $10k for a swap, you are sitting at the same price point and you just built how you want.

Engine Swapped 60-Series Registry check this link.

Side note you can recover a bit of money selling a running drive train if you have the swap done yourself.

I can really see some leather seats in my near future, but gray like the older 40 seats. :) Looks like a solid truck. Deductions for headliner and paint (hood is painted black likely due to clear coat peeling), as well as brown interior.

I look at it this way. Assuming you can find a solid 60/62 for $8,000 (which I think is what should be considered a good deal based on today's prices). How much added value is the conversion? I'd say a solid $5-10k for the swap; the problem is unless you know who did the swap you never know if it was done right. Going bumper to bumper on a 60 and fixing every little thing can be expensive.

Based on a $21k price I think it's what you would pay to have the truck built yourself and have it done knowing exactly what was done. So to me personally I would not pay $21k unless I knew a reputable shop did the work (by reputable I mean a land cruiser specialty shop that is known on here).

It may be worth every penny, but if you can score a cherry 60 for $10k and then pay $10k for a swap, you are sitting at the same price point and you just built how you want.

Engine Swapped 60-Series Registry check this link.

Side note you can recover a bit of money selling a running drive train if you have the swap done yourself.

I agree with you, mostly, however I have shopped around for a v8 swap and 15k is about the minimum I was quoted. Considerably more than that when you add in a few nuances that make the swap more desirable. I would try to get the guy with the 83 down on price a good bit to account for its issues and then live with it a while and see what direction it guided you to take. Sometimes the idea of these things is very different than actually living with and using them. If that engine swap is solid and holds up for at least another 50k that is a lot of getting to know you time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom