Fj55 on Jeep Liberty Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forums.
As I don't really have the money for a perfect running Fj55, I thought I would just get some opinions and dream a little.

I found this build (photos are missing) My 55 project.
where a guy put a Fj55 onto a chevy (I think blazer).

So I was wondering has anyone thought about putting a FJ55 onto a Jeep Liberty?
Both the Fj55 and the Jeep Liberty have around a 106 inch wheelbase.
I know that wheelbase isn't the only thing you want close but just shooting this out there.

I did find a '74 Fj55 near me that seems to have a clean body, but missing lots of glass and I doubt it runs.
I think I can afford it as I won't restore it now but maybe later do a frame/drive train swap (so parts are easier to find).

Thanks for your time in advance for reading this and thanks for your thoughts!

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Kevin

Good morning,

Jeep Libertys are definitely a uni body with no frame.

Definitely an interesting idea, if youe hell bent on using a jeep chassis, you may consider a JK chassis. Yes I know it's still equally as blasphemous, BUT the amount of bolt on aftermarket parts for a JK is unreal. Skid plates, long arm suspension kits, bumpers, swing outs, sliders, axles, etc.

2 door jk is 96" and 4 door is 116". They are both the exact same frame except the 4 door is lengthen just before the rear wheels. I think either could be reworked for your needs.

Just an option!

A Toyota on a sad excuse for a jeep! Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g1365571821561890382_zps5rvttt0m.png

Hey,

Thanks DieselJeep and 74fj40 for your input.

74fj40, I guess if I went with a JK chassis, the chassis length would have to be modified?
I think my old high school friend now as this JK model, neat!

Oh mighty Google says that the Grand Cherokee (WJ/ZJ) (1993-2011) is 105.9 inches.
I'm thinking this model wasn't as popular as the JK...

I'd really choose any chassis/drivetrain where I can easily find parts for, and needs the least amount of custom work to fit everything together. The blazer is very close in wheelbase, but google searches yielded negative reviews.

Thanks guys!
Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
Kevin

Hey,

Thanks 74fj40
Would you recommend a fzj80 or a 60 series?

haha sorry dirtyboots, I'm an amateur fan of land cruisers (and cars in general).
I went to university for photography and never had a garage to learn how cars work.
So, I'm just doing some dreaming and research so when I have the money I know what needs to be done.

Thanks guys!

Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
Kevin

if serious...

the engine/drivetrain in general is the easy part on the FJ55. Most parts interchange with FJ40s and some FJ60s. The hard/expensive part on the FJ55 is the rare sheet metal/rubber parts, and exterior trim. So, if you have a good body/frame, just get a used 2F and 4 speed cheap from someone, or use a chevy 350 V8 and get it running. Tons of info on both ideas here on the forum.

Right on "Kevin" if that is your real name:cautious:....as mentioned before I would keep the 55 chassis and run another drive train and if you're feeling really frisky throw some suspension links or etc. underneath..55s are so freakin' awesome, would really enjoy watching a build with good pics!

This isn't a build thread, but it'll give you some ideas of the possibilities.
1970 Toyota Land Cruiser on KSL.com
If the wheel base and other various bits match up, I'd vote for a 80 series swap. They're pretty cheap right now(~$2500 for high mileage running). Might even get lockers, but those seem to fetch a bit
More price wise.

This 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser (chassis FJ55052129) is complete and benefits from a lot of recent work including new tie rods, master cylinder, brake lines and pads/drums plus more detailed in the listing, but has some rust issues and recently stopped running due to what sounds like a seized motor. The interior looks decently clean with a nice dash, upholstery, and fully functional electrics, and though we can see some rot in the rockers floors look to be pretty solid. Find it here on eBay in Seaside, Oregon with reserve not met.
???Who are you talking too? Is this spam?

Jeep liberty? Ok, well i've been banned from IH8mud for less than this. Come on moderators!

???Who are you talking too? Is this spam?

It is the guys first post and he did just join Friday, so I'm guessing it's spam. On the other hand, it solves the OP question of getting a 55. His plan of putting a Jeep unibody on a 55 does not seem well thought out. With all the time and money you will spend on doing that, you can fix up a 55 anyway you want.

Seems to me if kevinh had the skills to do this type of work, he would know what vehicles this would be doable with. Sounds like another Internet dreamer.

Sad enough, There is a guy who has an 80's jeep cherokee on a fj55 frame here in courtenay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom