FJ55 No Spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 1971 FJ55 that has been motor swapped with a 1.5F. I'm absolutely stumped. I can get the truck to turn over, but no matter what I do, I get no spark.

I have installed a new coil, plug wires, condenser, points, distributor cap, checked every ground, and still nothing. I've gone through every wiring diagram I can get my hands on and they all say the same thing. Starter to coil, Ignition to coil, negative to dizzy, secondary to dizzy, yet noting. Is there something I am missing?

Another thing to note, the alternator is not hooked up as the water pump is frozen from spinning.

My question is, would the voltage regulator that is connected to the alternator need to be in line with the ignition system for any sort of spark?

Thank you all in advance!

-Neal

Have you tried hooking a jumper wire from your battery to your coil?
Hey Mike,

Yeah, and I get spark when grounding out the coil when directly connected off the secondary to a plug. I'm absolutely at a loss. It is the original Denso distributor to my knowledge. However, I have pulled it all apart, checked the gap and it spins freely engaging the points. I don't know where else to look!

Hey Mike,

Yeah, and I get spark when grounding out the coil when directly connected off the secondary to a plug. I'm absolutely at a loss. It is the original Denso distributor to my knowledge. However, I have pulled it all apart, checked the gap and it spins freely engaging the points. I don't know where else to look!
Can you send a picture showing where you are grounding the terminals?

I'm not near the truck currently, but the I have cleaned the ground at the block near tear the front lift position and the starter is grounded from the starter stud to the frame. I have continuity all over the place, but can't seem to get it to spark.

I will send a photo ASAP to maybe help. I appreciate your help.

I'm not near the truck currently, but the I have cleaned the ground at the block near tear the front lift position and the starter is grounded from the starter stud to the frame. I have continuity all over the place, but can't seem to get it to spark.

I will send a photo ASAP to maybe help. I appreciate your help.
Are these the terminals that you are touching?

947E4E94-A3A3-458C-B029-29280AC8E8F4.jpeg

Yessir. Battery to coil +, secondary to plug, battery - to plug threads, and coil - intermittently to plug to check spark. All seems good at the coil, but when I open the distributor cap, I can't seem to ground out it out for spark at the points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom